Norwegian Meatballs

Giotto

In Sweden there is a multitude of varieties, I think that goes for Norway too, right?

I like to have onion (finely grated) and fine dry breadcrumbs in, and a little garlic (not very Swedish, I know). If you make big flat ones, try adding some HP sauce (not traditional, but yummy!).

For sauce, ordinary gravy is OK. Up here in Scandinavia it is common with lingonberry jam for serving.

My grandparents on one side of the family were from Sweden, and the grandparents from the other side were from Norway.

When they made "Swedish" meatballs, they always used a combo of about 60% ground beef to 40% ground pork.

As for the spices, they always used both ground nutmeg and ground allspice in the meat mixture for that authentic scandinavian flavor.

That's what I remember

Hi Angie, sure u can use a tomato sauce, but the fresh one, take a note.

6 big red tomatoes, u cut in very very small pieces, should be in ratatouille style put also some small garlic, and oregan herb, with some fresh basel leaf, a couple spoon of extra vergin oil olive, then u start to mix altogheter into a alluminium or platic bowl.

Now u take a pan, put everything inside and start to cook at middle flame but not so high, for about 30 min, when you see that the sauce is tight, should be ready, if you want make spyce ,just put also some chilli, remember to put also a tea spoon of sugar at begin when you are cooking the sauce, this is for take out the acidity of the tomatoes.

or u can use also a white wine cream that is good too, just take a note:

take a small pot, put some butter and some leek cut a julienne style, then when u see that the color of the leek start to be a little gold, put some white wine and some whipped cream for cook, not the sweet one eheheheh,remember to cook in very very low flame,

Second step: take a small bowl, put a cold water just a littlebite and one spoon spoon of maizena flour, mix all, then this liquid put into the pot with this cream and start to twist, when u see that this cream start to be tight, that is ready.

or u can use a very simple white acid cream, take a note

400 gr of whipped cream

150 gr of white natural yougurt

1 big lemon

1 tea spoon of salt

1 tea spoon of pepper,

after u read all this ingredients, take a bowl and mix altogheter, then have to rest half day in refrigerator, this cream must be served cold, not warm.

If all of you need other things to know i m here to help, its a pleasure for me.

Giotto

Hi Giotto

Good to know that you are willing to share your recipes for sauces that would go with the Norwegian meatballs.

Wish to thank you too.

jazzy

Edited by Admin
deleted the white space in the quoted text.- Paul

Hi Giotto

Good to know that you are willing to share your recipes for sauces that would go with the Norwegian meatballs.

Wish to thank you too.

jazzy

Thanks Jazzy, but my knowledge is only on fusion food and classic italian mediterrean food, about skandinavian food i just know something.

in my background i can do more than 80 kind of sauces and creams, if you need something just let me know.

Giotto

I spoke to Lars the other day and he laughingly told me that his recipe is called Spanish meatballs. :biggrin_01::tongue_01::tongue_01:

Edited by Bob Ward

I think that everybody who like to cook, ca do his own meatballs, as they want, we cannot say if this recipe from Norway, or Denmark or England or whatever else. For Example i can do my meatballs, but not because i follow the recipes, just because come from my fantasy, and follow a good critery of the ingredients how i can amalgamate in a good way.

What i try to explain in poor words, is that everyone with littlebite of fantasy can make a different kinds of meatballs, without say this from that country or another country.

Giotto

• 5 months later...
mikewatchnu

[Hi Giotto, Just finished reading about your meatballs sounds great I will try them this week. Michael

quote name=Giotto' date='07 November 2009 - 10:30 PM' timestamp='1257604227' post='127056]

Hi Giotto

Wish to thank you too.

jazzy

Thanks Jazzy, but my knowledge is only on fusion food and classic italian mediterrean food, about skandinavian food i just know something.

in my background i can do more than 80 kind of sauces and creams, if you need something just let me know.

Giotto

This kind of dish of usualy they do in Xmas season, in my little experience in Norway i saw that some chef use a different method to do the meatballs, somebody use to put onion and aromatics herbs, somebody else even put also the cheddar cheese. Honestly i dont know what is the original recipe, but i learn from a 65 years old chef this recipe, he told me that this is the original, but i cant say if is true or not, anyway, i use it to do in this style. Many peoples dont like onion , so i do in simple way for the sake of all.

In Italy we have more than 50 kind of variety of meatballs, every region have they own style.

Giotto

You'r recipe in the first post are the original Norwegian meatballs.

The original sause to the meatballs are made like this;

3 eatingspoons of butter in the same pan where you fried the meatballs, for better taste, app 4 spoons of flower, stire this whilst it gets brown on high heat. Not dark brown, rather light brown. If you use too mutch heat it will get burned. When you have the right color take it out of the pan and into a kettle, stir as its cooking for the first minute even of the pan. When it has cooled down a littl you add app. 75cl of fresh water and boil it for at least 10 min.

Taste it with salt and pepper.

We normally add brown cheese, jam, cream and a little Austrian mixed venice herbs.

We eat it with boiled new potatoes and a stue. Cabbage or peas.

Mmmmmm

sperry

I had meatballs for dinner tonight. Commercial ones, a mixture of beef and soya.

Marinated them in soy sauce, ginger, chili, onion, sesame seed, chinese black beans and coriander.

Cooked them up, and then made a sauce by thickening the marinade with flour.

Had them with fried rice and steamed mange tout peas

Guacomole for first course and fresh pineapple with home made cocnut ice cream for dessert if you're interested.

yum yum yum!

I have a recipe for keftethes, Greek meatballs, around here someplace. They're basically lean ground beef, an egg, fine bread crumbs, finely minced onion, chopped parsley and a bit of peppermint. They can either be fried in olive oil or baked. The sauce, which is optional, is a basic tomato/red wine sauce. You can also use bechamel sauce if I recall correctly.

richard90027

Sounds Yummy!!!!

eggnoggin

jar of grape jelly mixed with jar of chili sauce or jar of apple jelly mixed with jar of mustard ....put in boiler and melt together on low ..add cooked rare meatballs and simmer for a couple hours... :oldtimer:pack in thermos or container for trips or picnics..better in cold climates..races ..skiing...but good everywhere..

Edited by eggnoggin