Norwegian Meatballs

Giotto

Yes that Norwegian meatballs were real good, is the recipe anywhere in the postings?

I worked almost two years in Kristiansand (south Norway) for a very important international restaurant as Executive Chef, i learn something about a skandinavian food, if you want follow this recipe, just take a note.

Take a alluminium or plastic bowl, put inside 1 kilo of minced meat, 6 eggs and 200 gr of white flour, salt and pepper just a spoon, then u have to mix all togheter with your hands, all this ingredients, so when u see that everythings is well amalgamated, start to make many small ball littlebite flat not really ball, just little flat.

Take a pan, and start to put some butter, not oil, for make a good norwegian meatball u have to fried into the butter, and then u start to put your meatball to fried, when the color is like a gold, could be ready, , anyway just 2 min each side is enough to cook every meatball.

ps: The italian meatballs are totally different from this recipes

Giotto

Yes, I used the exact same method you mentioned, but with some additional spices that were suggested by Lars. As mentioned previously these are more Italian style, but made the Norwegian way with egg and flour and the frying part before being baked in the sauce.

Traditional Norwegian meatballs incorporate allot of nutmeg, which I like. I will give that a try next time.

Edited by Bob Ward

I worked almost two years in Kristiansand (south Norway) for a very important international restaurant as Executive Chef, i learn something about a skandinavian food, if you want follow this recipe, just take a note.

Take a alluminium or plastic bowl, put inside 1 kilo of minced meat, 6 eggs and 200 gr of white flour, salt and pepper just a spoon, then u have to mix all togheter with your hands, all this ingredients, so when u see that everythings is well amalgamated, start to make many small ball littlebite flat not really ball, just little flat.

Take a pan, and start to put some butter, not oil, for make a good norwegian meatball u have to fried into the butter, and then u start to put your meatball to fried, when the color is like a gold, could be ready, , anyway just 2 min each side is enough to cook every meatball.

ps: The italian meatballs are totally different from this recipes

Giotto

I will try this, Giotto. Thank you.

I was fasting last night for the blood test today. I will pig out later, hehehehehe....

no finely chopped onion, garlic and herbs in the mix ?

Do the skandos use a tomato base sauce ?

This kind of dish of usualy they do in Xmas season, in my little experience in Norway i saw that some chef use a different method to do the meatballs, somebody use to put onion and aromatics herbs, somebody else even put also the cheddar cheese. Honestly i dont know what is the original recipe, but i learn from a 65 years old chef this recipe, he told me that this is the original, but i cant say if is true or not, anyway, i use it to do in this style. Many peoples dont like onion , so i do in simple way for the sake of all.

In Italy we have more than 50 kind of variety of meatballs, every region have they own style.

Giotto

Giotto, what is the recipe for the sauce? Can we just use spaghetti sauce?

Good question........ I too would like to know............ can you recommend a prepared source - not one that you have to start from scratch but those that you can buy in jars. my children love meatballs....... but they dont like the airpacked variety...... they would rather have the tinned meatballs that the airpacked ones..... thank you!

Giotto, what is the recipe for the sauce? Can we just use spaghetti sauce?

Hi Angie, sure u can use a tomato sauce, but the fresh one, take a note.

6 big red tomatoes, u cut in very very small pieces, should be in ratatouille style put also some small garlic, and oregan herb, with some fresh basel leaf, a couple spoon of extra vergin oil olive, then u start to mix altogheter into a alluminium or platic bowl.

Now u take a pan, put everything inside and start to cook at middle flame but not so high, for about 30 min, when you see that the sauce is tight, should be ready, if you want make spyce ,just put also some chilli, remember to put also a tea spoon of sugar at begin when you are cooking the sauce, this is for take out the acidity of the tomatoes.

or u can use also a white wine cream that is good too, just take a note:

take a small pot, put some butter and some leek cut a julienne style, then when u see that the color of the leek start to be a little gold, put some white wine and some whipped cream for cook, not the sweet one eheheheh,remember to cook in very very low flame,

Second step: take a small bowl, put a cold water just a littlebite and one spoon spoon of maizena flour, mix all, then this liquid put into the pot with this cream and start to twist, when u see that this cream start to be tight, that is ready.

or u can use a very simple white acid cream, take a note

400 gr of whipped cream

150 gr of white natural yougurt

1 big lemon

1 tea spoon of salt

1 tea spoon of pepper,

after u read all this ingredients, take a bowl and mix altogheter, then have to rest half day in refrigerator, this cream must be served cold, not warm.

If all of you need other things to know i m here to help, its a pleasure for me.

Giotto

Edited by Giotto

The most common is Brown Sauce for the Meat Balls.

thumbsup.gif

How to Make Kjottkaker (Norwegian Meatballs) with Brown Gravy

This is one of the most bad sauce that you can link, this sauce not have any taste, but i cant blame this recipe cause norwegian food not have a good culture about food,eheheh.

Giotto

This is one of the most bad sauce that you can link, this sauce not have any taste, but i cant blame this recipe cause norwegian food not have a good culture about food,eheheh.

Giotto

I blame the chef :sad_01:

I use broth/bouillon, onions and brunost ("brown cheese") in the sauce, sometimes I use a little brandy to. A Roux is actually a very nice sauce, but the cook must have some tricks. :angel:

Harry

Giotto, funny coincidence about the tomato sauce you mention, it almost exactly the same as the one Lars gave me, plus additions some have mentioned. I added fresh basil.

500 gram minced sirloin extra lean(280/kg at Rustan's). You may use other meat, just make sure there is some fat and not just pure beef. If you're able to get minced lamb, that's very good too.

One egg

some flour(about 1/2 cup

2-3 finely chopped garlic gloves(depending how much you like garlic)

7-8 dashes of Tabasco(more if you want really spice, less if not)

parsley(fresh is best, dry is fine), about 2 table spooons

Spanish pepper(paprika powder)

Salt

pepper

oregano

I never really measure the amount of spice, just add what you think is reasonable. About 1 tea spoon of everything should be fine.

Mix everything together. Make small meatballs, if they get sticky just rinse your hand once in a while in cold water.

Fry them in the pan, use oil. Not olive oil, use canola or other. Just move the pan around, so they roll here and there until they are about half done. You shall not fry them through, the oven will take care of the rest later.

Don't fry all at once - then they will be more steamed than fried. About 15 meatballs at a time should do. When finished, place the meatballs in a form like I had yesterday. Don't let the oil go with them into the form.

Tomato sauce:

1 can of diced tomatoes

1/2 onion

2 finely chopped garlic gloves

salt

pepper

oregano

paprika powder

Extra Virgin olive oil(about 1/4 cup)

1/2 cup water

Some ketchup(the amount you would use on 4 hot dogs)

Let it cook until boiling, then turn the heater on the lowest level. You should now let this steam for at least 30 minutes, but if you are patient, it can also be an hour, don't worry. So - start with the tomato sauce, then for the meat balls. By the time the meat balls are done and in the form, the sauce should be fine.

Pour the tomato sauce over the meat balls. Add some shredded cheese on top. I use the mozarella at Rustans. About 150 grams should be enough(280 peso for 250 gram at Rustan's)

Place it in the oven(make sure it's hot), and leave it for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese is golden(like a pizza).

Some good bread if you like, and if you really want some fine dining, buy a bottle of Rioja for this one. You can also buy a cheaper Tempranillo wine for this, should be fine too.

Edited by Bob Ward

Roux is actually a very nice sauce, but the cook must have some tricks. :sad_01:

Harry

The making of Roux is not that tough, if you know those tricks1 LOL

Good pan with heavy bottom

Quality oil, butter or fat

Correct flame/heat

Cooking the flour long enough, but don't burn it.

Adding the liquid very slowly, especially at the start

Stirring constantly

Anything else?

Edited by Bob Ward
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

sometimes I use a little brandy to.

Harry

for the sauce or for the cook?