American, shot dead in Dumanjug, Cebu

David_LivinginTalisay

David_LivinginTalisay

yxtra_answers_2_2.gif

Why adultery is consider a crime in the Philippine. And you will end up in jail?

Why not, its a crime against fidelity. People guilty of infidelity in accordance with the law should be jailed or be punished.

The Revised Penal Code Book Two, Title Eleven Article 333:

"Who are guilty of adultery.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David_LivinginTalisay

• billten

• Mik

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May the greedy murdering bastards be damned.   How to survive in a corrupt land? Keep a low profile. Avoid financial entanglements with locals. Avoid disputes with locals. Don't make enemies.   .

David when are you going to realize typing long winded responses time and time again over and over again, is a waste of bandwidth, get over it! you lost your wives commission money now move on! I for

I don't think it's really a good idea to post so much information about this when there's still an ongoing investigation. You never know who may be reading this public forum.

Posted Images

Is this the John Zuke who lived in a big house just out of Moalboal proper? I think he was a big Russian-American from New Jersey. He fooled aroung with iron welding/sculpting.. built a big house and had a couple of containers on stands. I met heim about ten years ago. I think his wife was from Negroes or Panay???

Is this the John Zuke who lived in a big house just out of Moalboal proper? I think he was a big Russian-American from New Jersey. He fooled aroung with iron welding/sculpting.. built a big house and had a couple of containers on stands. I met heim about ten years ago. I think his wife was from Negroes or Panay???

Yep. But, he had moved to Dumanjug later.

ppatrick671

As a filipina, id say you got it right - filipinos respect this attitude!

Me also have learned that this attitude works very well. I have a friend who visits my business alot. He was having a dispute with his wife. He was shot three days later and lived.

His wife and friends, (maybe even the shooter) seen me out in public. The friend with his wife showed me a gun as if he would use it. So in return i walked towards him along with my wife, showing our own firearm, and did not show any fear of being scared of them. This spread in my barangay very fast. Now i dont have any kind of trouble's like that. Even the local barangay officals and City police department back me up and say that was good thing to do. Even these hired gun's, go only after people and forigners because they know they can not shoot back.( Meaning they are not allowed to own a firearm, or most use the stay low attitude and dont cause trouble because we are forigners here.) I have heard this in many discussions with my filipino friends and connections.

An American, John Zuke, separated from a Filipina and living with another Filipina, in his home in Dumanjug, Cebu, was shot dead when he neared his home after a trip into Cebu City about 4pm on Saturday (2nd October 2009).

John Zuke had phoned me just the day before, to ask what was the latest on PDIC Claims, and Claims against Celso G de los Angeles Jr. and Claims against Catherine L. Soronio.

I got to know John Zuke, since he was one of those who also filed a Case of Syndicated Estafa against Catherine L. Soronio et al, using Atty. Ervin Estandarte, who was representing Susan & Michael Langdon. In fact he was another whom Catherine L. Soronio tried to get BI to deport for not having a Work Permit to be a Motorcycle Dealer (but that failed miserably since we are 'Permenant Residents' and 'exempt' the need for 'Alien Employment Permit, so are allowed to work, so a BS 'charge')!

The NBI are investigating the shooting, as possible 'murder', as the local word is, there was a witness who saw the 'hired gun', it was reported on local Radio.

I am NOT suggestion it was connected with his filing of Syndicated Estafa - that could not be connected to his possible murder.

More likely it might turn out to be connected with his Filipina 'Ex', as we heard there was a 'dispute' over money and property ownership.

But let us not speculate, on WHO might of shot John Zuke (or hired someone to kill him?), or WHY?

An American, with 'Permanent Resident' status, living in Dumanjug, with his new Filipina wife (common law), was shot, and died from this apparently. Wait for more news and autopsy report to confirm what happened.

If I hear any more, will update this Forum.

David Whittall

Why in the world would a foreigner choose to live in a country like the Philippines where:

- life is so cheap.

- guns for hire can be contracted easily and cheaply by just about anyone.

- you have very few rights.

- it is suggested you keep a low profile, dress and act like the poor locals, and not flaunt your

Why in the world would a foreigner choose to live in a country like the Philippines where:

- life is so cheap.

- it is suggested you keep a low profile, dress and act like the poor locals, and not flaunt your "wealth" in order not to be targeted.

- you are advised to turn your home into a fortified compound including walls with imbedded glass shards, guard dogs and keep a bolo under the bed.

- a personal safety maxim mentioned for the Philippines is,"Treat ALL Filipinos with respect ALL of the time!"

Not to mention:

- Regular coups, often violent

- Bombs in downtown Manila

- Torrential rain

- oh yeah, and those barking dogs, crowing roosters, and air horns...

Oh yea, and neighborhood Karoke

Yeah I'm full member! Now I can start spamming away lol!

Edited by OldSchool
GoneAsiatic

Joe, you have made some very valid points. Regarding the risks of losing your life, that would not bother me nearly as much as knowing the SOBs who killed me would have a 95% or better chance of getting away with it.

The Mason

- life is so cheap.

- it is suggested you keep a low profile, dress and act like the poor locals, and not flaunt your

Cary, not sure what you are on about really as there were no Typhoon problems here in CEBU, where this ambush and murder took place - only Northern Luzon area.

I posted an update giving what was in the local papers - did you not read (translate) from my update post?

Sounds like they may have a suspect, but not providing any more details at this point.

Hi David, I am sorry for having bad geography but i was curious about the story that was posted. And I am sorry I missed your updated post, I wil try to do better in the future.

Are you describing the Philippines or one of the larger US cities, Joe Kano?

Life is just as cheap in the States, when some bozo with a gun flips out and starts shooting at random.

Guns for hire can be had there too. You just have to know where to look for them.

You have lots of rights in the US, right up until the time you go to use them. Then someone with more money than morals will often threaten you with a frivolous lawsuit. If you can't afford a lawyer to defend you, or find one that will work pro bono publico, you have to swallow your pride and back down.

No one says you need to dress like a tramp here. Just don't go around rubbing people's noses in their poverty. There are people everywhere in the world who will take what's not theirs if they want it badly enough and feel "entitled" to it.

Who has an armed, walled compound? Yeah, there's a wall around our apartment's courtyard, with a gate that half the time doesn't latch properly. You really just need a solid exterior-grade door and a deadbolt lock, the same as you'd want to have anywhere. People that advocate owning guns, vicious dogs, alarm systems, etc. are just overly paranoid in my opinion. If someone wants to break in badly enough they will: the trick is just to make your place seem a little bit harder to get into than your neighbor's. It's the same way everywhere. And yeah, we have a dog. I'd been wanting one ever since coming here: I'd been staying at my sister's and brother-in-laws for a few months and I missed their dogs. She's ostensibly for protection. Her actual job is to provide love, companionship, and entertainment. :closedeyes:

You should really treat others with respect everywhere you happen to be. That's just good manners. The best way to earn the respect of others is to first give them yours.

Some robberies and murders here are inside jobs, yeah. The majority of murders in the US are committed by relatives or friends of the victim- someone they knew. You ultimately just have to use common sense here and look out for yourself. Same goes for Chicago or Detroit, from what I've heard.

Re: insulting a local and getting into disputes, that was already covered. Show respect, don't get insulting or personal, stick to the actual issue. Plus it is a different culture here so you should give your opponent an "out" to let them save face.

I haven't seen any examples of police (or any other government official's) incompetency so far. They're understaffed and underfunded, though.

Yes, people think "all foreigners are rich". We are, by their standards. Once they get to know us, though, they realize that we're OK, just a regular guy. Not staying in an armed compound, riding jeepneys instead of a car and driver, eating rice and something at the local eatery instead of dining at Ayala Terraces every day, buying a liter of beer at the sari-sari store and sharing it, wearing shorts or jeans and a t-shirt just like they do, haggling over prices (again, like they do- it's the custom here) all help.

The advantages: you can live here for about one fifth of what it would cost in the US (or at least in our part of it- I'm from the Seattle area), almost everyone you encounter speaks English to some degree of fluency- enough that you can talk to them, people here smile and are helpful even to a stranger, they actually have those Family Values that the Republicans and Religious Right have been spouting off about for the last decade or so, the climate's like summer all the time. You can lose your life anywhere. In fact, you're eventually going to, I guarantee it. No one lives forever. Better a few years of happiness than many years of misery.

Edited by Jay
rainymike

I don't know. I pretty much like living here.

But I'm not stupid. I know that if I go walking alone in some cheesy part of town at midnight, my risks go up greatly.

I know that if I pick someone to hang around me in life who has a family full of dysfunctional people, that crap will begin to affect my life as well.

I know that if I pick someone to hang around me in life who is very dysfunctional emotionally and socially, is going to weigh me down and not pick me up (unless I'm more dysfunctional than her).

I don't have illusions about the Phils being freer than anywhere else on the planet, but so far my lifestyle fits well within their rules as they did in the states.

I don't walk around feeling that everyone is a saint or an asshole. I learn to use good judgement and evaluate all situations as they arise. That way I don't walk around blind and end up a sucker for every scam possible or walk around paranoid as all hell thinking the boogeyman is under my bed.

I know that no matter what situation I'm in, there is always someone bigger, badder, and has a bigger gun than me.

I don't avoid getting involved with people, but try to be smart enough to know when to walk away when its not right and don't feed any fantasies.

Shit happens on this planet. America or the Philippines. Shit happens more if you're stupid. That's true in America (I've had my share of stupidity) and is true here as well. Figure out what works for you and the people you hang with - I don't believe there's a magic formula. If you need to take risks, accept them for what they are and if crap hits the fan, well what do you expect? No need to live in a closet here, but like anywhere else, it pays to live smart the best you can, most of the time.

smokey

Its common knowledge you can live here cheaper then the us ... all you have to do is forget hot water... bake in the sun... do without police or fire protection. Give up good steak... learn to use carbon paper again for paperwork. Buy only used shorts and slippers to wear everywhere, order rice with everything... eat ice cream with corn and assorted veggies in it...and have no car..., use jeepney for travel... and get used to buying out of date products.. Did I miss anything... oh yea and get used to living like sardines,

I don't know. I pretty much like living here.

But I'm not stupid. I know that if I go walking alone in some cheesy part of town at midnight, my risks go up greatly.

I know that if I pick someone to hang around me in life who has a family full of dysfunctional people, that crap will begin to affect my life as well.

I know that if I pick someone to hang around me in life who is very dysfunctional emotionally and socially, is going to weigh me down and not pick me up (unless I'm more dysfunctional than her).

I don't have illusions about the Phils being freer than anywhere else on the planet, but so far my lifestyle fits well within their rules as they did in the states.

I don't walk around feeling that everyone is a saint or an asshole. I learn to use good judgement and evaluate all situations as they arise. That way I don't walk around blind and end up a sucker for every scam possible or walk around paranoid as all hell thinking the boogeyman is under my bed.

I know that no matter what situation I'm in, there is always someone bigger, badder, and has a bigger gun than me.

I don't avoid getting involved with people, but try to be smart enough to know when to walk away when its not right and don't feed any fantasies.

Shit happens on this planet. America or the Philippines. Shit happens more if you're stupid. That's true in America (I've had my share of stupidity) and is true here as well. Figure out what works for you and the people you hang with - I don't believe there's a magic formula. If you need to take risks, accept them for what they are and if crap hits the fan, well what do you expect? No need to live in a closet here, but like anywhere else, it pays to live smart the best you can, most of the time.

Very, very well said.

jazzy