taxi, trike and other transportation 'mafias' in the Philippines

If the guy selling burgers wanted to rip you off, he would charge more than just one peso.

if he'd have tried to charge me more than 1 peso, I'd just have told him to stuff the burgers he'd just cooked up his ass.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day you complained of severe stomachache.

If that's how you are treating people selling food then expect that you'll be eating something with people's saliva and whatever dirt they can mix with your food.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• smokey

• Angie

• Doc Smith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

got a totally ludicrous kano 'tax' a couple of days ago, on a buy-one-take-one cheese burger in Argao. I got charged me 31 instead of the 30 displayed on the sign. I just laughed. That was the guy in the stand. The next day, same stand, same order, his wife charged us only 30.

we tried to figure out if he charged us for the plastic bag, or what, but I think it was probably a tax. It's not the money - one peso is nothing to a Filipino, especially not one with a business. It's the principle, and even it's one peso, it should be observed. Quite a lot of them really think the foreigners should pay more every time, for everything.

Hi Udon, is possible perhaps they charge you 1 pesos more, cause u ask for some extra sauce to fill in your burger ? it just a curiosity, cause is weird, but you didnt ask why, u had to pay 31 instead of 30 ? anyway forget about, 1 pesos as u mentioned is nothing, what is important is that the burger u ate was good tongue_01.gif

Giotto

udonthani

I've sold food for a living off and on for twenty-odd years, same way that guy does, exact same type of business. All you have to do is point to the sticker and you get sorted with what you want. The prices are clearly displayed, and everybody pays the same. You don't have to speak a word of English to get what you want.

I think if I had the sheer gall to charge somebody 60 or 70 instead of 50 just because they looked a bit different from most of the others then the customer would be well within his or rights to tell me to go and feck myself throw the stuff right back in my face. It's totally unacceptable.

smokey

This is the philippines and as such foreigners are subject to certain market pricing that seems unfair , well there are two very easy ways to combat this ... first dont shop at this establishment or second book a flight to another country and spend your money there... Most people assume a tourist is a person with so much extra money they can afford to wander the world so there is not much pity for them when it comes to charging them a little extra .. Fair ? NO reality .. YES... dont like it??? see ways to combat this number 2

twostrokes

Besides, every city that has tourist around has tourist tax, and definately here in the USA too. We just voted as a city to continue the 1% (i think it is) "tourist tax" which is applied to every hotel/motel bill in the city limits...It was used to build the AT&T center for the Spurs to play in, It is being used to extend the great RiverWalk another couple miles in each direction....So most businesses figure that if the city can legally charge a tourist tax, why can't they up their prices too...That's why I havn't been downtown since I moved back to this City...Cuz it is for tourists...and I ain't gonna pay the tourist price. Point being, nobody likes it, but it is not considered stealing, it is considered good economics.

In the years I have been in the Philippines full time, and preceding years (since the very early 90's) part time, I have never had issues like you, and others I have read about over these years, have. So, my continued advice to you is:

Learn to treat others as you wish to be treated. (I feel as though you probably come across to them as some sort of arrogant asshole. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.) Learn how to speak the local language of the area you frequent the most, or, learn Tagalog. (If you do this, you will be accepted more, because they will see you as someone who isn't merely a tourist.) If you can't follow the previous mentioned advice, you always have Robert's item number 2 to fall back on.

canadianguy

I remember my first time in the phil. My wife took me to a flower shop so I could buy her some flowers for valentines day. I asked her to take me because I didnt know my way around and she wont let me out on my own because of the muggings and robberies. Anyway a filopino was in there buying a dozen roses and the lady working there said thats 250 pesos to the guy. He left and I said I will take the same, a dozen roses. So she prepared them and gave them to me and said "550 pesos please". I looked at my wife and started laughing and I paid the girl. Outside my wife said whats so funny? I said the guy before me bought the same flowers for 250 pesos. My wife then laughed and said get used to it. I'm not one to complain. Plus I didn't want to cheapen the gift or myself by complaining. She is worth the extra 300 and they were nice flowers. Would I go back there? No. Have I bought my wife flowers since? Yes. It doesn't always pay to charge a tourist extra. I have spent much more then 300 php at other flower shops that did not over charge me.

This is the philippines and as such foreigners are subject to certain market pricing that seems unfair , well there are two very easy ways to combat this ... first dont shop at this establishment or second book a flight to another country and spend your money there... Most people assume a tourist is a person with so much extra money they can afford to wander the world so there is not much pity for them when it comes to charging them a little extra .. Fair ? NO reality .. YES... dont like it??? see ways to combat this number 2

This is a very good advice :thumbsup:!!!

Basic small market capitalism. Charge what the customer will bear.

My first trip was during Sinulog. Walking around downtown I got overheated and went to buy a San Mig from a street vendor. With her back turned to me she said "7 pesos Sir". After turning around she changed it to 15! I smiled, shook my finger and said "Seven is fine" while holding out the coins. She smiled back and replied "Salamat".

she wont let me out on my own because of the muggings and robberies.

Because of muggings and robberies? Now that's a classic!!! :thumbsup:

Because of muggings and robberies? Now that's a classic!!! :)

Well, there is SOME truth to that as other Filipinas have been known to accost and steal foreigners away. :)

udonthani

that's fine, but the vendor has to get used to the customer turning round and telling them to go and feck themselves as well. That's small market capitalism too.

it's like when a trike driver asks somebody to pay 70 for a ride that's only worth 20. I usually tell them that if I walk, I'll get healthy, but if you don't work, then you will starve.

liquido

So was when he blatantly overpaid the 300p for the flowers...now your in the price range were principal comes in........

Because of muggings and robberies? Now that's a classic!!! :)

thebob

that's fine, but the vendor has to get used to the customer turning round and telling them to go and feck themselves as well. That's small market capitalism too.

it's like when a trike driver asks somebody to pay 70 for a ride that's only worth 20. I usually tell them that if I walk, I'll get healthy, but if you don't work, then you will starve.

The vender aslo has a right to overcharge obnoxious rude customers. Assuming that a trike driver will starve because he refuses your offer does not take into account the market dynamics.

If the trike driver is in a busy place where he can pick up a lot of customers, often he can make more because his full trike is going somewhere he knows he can get returning passengers.

If the ride is only "worth" 20 pesos to you, and the driver thinks your custom is "worth" 70 pesos to him, I think he is in the position that he has more knowledge of the market that you do. So you better pay up or get walking.

smokey

The vender aslo has a right to overcharge obnoxious rude customers. Assuming that a trike driver will starve because he refuses your offer does not take into account the market dynamics.

If the trike driver is in a busy place where he can pick up a lot of customers, often he can make more because his full trike is going somewhere he knows he can get returning passengers.

If the ride is only "worth" 20 pesos to you, and the driver thinks your custom is "worth" 70 pesos to him, I think he is in the position that he has more knowledge of the market that you do. So you better pay up or get walking.

i dont think the vast amounts of money some posters think they are spending will have as large of an affect on the trike drivers as he thinks..