taxi, trike and other transportation 'mafias' in the Philippines

Basic small market capitalism. Charge what the customer will bear.

but the vendor has to get used to the customer turning round and telling them to go and feck themselves as well. That's small market capitalism too.

Why do you always have to be mean to people, Udonthani?

Why can't you be nice to people?

Last year, around these months, there were already a lot of carolers singing from one house to another. And in Guadalupe, there was a group of young men who came over to the house singing and my ex-bf refused to even say "Come back next month." It scared me as those young men knew there was a foreigner in that house we were staying. One of them shouted "Masunog gani ni inyong balay dili gyud mi motabang ninyo!" meaning "If your house was on fire, we would never help you."

We don't have to pay to be nice to people. It's actually an investment. Be nice to them coz time might come that you will need their help.

Edited by Angie
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• smokey

• Angie

• Doc Smith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

udonthani

I nearly always give a peso or two to carol singers, or even just ordinary singers, when the songs aren't even an attempt at a Christmas carol, though there are times when it can be somewhat irritating. At least its not begging, and I'm generous with kids anyway wherever I am.

and also I have to say that 95% of the time I don't get ripped off at all, and nobody tries any funny stuff.

however there's no way I'm going to pay twice or three times over the odds what a Filipino pays for a friggin' bunch of flowers. I'm sorry, but that is just soft. One wonders if that guy loves his wife enough, or is soft enough, or wants to throw his money at Filipinos enough, to pay twice the going rate for a house, a car, or a motorcycle too.

that she didn't raise a stink about it would also ring alarm bells for me also. If a girl cares more about the welfare of some stranger selling flowers, just because they happen to be Filipino, and allows their guy to get ripped off, there's something badly wrong. If somebody made a habit of doing that with me, placing the welfare of their compatriots over and above mine and hers, you can be sure they'd be on a bus headed back to the sticks before too long.

I nearly always give a peso or two to carol singers, or even just ordinary singers, when the songs aren't even an attempt at a Christmas carol, though there are times when it can be somewhat irritating. At least its not begging, and I'm generous with kids anyway wherever I am.

and also I have to say that 95% of the time I don't get ripped off at all, and nobody tries any funny stuff.

Then, you should be grateful.

I don't think being generous to carolers and kids gives you the absolute right to say mean words to adults. It's your choice of words that makes you rude and mean to us.

smokey

however there's no way I'm going to pay twice or three times over the odds what a Filipino pays for a friggin' bunch of flowers. I'm sorry, but that is just soft. One wonders if that guy loves his wife enough, or is soft enough, or wants to throw his money at Filipinos enough, to pay twice the going rate for a house, a car, or a motorcycle too.

that she didn't raise a stink about it would also ring alarm bells for me also. If a girl cares more about the welfare of some stranger selling flowers, just because they happen to be Filipino, and allows their guy to get ripped off, there's something badly wrong. If somebody made a habit of doing that with me, placing the welfare of their compatriots over and above mine and hers, you can be sure they'd be on a bus headed back to the sticks before too long.

you sure must think of yourself the donald trump of cebu ... If every trike you ride charges 30p and then one day a guy says the price is 35 p you assume he is ripping you off?

Basic small market capitalism. Charge what the customer will bear.

that's fine, but the vendor has to get used to the customer turning round and telling them to go and feck themselves as well. That's small market capitalism too.

No, that's being crude. You are one sick sad sack.

udonthani

it's no less contemptible than some asshole trying to charge three times the market rate for no discernible reason other than he thinks he can, because he thinks the sucker doesn't know what prices are. Of course 35 peso over 30 pesos would be of no concern to me. 150 over 30 though, which is what the assholes at Moalboal bus station are trying to fix, is a different issue. Seriously, do you think it's acceptable to for drivers to get their heads together, rig the market, and fix prices like that? It's not 'small market capitalism' by half. It's just rank criminality.

smokey

it's no less contemptible than some asshole trying to charge three times the market rate for no discernible reason other than he thinks he can, because he thinks the sucker doesn't know what prices are. Of course 35 peso over 30 pesos would be of no concern to me. 150 over 30 though, which is what the assholes at Moalboal bus station are trying to fix, is a different issue. Seriously, do you think it's acceptable to for drivers to get their heads together, rig the market, and fix prices like that? It's not 'small market capitalism' by half. It's just rank criminality.

\

ways to solve this overcharging

1 dont use or shop there

2 learn to do without the service

3 buy your own bike or car

4 buy your own trike and let everyone know you charge only 5 peso and there for putting the guy out of business

5 book a flight to another country

6 move to columbia

7 Move back to the US and ask the goverment to get you a personal trike

\

ways to solve this overcharging

1 dont use or shop there

2 learn to do without the service

3 buy your own bike or car

4 buy your own trike and let everyone know you charge only 5 peso and there for putting the guy out of business

5 book a flight to another country

6 move to columbia

7 Move back to the US and ask the goverment to get you a personal trike

Very funny, Robert!!! :biggrin_01::D:)

The Mason

all of this pain can be fixed ..... stay home..

Yeah, stop complaining and stay home :biggrin_01::D:) !

Hear, hear! Foreigners should just bend over and let locals stick it up their ass whenever requested. Whatever happened to the good old days when people just got ripped off and shut their mouth about it? Crazy foreigners always complaining.

Edited by The Mason

Hear, hear! Foreigners should just bend over and let locals stick it up their ass whenever requested. Whatever happened to the good old days when people just got ripped off and shut their mouth about it? Crazy foreigners always complaining.

touche..... biggrin_01.gif

Although I almost always drive my car here in Bacolod, I can say that in most cases, trikes and taxis charge a "fair" price here.

The oposite is true for the Angeles City, Fields Ave, Balibago, Clark Airbase area (I lived in that area for 2 years) .... Udonthani is right, the trikes are a total rip-off. You won't get in one and take a ride across the street for less than 50 pesos! There is no trike ride less than 50 pesos!

The mayor of Angeles City established a "fair pricing matrix" for trikes in the area, but literally NO trike driver will follow the recommended rate.

50 pesos for a 50 meter trike ride is crazy to say the least!

Sure, you can "vote with your feet" and not take these rip-off trike drivers in Angeles, but what they are doing is just wrong .... and the local trike driver's union is just too powerful for anyone to stop the price gouging in that area of the PI.

EDIT: The "foreigner's" had a powerfull tool at there disposal during the days when the USAF was active at Clark .... The base commander would just put Angeles City "off-limits" to all the military stationed at Clark if he felt the locals were price gouging in any way .... This hit the entire area directly in the pocketbook, and mysteriously the problem would be quickly solved.

Unfortunatly, the good old "Base Days" are now just a memory now!

Edited by Turbota
A_Simple_Man

50 pesos for a 50 meter trike ride is crazy to say the least!

There is a place on Mactan where you will pay 30 pesos for a 30 meter ride. Yes, you likely will pay it.

The trick is . . there are a couple of Sutukils hidden away down by the water. You usually find them when the tide is out . . . because when you are finished eating the tide has come in and the water is up to at least your knees . . unless you take the trike across the parking lot.

smokey

if the base was still here there would be 1000000ssss of young fit foreigners and us old farts would not get a second look... so always look at the good in everything