Jess Bartone

I don't think it's arse-about, having the fence up first will discourage materials pilfering when the house is under way.

You gotta love the bamboo scaffolding (across the street), and the smoko shed is a ripper.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abw

• SkyMan

• Turbota

• Jess Bartone

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Previously I talked about our (wife and two kids) plans of moving back to the Philippines. We lived there seven years ago (for 3 years). This time around have been planning on buying some land in Sila

make sure its where you want to live forever as selling a house here is almost impossible

Posted Images

Here are my tips. I have designed and had built a house myself already

1. bathroom and toilet upstairs is fine; I would put at least a second toilet downstairs though. I hate ensuite bathrooms - nothing unsexier than hearing the gory details of ur loved one taking a dump, especially before the hurly burly of the chaise longue, tho that might just be my finer sensibilities talking. I like separate toilets and bathrooms

2. if you put your cold water tank as high as possible in the roof space, gravity water pressure will be ok for your shower

3. i agree about making the upstairs terrace smaller - you will rarely use it unless it gives you a much better view

4. i would move the cupboards upstairs in the two small bedrooms. use them to provide extra soundproofing between bathrooms and master bedroom and each other

5. put in a larger gap between master and adjacent small bedroom - it means you wont have to worry so much about making a noise

I don't think it's arse-about, having the fence up first will discourage materials pilfering when the house is under way.

You gotta love the bamboo scaffolding (across the street), and the smoko shed is a ripper.

The bamboo fence surrounds a lot owned by Filipino couple living in Canada. They'll be building a home and retiring there in 30 years! My wife's Grandmother (who's 85 or something) used to plant veggies there. But after all the work she put in, the owners decided they didn't want her growing anything there (it'll just overgrow with grass instead)...mean bastards.

If we get too sick of living here, it may become our house :shit_stirrer:

Andrew

Here are my tips. I have designed and had built a house myself already

1. bathroom and toilet upstairs is fine; I would put at least a second toilet downstairs though. I hate ensuite bathrooms - nothing unsexier than hearing the gory details of ur loved one taking a dump, especially before the hurly burly of the chaise longue, tho that might just be my finer sensibilities talking. I like separate toilets and bathrooms

2. if you put your cold water tank as high as possible in the roof space, gravity water pressure will be ok for your shower

3. i agree about making the upstairs terrace smaller - you will rarely use it unless it gives you a much better view

4. i would move the cupboards upstairs in the two small bedrooms. use them to provide extra soundproofing between bathrooms and master bedroom and each other

5. put in a larger gap between master and adjacent small bedroom - it means you wont have to worry so much about making a noise

Thanks for the input, sperry. Yeah, we really didn't want to go with an en-suit (although I know there are others who can't live without them). There is another small bathroom (has a toilet and shower) downstairs next to the laundry.

I've been thinking about the water tank. I could have a tank at ground level and the mains supply would feed into that (the idea here is to have a constant & decent volume of water). It would have upper and lower level switches with a controller. This would then hook up to a small pressure tank, with a pump attached. The thing is with those high tanks gravity feeding the water to the house, is that you have to put them up very high. For example, to achieve a little over 40 psi (3 bar), the tank would have to be around 30 meters above the top floor bathroom shower head! Of course get the water all the way up there would require a pump anyway. So I think I'd want the whole lot on the ground.

I like the idea about using the cupboards in the small bedrooms as a kind of sound barrier. I'm not too worried about noise coming from our bedroom, though. Having kids, we've learn't to be very quiet :shit_stirrer:

Andrew

fred42

Looks really good.. The only thing I would do differently is put more shade on the walls with a longer roof overhang.Also be good to design in some really good roof ventilation up high..

I recently bought 10 sacks of perlite which is a excellent for insulation ..Just pour 4" deep above your upstairs ceilings..You can even make hollow blocks with it..There is a company somewhere in Manila that does..

You really do need a plan to keep the heat out as much as you possibly can at this stage..Just my 10 Pence.

Fred.

Looks really good.. The only thing I would do differently is put more shade on the walls with a longer roof overhang.Also be good to design in some really good roof ventilation up high..

I recently bought 10 sacks of perlite which is a excellent for insulation ..Just pour 4" deep above your upstairs ceilings..You can even make hollow blocks with it..There is a company somewhere in Manila that does..

You really do need a plan to keep the heat out as much as you possibly can at this stage..Just my 10 Pence.

Fred.

Yeah, I've heard about Perlite. I guess it would work out a lot more cost effective than glass fibre insulation. How much is it per sack, Fred.

Andrew

fred42

Andrew..I cant remember!! To give you a rough idea I think we paid ,800 Pesos per sack (50k rice sack size)Which in hindsight was far too much.. I remember finding a wholesaler somewhere on the net and wishing Id bought from them..

I`ll see if I can dig up the info and post it here in due course..

Andrew..I cant remember!! To give you a rough idea I think we paid ,800 Pesos per sack (50k rice sack size)Which in hindsight was far too much.. I remember finding a wholesaler somewhere on the net and wishing Id bought from them..

I`ll see if I can dig up the info and post it here in due course..

Much appreciated, Fred. I was wondering what to do about insulation...was going to put some of that foil stuff under the roof sheeting, so that'll partially deal with the radiant heat. I'll get the roofing guys to advise me on roof venting options, too. But I do like the idea of this Perlite stuff. It may be a bit difficult, logistically, to have it put in the CHB mix, but I could use it in the ceiling, and I was thinking I could use it in the "wrapping" or finishing mix.

Anyway, we probably won't be starting for another 6 months to a year (depending on our budget), so we have plenty of time to plan these things.

Andrew

• 2 months later...

Best of luck on your new home!

You might want to carefully consider the pros and cons of living right next to the relatives. Many American have discovered a better choice is close enough for you to visit often, but not to close due to potential privacy and cost issues.

SkyMan

Problem solved! Excellent modification Andrew, it just looks right now, aesthetically as well as hygenically.

Jess.

Actually, I liked it better the first way. Do you really want to send your guests through the kitchen then through the laundry room, which is normally a cluttered area and often unfinished, to get to the CR?

I also have to say again that 2 CRs isn't enough for a 3 br two story house. Maybe that's enough here but I wouldn't buy that house. Just being honest. :thats-funny:

• 1 month later...

I drew up some 3d models of our proposed house. I've been making a few changes here and there. The area has grown to about 200sqm.

post-4617-128347395226_thumb.jpgpost-4617-128347397495_thumb.jpg post-4617-128347432537_thumb.jpgpost-4617-128347433787_thumb.jpg

Edited by abw

If you don't mind, but I did a little modification to your 2nd floor.

I think the 2 guest bedrooms (2 and 3) are too small. As you can see, you only have room for single size beds in those bedrooms. Also, what you have is a very small corner closet in those rooms too.

Well, just by extending that front outside wall by about 1 meter, you can get queen sized beds in both those bedrooms and larger closets too (the closets are marked in yellow color on the new drawing).

This also adds just a little more space in that upper balcony.

I really didn't look at the 1st floor and how extending that wall will effect the 1st floor, but here are the before and after pictures of the 2nd floor ... What do you think?

I did not extend the wall very much, but it made a big difference I think.

BEFORE

2ndFloor.jpg

AFTER

2ndFloorMod.jpg

Edited by Turbota

Well, extending that front wall out about 1 meter will get you more floorspace in the dining room and also make your living room a little bigger too, which might be nice.

BTW ... I didn't change that left side wall length that shows 8 meters on your original drawing to about 9 meters after the extension of the front wall, but you get the idea.

Again, here is the before and after:

BEFORE

1stFloor.jpg

AFTER

1stFloorMod.jpg

Edited by Turbota
SkyMan

I drew up some 3d models of our proposed house. I've been making a few changes here and there. The area has grown to about 200sqm.

post-4617-128347395226_thumb.jpgpost-4617-128347397495_thumb.jpg post-4617-128347432537_thumb.jpgpost-4617-128347433787_thumb.jpg

Those are really nice. What software is that. I really think it was a good choice to combine the upstairs CRs. I alwso wonder if it might be a good idea to shuffle the maids room and the ds cr. If the CR could fit under the stairs there without being too cramped the door would be to the cr would be more centrally located to anywhere in the ds area while the maids room would be more accessible to teh laundry room and kitchen.

I also like Turbota's idea of moving the front wall out a meter to make bigger bedrooms etc. but then your house is getting bigger and bigger. :) Perhaps do that with the upstairs but not down giving your house an overhang. You'd get the larger bedrooms without giving up any yard.

What did you use to make those drawings? :yourock: Does it take input directly from an AutoCAD dwg file?