hi your plan looks interesting, we built a house in Cebu approx 2 years ago, one thing we learnt was, if u using a filipino builder, dont assume that because you explain in detail what u want they understand you. we asked for built in wardrobes in every bedroom, the builder installed pre fab timber wardrobes about 6ft high instead of normal built in wardrobes ,we had to had to had them removed and replaced ,they were never finished to the standard we require but ,overseas standard and filipino standard are very different. we also wanted a pantry of the kitchen so we would not have numerous cupboards as all filipino kitchens appear to have, but one large pantry with shelves , unfortunately we ended up with the pantry full off many little cupboards , I only tell you this perhaps to warn you make any instructions you give as clear as u possibley can if using a filipino builder. Good Luck. we are currently looking at building another place in Cebu or buying an existing property but once again have to find a top builder, the one we used was ok but as we are not onsite while the building is being constructed, the finished house was not as good as our internet pictures showed after 12 months we have had to repaint most of the house and the tiles inside are certainly not grade A tiles. This house was built for the family of my partner , they unfortunately are too polite to make any complaints to the builder about his workmanship., so much of the finished work is substandard.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abw

• SkyMan

• Turbota

• Jess Bartone

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Previously I talked about our (wife and two kids) plans of moving back to the Philippines. We lived there seven years ago (for 3 years). This time around have been planning on buying some land in Sila

make sure its where you want to live forever as selling a house here is almost impossible

Posted Images

smokey

hi your plan looks interesting, we built a house in Cebu approx 2 years ago, one thing we learnt was, if u using a filipino builder, dont assume that because you explain in detail what u want they understand you. we asked for built in wardrobes in every bedroom, the builder installed pre fab timber wardrobes about 6ft high instead of normal built in wardrobes ,we had to had to had them removed and replaced ,they were never finished to the standard we require but ,overseas standard and filipino standard are very different. we also wanted a pantry of the kitchen so we would not have numerous cupboards as all filipino kitchens appear to have, but one large pantry with shelves , unfortunately we ended up with the pantry full off many little cupboards , I only tell you this perhaps to warn you make any instructions you give as clear as u possibley can if using a filipino builder. Good Luck. we are currently looking at building another place in Cebu or buying an existing property but once again have to find a top builder, the one we used was ok but as we are not onsite while the building is being constructed, the finished house was not as good as our internet pictures showed after 12 months we have had to repaint most of the house and the tiles inside are certainly not grade A tiles. This house was built for the family of my partner , they unfortunately are too polite to make any complaints to the builder about his workmanship., so much of the finished work is substandard.

i had lots of plumbing problems on my house most of the drains were 90 degree and some had no drain and two were full of tile grout washed down .. also some electrial proplems and have re did both of these items at great cost of course...i am lucky in my house is very solid and maybe over built in that respect as the builder was used to building tall condo units in manila and mine was his first house..of course the price they give you in reality is for a box with a roof minus the interior... and of course there is no builders bond... i was shocked to find out to the builders here a house is done when it is to our standards still 40% out...

I'll do a bit of an update soon. The first floor is done and we will be using that as our "holiday home" while we are here each year. Just need to fix up the inside. I mentioned before in a previous thread we have changed our plans and intend to stay in Australia until the kids are grown up and we have a decent retirement income. At that time we'll split our time between Sydney and here.

Smokey, I got the guys to install most of the plumbing outside the building to get easy access when it leaks.

Andrew

Boss Ross

I just used a pencil and paper. I'd also recommend looking at house plan books for ideas. I spent a while walking round with a tape measure in my pocket and measuring rooms/features I liked. Once I had rough sketches it was easy enough to have them drawn up.

The major expense is to find an engineer, a master plumber and an electrician to sign off on them. You need copies of their licenses. Then you need zoning, DENR. and barrangay clearances to get a building permit.

abw,

I designed our house using a program called Plan 3D. With it you get a blue print type layout AND a 3D look at what you design. You can even walk through it from room to room, put furniture in to see how it fits , etc. I am not sure what Auto CAD is, it may be the same type thing. I just know plan 3D worked well for me.

The Bob has a good idea, the tape measure and tablet is a must! It is a great way to get the right sizes for you and your family.

My wife had a former co-worker that is a construction forman who worked for an engineer. We hired the engineer and I sent my plan to him. The engineer was responsible for everything else. He hired the crew, ordered all the materials, and took care of all the permits etc. If you want more insight into the process we went through, pm me.

Ross

Sorry, I did not see that there were several pages already. For some reason your first page came up in my new messages, so I replied. I see now you are well past the planning stages.

Edited by Boss Ross
American Ace

I love these threads about house building they are really informative for those of us planning to build at some stage a home in the Philippines. Good luck Andrew I hope you really enjoy your new home.

• 4 months later...
Bluebrickman

Hi Andrew

Very informative forum. One question that bought me here was that I was searching for a perlite supplier in Cebu.(Insulation for a pizza oven).

I see a couple of years ago another member knew of a supplier and was going to let you know. Did he? or have you found one yourself?

I'm heading over there in August for a couple of months and hoping to have a supplier to go to. Any advise would be appreciated.

Regards

Mark