Sign in to follow this  
blaze pontaine

JOLO

blaze pontaine

Do you guys think I would be ok down there? This is a serious question as I plan to be there unguarded. FYI, I have been to Gaza and had absolutely no problems.

smokey

Do you guys think I would be ok down there? This is a serious question as I plan to be there unguarded. FYI, I have been to Gaza and had absolutely no problems.

my wife's brother is military and she wanted to visit and he said fine but dont bring your husband its just to risky.. he has been there over 15 years ...

Paul

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am willing to travel to just about anywhere in the country. I have been all over Mindanao, having suffered nothing negative toward me in any capacity. However, one of the few places that even I would think twice about visiting is Jolo. I'm not saying I wouldn't go there. But, I would make damned sure that I did my homework and knew what was going on down there before a visit to the area.

Are you here in country now?

kc8ual

Wasn't there several American soldier blown up in Jolo just last week?

-Nick

Tomas

When I was in the Phils in late 2007, a Filipina friend invited me there, she runs a business and coordinates some of their product delivery from there and thought I might like to see the island although she warned me it would be dangerous.

I researched it and said no way, it really was not even a close call. Also, I thought about what I would put my family and my government through if something happened. It just seemed like a foolish risk.

While she was there, there was some kind of fire fight and they had to hide behind rocks as bullets were flying.

Tomas

udonthani

not saying this applies to the OP, but when somebody is going somewhere just because they want to say that they've been somewhere with the reputation of being dangerous, i.e. adrenaline tourism, or the 'Come Back Alive!' syndrome - well that's pretty self-indulgent in my opinion, also pretty selfish. Certainly as far as the UK is concerned, anywhere in mainland Mindanao, plus the southerly islands (but not the northerly ones like Camiguin and GL) and your travel insurance is void. When your embassy advises you not to travel to a particular region, you're not insured - for anything - with most travel policies. Obviously this is a very silly for somewhere like Cagayan de Oro, but not so silly for Jolo/Tawi-Tawi where any objective analysis should tell anybody it isn't worth the risk.

Penguin

Jolo- a little dicey

Basilan - ok, worth the trip

Been there, done that, survived.

Basically, unless you got a good reason to go to Jolo, don't go. If you got a good reason, then why not?

Sonny

Don't wear camo! :thumbsup:

Paul

Anyone who has been on this forum for a while, knows exactly how I feel about:

A. Our respective embassies, but certainly my own, the US Embassy in Manila.

B. Travel Advisories issued by our government lawyers.

Embassies: Embassies don't give two s*#ts about you, unless you are US government property (e.g. active US military personnel). Do NOT go to your US embassy for assistance if you get into trouble in this country. They will be completely useless to you. You will be much better off having someone who has your back. That is, you need friends here, not your embassy. You need someone who can lend you money, in the event you need it. You need someone who can make phone calls for you, in the event you need it.

Travel Advisories: Travel advisories are written by a bunch of worthless government lawyers who, I would bet money against, have never held a passport, or at least have probably never been off the US mainland in their lives. Advisories are merely something they (our own government) can use against and say, "I told you so!" That would only apply in the unlikely event that something actually happened to you. Had I read and paid attention to US Travel Advisories, I would have never come to the Philippines.

thebob

Do you guys think I would be ok down there?

Why don't you just walk from China into North Korea? I think it would be safer :thumbsup:

GoneAsiatic
Travel Advisories: Travel advisories are written by a bunch of worthless government lawyers who, I would be money on, have never held a passport, or at least have probably never been off the US mainland in their lives. Avisories are merely something they (our own government) can use against and say, "I told you so!" That would only apply in the unlikely event that something actually happened to you. Had I read and paid attention to US Travel Advisories, I would have never come to the Philippines.

The U.S. travel advisories will tell you part of the story, but only the part that the government wants to make public. For political reasons they often sanitize the risks or scams if they do not want to offend any particular country. If the country is an adversary, then they are more apt to be candid.

Thailand is a case in point of not wanting to offend the Thai government by refusing to include info on many of the scams that undoubtedly involve highly placed government officials. The King Power scandal is just one of many. The consular report will be sure to advise you to stay away from the south, and from street demonstrations, but will omit all the questionable suicides from the Bangkok Balcony Diving Club, and other scams that have been operating for decades as outlined in this observation: http://www.stickmanweekly.com/StickmanBangkokWeeklyColumn2009/ThailandMainstreamWesternMedia.htm

GoneAsiatic

not saying this applies to the OP, but when somebody is going somewhere just because they want to say that they've been somewhere with the reputation of being dangerous, i.e. adrenaline tourism, or the 'Come Back Alive!' syndrome - well that's pretty self-indulgent in my opinion, also pretty selfish. Certainly as far as the UK is concerned, anywhere in mainland Mindanao, plus the southerly islands (but not the northerly ones like Camiguin and GL) and your travel insurance is void. When your embassy advises you not to travel to a particular region, you're not insured - for anything - with most travel policies. Obviously this is a very silly for somewhere like Cagayan de Oro, but not so silly for Jolo/Tawi-Tawi where any objective analysis should tell anybody it isn't worth the risk.

Last month a reporter for The Times did a similarly reckless act in Pakistan that cost the lives of a British commando, the reporter's interpreter, and others. One news source called it:

udonthani

sometimes they're just stupid and downright ignorant. When I was based in South Africa in the mid-90s, sometimes there'd be stories about missing backpackers that had gotten off the plane and apparently headed straight for somewhere like Khaleyitsha, one of Cape Town's big bad black townships, looking for 'the vibe', or 'the real South Africa'. Usually that was the last time anyone heard of them ever again. We used to speculate their last words before they got their limbs torn apart by a mob, or had various parts of their body hacked off, or burned to death, were probably something like 'but I supported the anti-apartheid movement!'

blaze pontaine

wish me luck guys