how not to behave at ATM's

udonthani

udonthani

this German lady age about 60 was ahead of me in the ATM queue today.

she took out some money in 500s then walked a few steps away and counted out the money, back to the wall, facing the street, in full view of at what must have been at least 50 people. I counted it too same time as she did, as indeed any of those 50 people could have - the machine hadn't short changed her - it gave her 10,000 in 500s.

that is bad enough, but then she just stuffed the money into her shoulder bag, not even into a purse or anything, and just walked off, with the bag hanging off her right shoulder towards the street. Two on a bike could easily have followed her, and slashed it off in half a second, revved up and away. Chances are she'd never have got the reg, even if the bike was registered.

There are instructions posted at most ATMs warning against just this behavior of hers.

I see this stuff all the time depite the warning posters.

In addition to the open recounting of withdrawn funds, there are the over-the-shoulder gawkers who, very indiscreetly, watch transactions in process. There are even the technologically-challenged elderly (bless them) who happily give their card to the guard to transact in their stead and announce their PIN for all to hear.

I have even been fortunate enough to be behind people who have multiple cards each with written instructions for amounts to be withdrawn. I don't know if they do it for various family members located afar or are just the office runner doing it for everyone at work... but egads! There is certainly some trust there!

I don't count money I get out of the ATM. I have never gotten the wrong amount, it is either all there or none. And if they gave you the wrong amount, there is probably nothing you can do about it anyway and presumably you can tell that it is pretty close to the amount just by quickly handling it. And the theft risk is greater if you sit there and count it.

In South America I got into the habit of putting my other hand over the key pin pad when typing in my pin and I still do that here in the Phils. This helps foil hidden cameras and lookey-loos.

Tomas

I can already hear her complaining about what kind of evil criminals the Filipinos are...this behaviour isn't wise at all, be it here,in the US or in Europe or anywhere...and,my opinion, one who has just a little bit of common sense doesn't need any advice posted on the atm

musicman666

she is probably safer than everyone else... they all think is an entrapment setup.

There are instructions posted at most ATMs warning against just this behavior of hers.

But the instructions weren't in German

This sort of thing drives me crazy. Why not just wear a sign that says, "I have X in my pocket."?

Even the bank tellers inside whom I deal with regularly know if they count my money aloud as they lay it on the counter, they're getting cussed out...

Sadly she is making herself a target. What she needs to do is have a friend and or relative go with her and be her lookout because others are looking at her.

I've never been short changed at an ATM. Although, I have had the ATM machineat Makro steal P22,000 from me. The machine never dispensed the monies.

Luckily, a quick call to my bank had the debit reversed back into my account within a few days of verifying it with the Banco de Oro (owner of the ATM there).

I hate this machine...a few times it took over 30 seconds to dispense money. Never us it for large amounts.

In South America I got into the habit of putting my other hand over the key pin pad when typing in my pin and I still do that here in the Phils. This helps foil hidden cameras and lookey-loos.

That is good practice whatever country you are in as is standing close to the machine to block the view. Also use more than one finger when entering your pin makes it more difficult to observe.

how many of you have been robbed in the atm both or after just coming out taking out cash?

Never! But on several occassions, I have been accosted by street children hoping to get freshly dispensed bill immediately after using the machine. Does that count?

A_Simple_Man

how many of you have been robbed in the atm both or after just coming out taking out cash?

Now THAT is an interesting question. We have all heard of someone who knew a victim or read about it somewhere but I have no first hand knowledge of it ever happening to anyone I know.

Perhaps its one of those stories that gets believed be constantly retelling . . kind of like eggs must be refrigerated . . which I found out to be BS once I started shopping in Cebu.

Sadly she is making herself a target. What she needs to do is have a friend and or relative go with her and be her lookout because others are looking at her.

If I happen to be withdrawing money alone, I stand close to the machine and put my bag in front of me, deliberately covering it and preventing others from looking. I don't count the money, I put it straight inside my bag.

If my daughter is with me, I have her stand behind me, facing the people waiting in line.