Previously I talked about our (wife and two kids) plans of moving back to the Philippines. We lived there seven years ago (for 3 years). This time around have been planning on buying some land in Silay City (15 minutes from Bacolod), building a house for us and a small house for the mother in law and a few other family members. Our original plan was to visit there next March and look for a lot maybe 500 or so square meters. Well, as it turned out, a 404 sq meter lot turned up for sale rite next door to where the relatives now live. It's close to everything, so we grabbed it B) So here's a couple of picks:

post-4617-125759272329_thumb.jpg

post-4617-125759273993_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abw

• SkyMan

• Turbota

• Jess Bartone

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Previously I talked about our (wife and two kids) plans of moving back to the Philippines. We lived there seven years ago (for 3 years). This time around have been planning on buying some land in Sila

make sure its where you want to live forever as selling a house here is almost impossible

Posted Images

Wow and congratulations! Good luck with your future home biggrin_01.gif

Thanks Cary. We plan on building a 2 story house, with a big balcony so we can sit out there and have uninterrupted views of the mountains B) Next year we'll start construction, once we've found an architect.

Andrew

You could create your own plan with your computer and give that to the architect. I found that using a scale of 1 pixel equals 1 centimeter with a paint program works well.

You could create your own plan with your computer and give that to the architect. I found that using a scale of 1 pixel equals 1 centimeter with a paint program works well.

Not a bad idea. I have Autocad here, so I was thinking to do just that. Or get the architect to come up with something and get him to send me the CAD file, which I can then make improvements/changes.

thebob

I just used a pencil and paper. I'd also recommend looking at house plan books for ideas. I spent a while walking round with a tape measure in my pocket and measuring rooms/features I liked. Once I had rough sketches it was easy enough to have them drawn up.

The major expense is to find an engineer, a master plumber and an electrician to sign off on them. You need copies of their licenses. Then you need zoning, DENR. and barrangay clearances to get a building permit.

smokey

Thanks Cary. We plan on building a 2 story house, with a big balcony so we can sit out there and have uninterrupted views of the mountains :biggrin_01: Next year we'll start construction, once we've found an architect.

Andrew

make sure its where you want to live forever as selling a house here is almost impossible

I know, we've sold a house before. But luckily it was to another sucker..I mean foreigner :biggrin_01:

We won't be investing huge sums of money into the property. And yes, I know the area well. We lived in the Talisay (Negros) before, which is rite next door. Silay is my wife's home town. Very convenient, as it's close to Bacolod (15 minutes) which has decent private schools, malls, cinemas, restaurants etc.

Andrew

Andrew, how many bedrooms you gonna have? Don't forget to add one for me, mate, pal, friend.

With a wet bar would be nice, please. :biggrin_01:

Andrew, how many bedrooms you gonna have? Don't forget to add one for me, mate, pal, friend.

With a wet bar would be nice, please. :D

Four, but the Hello Kitty room will be for one of the kids (I have been inspired by another poster's Bacolod mansion):D

Andrew

:D

I wish you the best in your venture. Hopefully, with much of the information that has been posted by John, Ron, and others here, you will have a good lead and will not be screwed over by any unscrupulous people who may be involved in your purchase and build.

:D

I wish you the best in your venture. Hopefully, with much of the information that has been posted by John, Ron, and others here, you will have a good lead and will not be screwed over by any unscrupulous people who may be involved in your purchase and build.

Oh, but I fully expect to be screwed over by someone at some point. The thing is, in Silay, everyone knows everyone, so as long as we employ locals, they won't be able to get away with too much :D

And we know where the previous owner lives :D

Yeah, this forum has a wealth of information and I very much appreciate the knowledge the guys have passed on. I'll do my best to also pass on my experiences during the building. Essentially, we'll be building in stages, timed around our budget and visits each year. We're looking at about 2 years to finish...no rush.

While you are there, lay out the house areas and get some trees planted as soon as possible. Looks like you need them! congrats!

While you are there, lay out the house areas and get some trees planted as soon as possible. Looks like you need them! congrats!

That's an excellent idea! The relatives will start clearing soon...there's going to be a lot of crap underneath all that grass (hollow blocks, backfill etc).

Previously I talked about our (wife and two kids) plans of moving back to the Philippines. We lived there seven years ago (for 3 years). This time around have been planning on buying some land in Silay City (15 minutes from Bacolod), building a house for us and a small house for the mother in law and a few other family members. Our original plan was to visit there next March and look for a lot maybe 500 or so square meters. Well, as it turned out, a 404 sq meter lot turned up for sale rite next door to where the relatives now live. It's close to everything, so we grabbed it :biggrin_01: So here's a couple of picks:

Good luck in building your new home, we just got our home built in Cebu.

post-58-125772258478_thumb.jpgpost-58-125772257464_thumb.jpgpost-58-125772256552_thumb.jpg