Sign in to follow this  
rbm

Saint Bernard Resort - Bantayan Island

rbm

I'm sorry to hear somebody stole your motorbike while you were here. Though Santa Fe people are a peaceable and friendly bunch, and crime isn't really an issue, it still isn't advisable to leave the keys in the ignition.

The majority of cottages in the similar price range in Philippines do not have fridges, if other resorts in Bantayan are installing them thats great how ever again thats not the norm.

Absoloute rubbish, I am first not a guest house owner and nobody has ever stolen my motor bike in Bantayan or anywhere else. The Bantayan folks are an extremely friendly lot and I spent many hours chatting with them.

Again I would recommend this Resort to anybody and rate it as one of the best and friendliest I have ever stayed in.

Doc Smith
Absoloute rubbish, I am first not a guest house owner and nobody has ever stolen my motor bike in Bantayan or anywhere else.

I'm just guessing, but I think udonthani was cracking a joke at how you would be walking such a distance when you mentioned you had brought your bike, though I think it makes sense you would stroll you way up the beach and leave your bike somewhere. After all, what exactly do people do on that island other than swim and walk around (and for the booze hounds, get drunk).

rbm

----------------

Help me understand what you mean. I knew RBM was talking about going up the west side of Cebu and not Bantayan. You seem to say that the west side road has less traffic and that would imply it was a faster trip, yet in your next sentence you say it tool more than five hours to get there from Toledo and that you think it would have been faster to go to Cebu City and then gone up from there (presumably using the east side road). If I was to drive myself, do you think its better for me to cut across to the west side via the Transcentral Highway and then take the west side up to the ferry to Bantayan or just go up the east side. If it would only take 2.5 hours by bus to get there on the east side, that must be the fastest route from Cebu as it can take 45 min or so just to get to Balamban on the Transcentral highway

Hello Doc, I thought your on the way to Legazpi to get pics of the beautiful mayon....

Anyway maybe I can help explain, for myself I prefer to use less busy roads that offer some good photo opps. I normally take the road to Balamban if going North or South, for me time is not a problem.

Its a nice ride from Balamban up to San Remigio, the road while nothing like the East is in my opinion far more interesting and as Mr Whippy says very little traffic. Its a little patcy in places and one can not travel very fast as opposed to the East side. I would be guessing this route takes about 3 times as long, the trade off is the tranquility of the travel, wonderful prolonged views of negros occidental and some cute little barangays one passes.The famous resort of San Remigio is hardy worth a visit and way over priced.

There are some nice hotels in Bogo to stay in, particulary one, sorry I cannot remember the name how ever its ....lodge, I did view the rooms and was very impressed, about P800 , just 6 months old and down town.Easy to find as well known.

Bogo is quiet an historic place and I was impressed with some of the info available pertaining to the japanese occupation.

Unless your restricted by a very tight budget, as some are, please try Saint Bernardo (especially if you like birds, the feathered variety, owner has fabulous avaries) I admit I do not have the considerable experience of Mr Whippy in Bantayan as have stayed there just 4 times over the years. Still I have zero complaints about this resort. If your on a Mr Whippy style budget he has written some excellent posts where one can stay for super cheap prices and prepare their own meals.

let us know how your trips goes.

udonthani

However, I'm not really sure what value just a refrigerator would add.

on some islands, like Camiguin, you literally can't buy a beer after 9pm apart from the capital. That's when all the stores close. There might be a foreign resort five or ten minutes walk away selling tiny SM's for 40, but they'll probably close about 10.30 too. What are you supposed to do if you want to sit up late on the balcony and sink a few? A fridge and 2 or 3 large SMs will do the trick, but nothing else will.

it's not so bad in some of the neighbouring countries (that, ironically, tend to provide fridges anyway in rooms) because their infrastructures are better and there's a far greater likelihood of there being 24 hour convenience stores selling ice out of freezers right round the clock, even in very small towns. I can't tell you the number of times I've tried to look for ice at about 11pm in some places here. In Dumaguete, there is ONE convenience store of this kind, that would likely involve me getting on a motorbike and coming back with a bag of ice to keep my beers cold for the next 2 hours or so. I would never have that problem elsewhere, as you always know that a 24 hour convenience store with a freezer and with ice will be within walking distance pretty much wherever there's streetlights.

and it's not just for drinks. Think about all the fruit, chocolate, and everything else that needs cooling.

also, think about all the old-guy customers, and also the tiny few number of families with children that come to the Philippines. How are they supposed to make sure that whatever medicines they need to take maintain their freshness if they haven't got a fridge in this climate? Are they expected to get a luxury room to answer that basic need?

fridges are not a luxury. They're a basic amenity. I don't mind paying extra for one, but you can't always do that and even when you can, they sometimes put an exhorbitant charge on it. Pacific Pensionne, for example, in most respects one of the better guesthouses in Cebu city, charges a totally outrageous 200 pesos for a fridge. Some other places manage to make it just 50, which to my way of thinking is about right. That's what the neighbouring countries charge if you want to pay for an optional fridge, if there isn't one already in your room, which usually there is.

You seem to say that the west side road has less traffic and that would imply it was a faster trip

less traffic means less people, less buses and less jeeps and v-hires. You just have to wait longer for your rides. I could get v-hires north all the way to Hagnaya from Cebu, say to Danao, to Carmen, to Bogo, and then to Hagnaya in far less time than it takes to make a similar journey up the west side.

Doc Smith
I thought your on the way to Legazpi to get pics of the beautiful mayon....

Ya, I'm still hoping to go, but the various things keeping me busy this time of year are still holding me back. It seems the real action was on the 23rd/24th which would have been an impossible time for me to go. It seems timing is everything for me and is constantly driving my ability to do anything.

I'm not saying I would run up to Bantayan next week! If I dont plan stuff out over a 3 month period then I never get to do anything! Anyway, I just got back from Thailand a while ago and dont mind waiting for something like that. However, Bohol is first.

Thanks for the clarity on why the east side road can be busier yet still take less time.