Sign in to follow this  
Rogersea

Apo Island Resort

Rogersea

I made a quick trip to Apo Island from Moalboal last week here is a quick report of the trip, I have a very short video (1minute :46seconds) on vimeo if you're interested in looking at it.. http://www.vimeo.com/7493663 on Vimeo it just takes some time to download...at least with my slow connection..

<object width="500" height="375"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=7493663&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=00adef&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=7493663&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=00adef&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="500" height="375"></embed></object>

I left Moalboal early Tuesday morning and after a short wait at the Moalboal Ceres bus stop I boarded an economy bus for Bato, the ticket was 70P. After a hour and half bus ride I arrived at the Maayo Shipping terminal and transferred to an Air conditioned Bus which would eventually take me all the way to Malatapay this ticket was a grand total of 60P, the break down was 30 to Dumaguete and 30 to Malatapay. I also had to pay 70P for the 7Km crossing between Cebu and Negros the ferry ride took about 45 minutes.

Once I arrived in Malatapay and got off the bus it was a 400 Meter walk to the Malatapay pier. The standard round trip fare between Malatapay and Apo Island is 1700P per boat load. I have no gripe with paying the 1700P but I had to wait for an hour and a half or 90 minutes for a ride to APO and that was an incredibly long time when I could see Apo off in the distance especially knowing the reefs were waiting for me. IF there would have been a boat readily available when I showed up I could have gotten to Apo by 1:15 and done an afternoon dive but as it turned out I arrived on Apo at 2:30 and after checking in at the Apo Resort it was already 3:00PM and too late for the afternoon dive. So I drowned my sorrows in a couple of Pilsens and all was forgotten.

The Resort I stayed at was the Apo Island Resort. It is a nice place, the only issue being they only have power from 6:00PM till midnight. This is actually 2 hours longer than the rest of the island. I stayed in one of the 4 Golden Cowrie rooms which was right on the beach and had a great view and breeze which is very important especially in view of the fact that there is no A/C or electric fan after the power goes off!!! The rooms are reasonably priced, published rates are 1800P to 2500P depending on the location that price is for 2 people, and extra beds are 500P Ea. If you want more info you can check them out at Apo Island Beach Resort - http://www.apoislandresort.com/

Each time I have stayed in Apo I have dived with people from all over the world, this time there was a couple from Montana USA but I was sharing the boat with three local Divers from Dumaguete, all young ladies who were taking their Advanced Course from the resident Instructor Rene Juntereal. It was obvious to me that they were enjoying the course

Edited by Admin
Added embedded video. - Paul

Paul

Fantastic write up Roger. It was great meeting you as well.

bikerdave

If you are staying at one of the resorts I wouls assuma as in the past you san catch a ride back and forth with them for a hundred pesos or so

bikerdave

If you are staying at one of the resorts I would assume as in the past you san catch a ride back and forth with them for a hundred pesos or so

Art

Thanks for the trip report I am thinking of going to Moalboal and then down to Dumaguete next year. I can't find Malatapay on my map is it near Zamboanguita?

samatm

Thanks for Sharing .. great report and Video. What kind of video rig do you have...seems it takes really nice vid. Is it self contained or do you have video housing. Also what depth were you guys at when the divers were shown in the Video. 25 bucks a dive with new equipment seems very reasonable is that about the norm here in the PI?

thanks again...