HIV/AIDS - The Philippines Paradox

The micro-fissure risk seems to be true. That's why we are now hearing that circumcision puts the man more at risk.

I think it is the other way round. "People" now advise circumcision as a valid preventive measure.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Willie

• Mik

• udonthani

• poby

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

fropm the Asia Times article   Another factor in the underreporting of HIV/AIDS cases comes from the many doctors in the provinces who, through sheer ignorance, may treat a particular disease withou

Though I disagree with him, Slick Wiilie's reply to my post is respectful, logical and thoughtful. Your comment is not.   .

Well since you guys love conspiracy theories so much, do you not find it interesting that HIV just so happens to use the same exact gene to enter target cells that was mutated during the Bubonic Plague. I mean think about it. The Anglo Saxon were the hardest hit by the plague and the survivors developed a genetic mutation known as Delta 32. In the U.S., 1% of the population has this mutation which makes them entirely immune to HIV and aids. In England and Germany, the percentage is much higher; somewhere between 5 and 14%. The mutation is very... very... very rare in Asian and African populations.

This leads to an increased spread of the disease in these regions. Although the intermixing of English genes are found prevalent in the Philippines, I hardly think that the high rate of Spanish blood would ever account for the low numbers of cases reported. Remember, since HIV uses the this particular gene to attack targeted cells, and since Asian and African rarely have the mutation, would that not mean that the spread in the Philippines would occur at as high of a rate as it does amongst African populations as well as other Asian populations?

Now as far as the conspiracy goes, we all know that HIV was a government experiment gone wrong. Since it only infects those without the mutation, would that not lead someone to think that it was perhaps developed by the Nazis in WWII as a way of cleansing the earth of anyone who was not of "pure blood"? It makes you think though; those who are of pure Anglo Saxon descent, will most likely have the genetic mutation.

One of the reasons for a lower rate of AIDS infections in the Philippines is the high rate of circumcision. Circumcised male are less likely to get infected from having sex and, conversely, spread infection to another partner. Circumcision in Africa is rare.

My theory is that africans take it up the bum more often in heterosexual unions (common method of birth control amongst the poor there) and this greatly increases the transmission rate.

I think it is the other way round. "People" now advise circumcision as a valid preventive measure.

My bad, that's right.

musicman666

And finally if you want a personal theory that you wont read in the newspapers? A doctor told me that HIV transfers through invisible micro-fissures in the skin of the penis. As (think about it) the skin probably gets stretched more in Africa, there will be more micro-fissures.

maybe somone should study aids levels in relation to dick sizes ... :closedeyes:

also on the subject of circumcising ... i read that it doesnt protect gay men from getting the disease. Tie that in with the understanding that hetrosexuals rarely transmit the disease .. so its not really going to make a huge difference.

Mike, is that really you in your avatar? I hope so. I like that pose, two-fisted but classy. See you guys in Cebu someday. Later,

My avatar is the late Oliver Reed. I don't drink nearly as much as he did.

From Wikipedia: Oliver Reed was forced to leave the set of the Channel 4 television discussion programme After Dark after arriving drunk and attempting to kiss feminist writer Kate Millett, uttering the memorable phrase "give us a kiss, big tits".

musicman666

yeah i think that clip is on youtube .. but a least he went out with a bang on the set of gladiator!!

udonthani

Circumcision in Africa is rare.

yeah sure it is. The moon is made of green cheese too.

Fantastic!!

I had no idea that your avitar was the same guy as the slave master in Gladiator.:welcome:

That one revelation has opened up an entire new avenue of thinking for me! (one of many avenues I shall say!)

• 2 weeks later...

circumcission a proven strategy to prevent HIV

93% of the Filipino male population are circumcised thats why we are among the countries with lowest AIDS population unlike in THailand its only 13%

http://www.circinfo.net/rates_of_circumcision.html

The funny thing is that many Filipinos claim that Filipinos are cleaner than Americans because Filipinos are circumcised. Why do the Filipinos not understand that most Americans are circumcised also ?

According to your link, 90% of white American men are circumcised, and 79% of all American men are circumcised.

I have even seen articles in Filipino newspapers claiming that Filipinos are circumcised while Americans are not.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

The funny thing is that many Filipinos claim that Filipinos are cleaner than Americans because Filipinos are circumcised. Why do the Filipinos not understand that most Americans are circumcised also ?

According to your link, 90% of white American men are circumcised, and 79% of all American men are circumcised.

I have even seen articles in Filipino newspapers claiming that Filipinos are circumcised while Americans are not.

people all over the world believe what they wanna believe

• 1 month later...
mattwilkie

The problem with any of these surveys/studys is its only as good as the data. My sister was involved with data gathering for a company years ago I cant discuss what her work actually was but data was manipulated to suit the figures needed. No country in their right minds wants to confront diseases head on especially ones with strong church views as like this topic it has moved into "gay" community. Now in the UK there is a lot of publicity to do with HIV/AIDS in the general populous yet the highest figures are within the gay community which isnt so nice to put in the press. Same as the majority of crime in London is caused by black males at the age of 25.

What my concern would be does it really make a difference to any of us here what is going on with HIV/AIDS? Im neither a drug user or engaging in sexual acts with anyone but my wife. Unless its getting into blood banks etc. its not my problem to fix as we are guests in the Philippines and its up to the governments to sort the mess out. But wasnt it also the U.N. that stated the mining industry would be wiped out in Africa because of the AIDS problem? How much has it really affected it? U.N. = cash for corruption.