Pork And Eggplant

rainymike

rainymike

I like to shop for local produce and try to make some decent meals with what's available. This one turned out pretty yummy.

1 lb pork, sliced in 1 inch strips (I like it with some fat on each strip)

4 long eggplants, sliced down the middle and cut into 1 inch pieces

sauce: 1/4 cup soy sauce (adjust for saltiness), vinegar and sugar for taste

about 1 tablespoon each: garlic, ginger, thai/chinese red chili sauce (chop garlic and ginger fine)

flour or cornstarch to thicken

brown eggplants in margarine until tender

brown pork separately with garlic, ginger, chili sauce

after pork is browned, add eggplants and soy sauce mix

add flour/cornstarch to thicken (I only had pancake mix on hand, and it worked fine)

serve with rice

pretty low cost meal for a change of pace from jollibees with thai/northern chinese style cuisine added into readily available and cheap produce

I like to shop for local produce and try to make some decent meals with what's available. This one turned out pretty yummy.

about 1 tablespoon each: garlic, ginger, thai/chinese red chili sauce (chop garlic and ginger fine)

add flour/cornstarch to thicken (I only had pancake mix on hand, and it worked fine)

serve with rice

pretty low cost meal for a change of pace from jollibees with thai/northern chinese style cuisine added into readily available and cheap produce

Sounds yummy to me!!!!! I hope it will taste as good when I try it tomorrow. I love eggplant because it is a very versatile vegetable or fruit? I'm not sure now....lol

serve with rice

Try eggplant with egg, scrambled egg, it's less costly but still delicious.

rainymike

argh forgot to say, add 1/4 cup water

hmmm not sure what eggplant is fruit or what.

But I also just like it sliced and fried in margarine/butter and serve with soysauce or sauce of your choice.

A friend also described another eggplant dish. I think the eggplant was boiled first, then mashed and fried. I don't remember the details ... but might be worth a try, maybe with a batter also?

Edited by rainymike

argh forgot to say, add 1/4 cup water

hmmm not sure what eggplant is fruit or what.

But I also just like it sliced and fried in margarine/butter and serve with soysauce or sauce of your choice.

A friend also described another eggplant dish. I think the eggplant was boiled first, then mashed and fried. I don't remember the details ... but might be worth a try, maybe with a batter also?

Not boiled, Mike, grilled. Then dip it into an egg sauce mix made with corn starch, egg, minced garlic and onions, ground pepper and salt. Then fry it.

That's what we call "Torta nga Talong or Torta'ng Talong"", yummy!!!

Edited by Angie

Eggplant is a fruit in the nightshade family like tomatoes. Like the tomato it is commonly used as a vegetable, even though it's a fruit. :rolleyes:

I love egg plant...will have to try both versions of this dinner.

Gigutom ko kaayo na. (para akong Maestra)

rainymike

Not boiled, Mike, grilled. Then dip it into an egg sauce mix made with corn starch, egg, minced garlic and onions, ground pepper and salt. Then fry it.

That's what we call "Torta nga Talong or Torta'ng Talong"", yummy!!!

Ahhh, thanks. That sounds like something really worth trying!

Eggplant is a fruit in the nightshade family like tomatoes. Like the tomato it is commonly used as a vegetable, even though it's a fruit. :rolleyes:

I love egg plant...will have to try both versions of this dinner.

Gigutom ko kaayo na. (para akong Maestra)

Gigutom na kaayo ka?

Kaluoy sa ako'ng estudyante, gigutom na.

Missy, pagluto na. Gigutom na ang imo'ng bana. Hahahahaha....

(Gikan sa imo'ng maestra.)

serve with rice

My wife makes something very similar to this. It is one of the few eggplant dishes that I really like. The only big difference is that she also adds butternut squash. The squash takes longer than the eggplant to cook, so start cooking the squash first if you try it.