taxi, trike and other transportation 'mafias' in the Philippines

udonthani

this is where taxi drivers and the local police/fixers get together and fix prices and inflate them to rip off the tourists.

first-time arrivals to the Philippines will get a taste of this if they arrive at Clark. There's always a fixer there who demands at first 400 or 500 pesos for a very short ride into Balibago, and won't settle for less than 300. The drive is very short, around 3.5km, and would normally be worth no more than about 50 pesos in the Philippines on a normal meter taxi with a 30 peso flagfall.

it's quite difficult to get round, as in order to get a 12 peso jeepney into town, you have to walk nearly 1km to the main road, not an appealing proposition with a bag in the hot sun. A driver may intercept you during the walk, and accept 200 but probably not any less than that.

coming back, it's also difficult to find a taxi for less than 300, though I did find a driver willing to take me for 250 last week.

it's not the driver's fault. The police in charge of the airport apparently charge them a tax for every drop off and pick up.

trikes in general in the Balibago area are also a rip off. Very difficult to get a even a 20 peso ride these days, most of the drivers won't take you even 1km for less than 50. I did find a trike driver that hung around the hotels near the Petrona gas station that would take me to the SM mall 1km for 20, but that was exceptional/lucky. All the others wouldn't do it, so I either took the 7 peso jeepney or else walked if that guy wasn't around (I gave him a box of chocolates for his wife as a tip shortly before I left after 4 days). The prices from the mall, when a fixer controls the waiting drivers, are also fixed, and even getting 50 for a 1km ride from there is difficult. They're looking to get 70.

though it's been almost 2 years since I was there, another place where there was definite price-fixing was in Cebu - at the Moalboal bus station, for passengers looking to get the 7km out to White Beach. The drivers wouldn't accept less than 150, which was totally exhorbitant. Coming the other way, from White beach INTO Moalboal, the multi cab to cover the 7km was 10pp.

there must be other places where this kind of cartel/price fixing exists too.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• smokey

• Angie

• Doc Smith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

udonthani

in your post you specifically state "rip off the tourists". Do you literally mean that they only do this to tourists? Would a local get the taxi for standard fairs, or is this actually applied to everyone?

it depends. At Clark, the locals pay the extra too. I saw several of them that been on my plane from KL starting the long hike to the perimeter of the base for a jeepney when I was in my taxi. The attitude probably is that if you're Filipino and you can afford to take a plane, then you can afford to pay six times what a taxi ride is worth too.

at Moalboal, trike drivers would never charge a Filipino 150 though.

all of this pain can be fixed ..... stay home..

Yeah, stop complaining and stay home :welcome::):lol: !

Balintawak

Yeah, stop complaining and stay home :lol::lol::lol: !

:welcome:

I was asked 300 pesos from mabolo to the airport because then the driver did not have return! :)

going to mactan ap cost less than 150. Its smth about airports huh.

when I visit bacolod the first time, the carry guys came and rip the bag of my exs hands,, wanted to charge 80 pesos for carrying it like 20 metres. other than that I never had a bad expirience of price nor "sightseeing trip" within cebu city.

thebob

though it's been almost 2 years since I was there, another place where there was definite price-fixing was in Cebu - at the Moalboal bus station, for passengers looking to get the 7km out to White Beach. The drivers wouldn't accept less than 150, which was totally exhorbitant. Coming the other way, from White beach INTO Moalboal, the multi cab to cover the 7km was 10pp.

Moalboal is a tricky place for tricycles, especially going to White Beach.

Because it is a destination on Sundays for locals, you hear lots of complaints from people from the city. And then when you arrive the make you pay to go on the beach!

One day someone will try to run a scheduled multicab, and then all the trike drivers will be out of work. The worst thing about Moalboal trikes is that they predate the concrete road, so they are the small, cramped off road ones. The Negros style large trikes are so much more comfortable.

The Moalboal system runs by queueing, so a trike sets off when seriously over full. You pay 8 pesos per ride, so a run into Panagsama is 16 pesos.

A "special ride" is where you "charter the trike" the given price will start at about 200p but you should be aiming for 50 - 75p during the negotiation.

If you give the name of an expensive resort, the fare will reflect your affluence. If you are hunting for a resort, the driver will be given a commission for taking you there.

Moalboal is one of the few places where expats seem to outnumber tourists, but it has also created a ghost town of houses with absent owners.

udonthani

A "special ride" is where you "charter the trike" the given price will start at about 200p but you should be aiming for 50 - 75p during the negotiation.

yes that's what I would have thought a 7km ride would be worth as a 'special' ride - about 70 pesos. Like we took a 'special' trike from the Villa Teresita to Talisay (that's 4km) for 50 pesos just the other day. The normal per person rate for that ride, longer than the normal 1-2km short hop, would be 14, i.e. two 'normal' rides, a 'normal' ride being 7 pesos per person, and would cost the two of us 28. To charter the trike and not have the driver pick up any passengers on the way, costs 50. Worth it, when you can head straight off. It's understandable on the part of the driver to want to wait at the hotel for a few minutes for another passenger or two to come on, rather than gamble on somebody wanting to come on during the ride. You're paying 22 pesos extra, which is about an hour's wage for a manual worker like a trike driver in the Philipines, to charter the vehicle yourself for the 10 minute ride.

as for the Moalboal/White Beach thing, all they've done is got together as drivers, and between them agreed to fix the price at an exhorbitant 150 pesos. That's anti-capitalist prixe fixing and downright thieving. Chief executives of American companies go to jail, quite rightly, for doing stuff luke that. It undermines the entire fabric, namely competition, of a capitalist society.

smokey

yes that's what I would have thought a 7km ride would be worth as a 'special' ride - about 70 pesos. Like we took a 'special' trike from the Villa Teresita to Talisay (that's 4km) for 50 pesos just the other day. The normal per person rate for that ride, longer than the normal 1-2km short hop, would be 14, i.e. two 'normal' rides, a 'normal' ride being 7 pesos per person, and would cost the two of us 28. To charter the trike and not have the driver pick up any passengers on the way, costs 50. Worth it, when you can head straight off. It's understandable on the part of the driver to want to wait at the hotel for a few minutes for another passenger or two to come on, rather than gamble on somebody wanting to come on during the ride. You're paying 22 pesos extra, which is about an hour's wage for a manual worker like a trike driver in the Philipines, to charter the vehicle yourself for the 10 minute ride.

as for the Moalboal/White Beach thing, all they've done is got together as drivers, and between them agreed to fix the price at an exhorbitant 150 pesos. That's anti-capitalist prixe fixing and downright thieving. Chief executives of American companies go to jail, quite rightly, for doing stuff luke that. It undermines the entire fabric, namely competition, of a capitalist society.

you know what they say... if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen...

i have just stayed in moalboal for 4 weeks and yes they will try to charge you 150+ if you ask them how much.

my wife always pays a min of 100pesos for the trike driver or bike driver just for the 7km trip but i will normally pay 20pesos per person as i can live with that, and i know its a bit more but i dont mind to much as its better than 100+ for 2 people.

And if you are with a local pinoy then you will not have to pay the entrance fee for saavedra (5pesos) and for white beach (10pesos at victors place).

i never once paid the entrance fee as my wife is orignally from there so they seem to treat me like a local now. local prices are so much cheaper.

udonthani

got a totally ludicrous kano 'tax' a couple of days ago, on a buy-one-take-one cheese burger in Argao. I got charged me 31 instead of the 30 displayed on the sign. I just laughed. That was the guy in the stand. The next day, same stand, same order, his wife charged us only 30.

we tried to figure out if he charged us for the plastic bag, or what, but I think it was probably a tax. It's not the money - one peso is nothing to a Filipino, especially not one with a business. It's the principle, and even it's one peso, it should be observed. Quite a lot of them really think the foreigners should pay more every time, for everything.

got a totally ludicrous kano 'tax' a couple of days ago, on a buy-one-take-one cheese burger in Argao. I got charged me 31 instead of the 30 displayed on the sign. I just laughed. That was the guy in the stand. The next day, same stand, same order, his wife charged us only 30.

we tried to figure out if he charged us for the plastic bag, or what, but I think it was probably a tax. It's not the money - one peso is nothing to a Filipino, especially not one with a business. It's the principle, and even it's one peso, it should be observed. Quite a lot of them really think the foreigners should pay more every time, for everything.

If you asked what the extra one peso for, you wouldn't be considering it a "ludicrous kano tax." If the guy selling burgers wanted to rip you off, he would charge more than just one peso.

It never harms to ask, whatever you're buying and wherever you're buying them, always ask.

udonthani

If the guy selling burgers wanted to rip you off, he would charge more than just one peso.

if he'd have tried to charge me more than 1 peso, I'd just have told him to stuff the burgers he'd just cooked up his ass.

smokey

If the guy selling burgers wanted to rip you off, he would charge more than just one peso.

if he'd have tried to charge me more than 1 peso, I'd just have told him to stuff the burgers he'd just cooked up his ass.

that is why your so well loved the world over...

And you wonder why Filipinos try to f#*k you over when dealing with them in business.

Try looking in the mirror and you will see exactly why. If you came to my country as a foreigner, and with the attitude that you have, I would make it a point to do what I could to make you want to leave too.