Sign in to follow this  
rubio

Manila Customs

rubio

How much of a problem is clearing customs at Manila?

Also is there any particular items apart from the obvious Drugs or Weapons that are liable to cause delays?

Cebuned

How much of a problem is clearing customs at Manila?

Also is there any particular items apart from the obvious Drugs or Weapons that are liable to cause delays?

Personaly I've never had a problem with customs at Manila or Mactan. As for items to raise eyebrows, I can't think of anything out of the norm, that is if your not trying to hide something. I've always been welcomed with a smile and welcome.

softail

I've never had a problem with customs either, always wave us right thru with a smile.

Doug and Sally

Cary

The only problem I had was when the inspector thought I was bringing booze, but I opened the package and showed him that it was a model ship in a bottle. At that point he started to apologize to me and I had told him there was nothing to be sorry for he was just doing his job. Just make sure that if you have anything that they may question let them know and you should be fine.

Cipro

Is it illegal to bring in booze?

Cary

No its not but i guess the odd shape of the bottle was what caught his attention and so I guess it was a knee jerk reacton of his to say booze. Either that or the man just wanted a drink @ 6am, because thats when my PAL flight arrivedtongue_01.gif

Cipro

No its not but i guess the odd shape of the bottle was what caught his attention and so I guess it was a knee jerk reacton of his to say booze. Either that or the man just wanted a drink @ 6am, because thats when my PAL flight arrivedtongue_01.gif

Ah OK - what is the rule? I ask because I was going to try and bring in a few nice whiskeys for my GF to sample but I don't want to violate any laws.

Athena

The only problem I had was when the inspector thought I was bringing booze, but I opened the package and showed him that it was a model ship in a bottle. At that point he started to apologize to me and I had told him there was nothing to be sorry for he was just doing his job. Just make sure that if you have anything that they may question let them know and you should be fine.

you could be right......... but there are few custom cheats..... i would hazard a guess, they are also eyeing your bottle .......

Ah OK - what is the rule? I ask because I was going to try and bring in a few nice whiskeys for my GF to sample but I don't want to violate any laws.

2x bottles - max 1 ltr each ........... but you could always hide a couple of bottles in you checked in luggage..... just be prepared if found out - they will either fined you/confiscate the extra bottles - or you can try bribing them.... mind you i wouldnt recommend it - not worth the hassle. you could always buy more in alcoholic drinks in PI.

Cipro
2x bottles - max 1 ltr each ........... but you could always hide a couple of bottles in you checked in luggage..... just be prepared if found out - they will either fined you/confiscate the extra bottles - or you can try bribing them.... mind you i wouldnt recommend it - not worth the hassle. you could always buy more in alcoholic drinks in PI.

That's plenty, I just wanted to bring some things that are probably hard to find in PI. For instance, a nice Bourbon, and maybe something else, like a really good Tequila.

Cary

Locktite,

I don't know of any rule. And the TSA has on their site the following about liquids: Passengers may bring into the secure area of the airport liquid and gel products, so long as the items are carried in a clear plastic food storage type bag with a capacity of no more than one quart. And most if not all airlines follow the same rules. As I said the inspector told me that its ok but I have never brought any booze into Manila, but I have seen other passengers who have. And since you said that you are bringing in a few nice whiskeys for your gf, it seems that as long as each are no more than a quart each and they are in the clear bag, you and your gf should be fine thumbsup.gif

Athena

I don't know of any rule. And the TSA has on their site the following about liquids: Passengers may bring into the secure area of the airport liquid and gel products, so long as the items are carried in a clear plastic food storage type bag with a capacity of no more than one quart. And most if not all airlines follow the same rules. As I said the inspector told me that its ok but I have never brought any booze into Manila, but I have seen other passengers who have. And since you said that you are bringing in a few nice whiskeys for your gf, it seems that as long as each are no more than a quart each and they are in the clear bag, you and your gf should be fine thumbsup.gif

thanks cary ....... forgot about the new airport regulations.........

but you can get around this new regulations by getting your drink after checking in...... or buy the drink at the plane..... but PI custom allowance is only 2x bottles (1 ltr ea max) per person (over 18). although, you might find it more expensive. if you can get them cheaper elsewhere - better to put them in your checked luggage - just make sure they are well packed/wrapped. As you know very well, airport bag handlers doesnt exactly treat your luggages with respect .........

newtocebu

Each traveller is permitted to bring up to 2 litres of alcohol when entering the Philippines. However, it must be checked in if you plan on boarding another flight within the Philippines.

Just over one week ago ( 30th October ) I flew on PAL from Melbourne to Manila with 2 x 1 litre bottles of Johnny Walker ( black label no less !! ) purchased duty free in Melbourne, which travelled with me as hand carry to Manila. No problems boarding the plane, no problems exiting customs in Manila.

However, when going through security at terminal three after checking baggage for my domestic flight to Cebu, one of the ever diligent security personnel noticed the two bottles, and with raised eyebrows, immediately called me aside. He then explained to me that these items should have been checked in, and will now be confiscated. ( Despite being originally sealed in its original packaging, it still must be checked in. I think up to 100ml of any liquid can be checked as hand carry, providing it is plastic sealed )

After checking through all my other belongings ( including my wallet with a few hundred aussie dollars ), he picked up the bag containing the alcohol, then confidently began striding away instructing me to follow him for a quick talk. It was obvious to me what was to happen next

Cary

You kept your scotchthumbsup.gif

Each traveller is permitted to bring up to 2 litres of alcohol when entering the Philippines. However, it must be checked in if you plan on boarding another flight within the Philippines.

Just over one week ago ( 30th October ) I flew on PAL from Melbourne to Manila with 2 x 1 litre bottles of Johnny Walker ( black label no less !! ) purchased duty free in Melbourne, which travelled with me as hand carry to Manila. No problems boarding the plane, no problems exiting customs in Manila.

However, when going through security at terminal three after checking baggage for my domestic flight to Cebu, one of the ever diligent security personnel noticed the two bottles, and with raised eyebrows, immediately called me aside. He then explained to me that these items should have been checked in, and will now be confiscated. ( Despite being originally sealed in its original packaging, it still must be checked in. I think up to 100ml of any liquid can be checked as hand carry, providing it is plastic sealed )

After checking through all my other belongings ( including my wallet with a few hundred aussie dollars ), he picked up the bag containing the alcohol, then confidently began striding away instructing me to follow him for a quick talk. It was obvious to me what was to happen next

newtocebu

Incidentally, I also passed through customs at terminal 2 and security / check in at terminal 3 with a set or ornamental samurai swords without incident or delay..