Sign in to follow this  
thebob

Ocular inspection

thebob

"Ocular inspection" is one of the phrases that crops up from time to time in the Philippines. It is one of those things that make me smile.

When I first heard a lawyer say that he wanted to perform an ocular inspection on some land, I remember thinking that land doesn't have eyes.

I often wonder how some phrases that are peculiar to Phliplish came to be.

What is wrong with "visual", or is it that people try to avoid pronouncing "V"'s ?

I think archaic uses like this make English in the Philippines distinctive.

mikejwoodnz

"Ocular inspection" is one of the phrases that crops up from time to time in the Philippines. It is one of those things that make me smile.

When I first heard a lawyer say that he wanted to perform an ocular inspection on some land, I remember thinking that land doesn't have eyes.

I often wonder how some phrases that are peculiar to Phliplish came to be.

What is wrong with "visual", or is it that people try to avoid pronouncing "V"'s ?

I think archaic uses like this make English in the Philippines distinctive.

The phrase was originaly written by William Shakespeare in the play "Othello" as follows:

OTHELLO. Villain, be sure thou prove my love a whore! Be sure of it. Give me the ocular proof, Or, by the worth of mine external soul, Thou hadst been better have been born a dog Than answer my waked wrath! (3.3.375-379)

Mik

What's wrong with simply saying "inspection"? No need to make speech complex and obscure the meaning.

How To Diagnose If A Community Is Declining: Losing Sanity

4. Determine if the general use of language is losing discipline, for this can only mean the general use of thought is also losing discipline, which is a decay of understanding. Such a result is indicated by the disappearance of plain speaking from citizens' sentiments. An undeniable symptom of the malaise is the deliberate use of more words than necessary, such as invoking "at this moment in time" instead of "now", or "the state of the art" instead of "latest". And the addition of surplus words such as converting a "riot" into a "riot situation" and "opportunity" into "a window of opportunity". As well as the blurring of meaning caused by the popular adoption of vague words like "situation, position" and now (circa 2003) "focus". The less precise our language the less precise our thoughts, and the less precise our thoughts the more vague our language; which is a self-sustaining cycle of increasing weakness of understanding. Or as George Orwell put it:

"A man may take to drink because he feels himself to be a failure, and then fail all the more completely because he drinks. It is rather the same thing that is happening to the English language. It becomes ugly and inaccurate because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts."Politics And The English Language, 1946

Which makes decay in the general use of language the indisputable hallmark of a declining civilization...

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/diagnose.htm

Language Is Understanding

1. Language is the expression of thought, with the translation of notions into words being the act of understanding.

2. The understanding of an idea can be improved by simplifying the words used to express the idea.

3. The understanding of an idea can be improved by shortening the number of words used to express the idea.

4. The exercise of improving the expression of an idea, is the improvement of the understanding of that idea.

5. The more plain the use of language, the more clearly an idea is revealed. The more clearly an idea is revealed, the better the understanding of that idea.

6. If an idea cannot be expressed in plain English, it cannot be understood.

- which is why all English speaking citizens should strive to use plain English in their thoughts as well as their communications.

Nevertheless language is merely a discipline where meaning is created by the universal adoption of the rules of spelling and grammar. So:

i. Clear thinking is disciplined thinking while confused thinking is undisciplined thinking.

ii. The less discipline a man reveals in the use of language, the less disciplined are his thoughts and the less reliable are his opinions.

iii. Improvement in the discipline of a man's use of language must reflect an improvement in the discipline of that man's thoughts. Whereas decay in the discipline of a man's use of language must reflect decay in the discipline of that man's thoughts...

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/undrstnd.htm

Edited by M.Morey

mikejwoodnz

What's wrong with simply saying "inspection"? No need to make speech complex and obscure the meaning.

4. Determine if the general use of language is losing discipline, for this can only mean the general use of thought is also losing discipline, which is a decay of understanding. Such a result is indicated by the disappearance of plain speaking from citizens' sentiments. An undeniable symptom of the malaise is the deliberate use of more words than necessary, such as invoking "at this moment in time" instead of "now", or "the state of the art" instead of "latest". And the addition of surplus words such as converting a "riot" into a "riot situation" and "opportunity" into "a window of opportunity". As well as the blurring of meaning caused by the popular adoption of vague words like "situation, position" and now (circa 2003) "focus". The less precise our language the less precise our thoughts, and the less precise our thoughts the more vague our language; which is a self-sustaining cycle of increasing weakness of understanding. Or as George Orwell put it:

"A man may take to drink because he feels himself to be a failure, and then fail all the more completely because he drinks. It is rather the same thing that is happening to the English language. It becomes ugly and inaccurate because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts."

Jay

When I was filing a report at the tanods'office after our apartment was robbed, the desk sergeant asked me if I wanted an occular. Not "occular inspection", just "occular". I thought he was offering me an eye examination and things went a bit surreal for a moment until I figured out that he was offering to have an officer inspect the apartment as part of the police report, in case that was required by my insurance company.

Back on topic, there are a few words/expressions that always make me smile too:

"Buy one, take one". If I buy one, of course I'm going to take one- I just bought it!

When I'd been here for just a few weeks I was asked about where I'm from, followed by asking if I commute. At first I thought he meant commute between Seattle and Cebu on a regular basis, so I answered as such before realizing that he was just asking if I'd ridden jeepneys yet.

I still get a bit confused by people's choice of wording here sometimes, but not as often as when I was still a green pea.

USMC-Retired

Well said.

"A man may take to drink because he feels himself to be a failure, and then fail all the more completely because he drinks. It is rather the same thing that is happening to the English language. It becomes ugly and inaccurate because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts."

thebob

For a while?

Jay

Odd (to me) use of the word "already", as in this example:

Manny, he said, told him that Cotto's camp wanted to stop already after the 11th round because of the beating he received at the hands of the Filipino champion.

Maybe it's a direct translation from Cebuano where they add it as an imperative or something?

"Signage" instead of "sign", as in "Look for the blue signage on the right". I've started saying that myself, to make sure I'm understood. People back in the US will laugh at me if I do it there (if I ever do go back). This is another example of making the language sound more pretentious than it needs to, like the OP's "occular inspection".

Edited by Jay