American, shot dead in Dumanjug, Cebu

David_LivinginTalisay

The NBI are investigating the shooting, as possible 'murder', as the local word is, there was a witness who saw the 'hired gun', it was reported on local Radio.

David Whittall

So, being shot to death by someone who flees the scene is not considered "murder" in the Philippines?

Since preliminary reports seem to indicate homicide (vice suicide or accidental death), and circumstances seem to rule out manslaughter, and it was not a sanctioned killing by the police or state, what else could it be called?

They would have no other option than to resort to violence, not because they are violent people, but because they would have no other way of finding justice.

Seems logical and appropriate.

Be polite, smile as much as you can, make as many friends as possible, don't involve yourself in local business or politics and most importantly be willing to kill someone if they cross the line. And make sure everyone in your barangay knows it...

Again, seems logical and appropriate.

I guess when living in the Wild West, as the saying goes, "better to be judged by 12, then carried by six". :tongue_01:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David_LivinginTalisay

• billten

• Mik

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May the greedy murdering bastards be damned.   How to survive in a corrupt land? Keep a low profile. Avoid financial entanglements with locals. Avoid disputes with locals. Don't make enemies.   .

David when are you going to realize typing long winded responses time and time again over and over again, is a waste of bandwidth, get over it! you lost your wives commission money now move on! I for

I don't think it's really a good idea to post so much information about this when there's still an ongoing investigation. You never know who may be reading this public forum.

Posted Images

Jim Sibbick

I guess when living in the Wild West, as the saying goes, "better to be judged by 12, then carried by six". :thumbsup:

Cebu is not the wild west.

There are laws and all foreigners should abide by them.

It is the people who think it is the wild west and that rules do not apply that we are reading about here and in similar posts.

Having the neigbourhood know that you are willing to kill any of them will just make more trouble with the foreigner.

Best to be a good neighbour. I don't mean handing out money when asked. I mean joining in when they offer you a beer. Have an occasional social night where everyone gets drunk at your expense. Help out if a neighbour is in trouble.

My own personal safety maxim for the Philippines is.....Treat ALL Filipinos with respect ALL of the time!

Never cause anyone to lose face!

Regardless of your personal thoughts on any given situation, just grin and bear it.

I don't think it's really a good idea to post so much information about this when there's still an ongoing investigation. You never know who may be reading this public forum.

PNP, NBI and Cebu City officials all read the Living in Cebu forums. This is known because we have been front page news in the past and have been contacted by PNP and NBI regarding posts on the previous Nighlife Forum.

It is the reason this new forum was created

Regards: Jim

Edited by Jim Sibbick

Dumanjug gets new police chief

(The Freeman) Updated October 06, 2009 12:00 AM

CEBU, Philippines - A day after the killing of an American National in Dumanjug last Friday, Cebu Provincial Police Office director Jesus Gaquing relieved the towns police chief, transferring the latter to Carcar City.

Effective October 3, former Carcar Police Station chief Arnulfo Lastimoso assumed the post vacated by Dumanjug police chief Patrocenio Baylosis and given the task to solve the killing of John Walter Suke, 64, a resident of barangay Lawaan, Dumanjug who was killed at 3:45 p.m. last Friday in an ambush.

Gaquing said they are eyeing a gun-for-hire group as the perpetrators of the crime and believe personal grudge was the motive behind the incident.

The police official explained he chose Lastimoso to be Dumanjugs police chief as he lives in the nearby town of Alcantara and he believed that he is more knowledgeable of the place than Baylosis.

Gaquing also believes Lastimoso could solve the crime and give justice to the victim.

Right after receiving the report on the killing of Suke, Gaquing immediately sent personnel from the Provincial Intelligence Branch (PIB) and the Provincial Mobile Group (PMG) to help in the investigation.

The CPPO director said they had a hard time contacting Dumanjug police because its telephone was malfunctioning, and when he contacted one of the policemen assigned there, he learned that Baylosis went home to Alegria even if the investigation on the killing is still going on.

Suke was driving his Hi-Ace motorcycle with plate numbers NR-208 along the national highway on Sitio Lumboy, Barangay Cambuwang, Dumanjug when two unidentified motorcycle riding men shot him several times, hitting his chest and head. He was declared dead on arrival at Barili District Hospital.

- Gabriel C. Bonjoc/WAB (FREEMAN NEWS)

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=511628&publicationSubCategoryId=107

Edited by M.Morey

May the greedy murdering bastards be damned.

How to survive in a corrupt land? Keep a low profile. Avoid financial entanglements with locals. Avoid disputes with locals. Don't make enemies.

I think Morey is right about this. Whenever an American (or any Caucasian), who already sticks out like a sore thumb, is living in any 3rd world country and chooses to make him/herself more noticeable involving money, you have to expect that you're going to be attracting the wrong sort of people. Like wolves to carrion, who do you think is going to be knocking on your door...or pulling out a gun? Keeping a low profile is the only way to go!

David_LivinginTalisay
Suke was driving his Hi-Ace motorcycle with plate numbers NR-208 along the national highway on Sitio Lumboy, Barangay Cambuwang, Dumanjug when two unidentified motorcycle riding men shot him several times, hitting his chest and head. He was declared dead on arrival at Barili District Hospital.

Typical of Pilipino Journalism standards - the name becomes 'Suke' rather than 'Zuke' and he was driving his Hi-Ace motorcycle

Actually I think a Number Plate NR-208 might actually be a motorcycle (John had an old 4 Cylinder Kawasaki I think), rather than a Hi-Ace Van?

Gaquing said they are eyeing a gun-for-hire group as the perpetrators of the crime and believe personal grudge was the motive behind the incident.

Glad to hear they are taking this seriously, and appointing someone they feel can do a better job of assisting the investigation.

Dumanjug gets new police chief

(The Freeman) Updated October 06, 2009 12:00 AM

- Gabriel C. Bonjoc/WAB (FREEMAN NEWS)

http://www.philstar....bCategoryId=107

Cebu is not the wild west.

There are laws and all foreigners should abide by them.

It is the people who think it is the wild west and that rules do not apply that we are reading about here and in similar posts.

Having the neigbourhood know that you are willing to kill any of them will just make more trouble with the foreigner.

Best to be a good neighbour. I don't mean handing out money when asked. I mean joining in when they offer you a beer. Have an occasional social night where everyone gets drunk at your expense. Help out if a neighbour is in trouble.

My own personal safety maxim for the Philippines is.....Treat ALL Filipinos with respect ALL of the time!

Never cause anyone to lose face!

Regardless of your personal thoughts on any given situation, just grin and bear it.

PNP, NBI and Cebu City officials all read the Living in Cebu forums. This is known because we have been front page news in the past and have been contacted by PNP and NBI regarding posts on the previous Nighlife Forum.

It is the reason this new forum was created

Regards: Jim

Compared to the small town in the US I live in, Cebu is definitely the Wild West.

As far as your style of fitting in with the locals, all I will say is to each his own.

I would be more apt to have high walls, big dogs, and even bigger guards. Those who give respect, get respect. Those who play with the bull, get the horns.

smokey

one half of the guys say living low profile ... dress like the locals, ride jeepney , look and act poor, the other side says live in a subdivision , drive your own car, have your wife get a gun permit.. if i had to live like a local and had to ride jeepney to hide i would not bother to come here in the first place .. Dont ever insult a local .. dam pucker your lips ... i respect those who show me respect .. hit me and i will hit you back , do onto others as you would want them to do onto you ..

or the fool who paid for his "fiance's" former bf's baby to be born ... once the hospital bill was paid she was done..

A philosopher of truth.

Then there's the one who puts his true love through college blind,when she graduates,what happened-you mean it was'nt real true love.

<br /><br /><br />

one half of the guys say living low profile ... dress like the locals, ride jeepney , look and act poor, the other side says live in a subdivision , drive your own car, have your wife get a gun permit.. if i had to live like a local and had to ride jeepney to hide i would not bother to come here in the first place .. Dont ever insult a local .. dam pucker your lips ... i respect those who show me respect .. hit me and i will hit you back , do onto others as you would want them to do onto you ..

I totally agree...

This sneaking around nonsense if for the birds. Be honest, be respectful, make friends and make yourself a hard target.

There are two kinds of murders of white guys that i have noticed.

The first kinds is pure and simple, a crook or crooks, see you and want your money. They come and take your stuff and then kill you so you don't tell who they were. Being a nice guy, paying for the locals to get drunk or whatever won't ever stop this kind of person. Getting scary dogs and being known that you have a gun and will shoot, will stop them, Trust me, crooks are lazy, if there is an easier target, they will move on.

The second kind is to do with your partner, partners family or close associates. You get murdered due to keeping bad company or misunderstanding the situation you are in. Noone can help you with that. Its up to you to keep your finger on that pulse and know when to fold up and move on.

Anyhow, keep your street sense alert both outside and inside your home and make yourself a difficult person to get to / hurt and you should be fine IMHO...

There are two kinds of murders of white guys that i have noticed.

There are other situations of course:

3. A psycho happens to see you and freaks out, stabbing you in the back out of the blue. This happened to someone I know just last week, but they were a filipina. Could have been a white guy just as easily.

4. You're walking on the sidewalk/street (such as houndriver's walk cebu tour) and a drunk driver (or idiot driver or txting while driving driver) hits you and kills you. Due to their actions, its still murder.

5. Someone hates you because you're an American, and kills you because of the USA's actions around the world.

Edited by Doc Smith

There are other situations of course:

3. A psycho happens to see you and freaks out, stabbing you in the back out of the blue. This happened to someone I know just last week, but they were a filipina. Could have been a white guy just as easily.

4. You're walking on the sidewalk/street (such as houndriver's walk cebu tour) and a drunk driver (or idiot driver or txting while driving driver) hits you and kills you. Due to their actions, its still murder.

5. Someone hates you because you're an American, and kills you because of the USA's actions around the world.

Regarding point 4.:

have you traveled up the North Highway to Danao? Its normal routine for the big jeepneys traveling that route to go

at high speed with 4 or 5 people hanging on the outside, overtaking on blind bends, regularly pulling onto the side

of the road and forcing other vehicles off the road, and the drivers arn't drunk or texting they are all "crazy drivers", if you want to stay alive up there you have to always be ready to jump out of the way.

Statistically no. 4 is probably the most likely way to get killed here (on the roads because of crazy drivers) possibly because P2,000 can buy you a driving lic. with no test.

Edited by Chaz
GoneAsiatic

Or maybe he kills you because you have the plastic smile of a used car salesman who just sold him a clunker that broke as soon as he drove it off the lot.

musicman666

Regarding point 4.:

have you traveled up the North Highway to Danao? Its normal routine for the big jeepneys traveling that route to go

at high speed with 4 or 5 people hanging on the outside, overtaking on blind bends, regularly pulling onto the side

of the road and forcing other vehicles off the road, and the drivers arn't drunk or texting they are all "crazy drivers", if you want to stay alive up there you have to always be ready to jump out of the way.

Statistically no. 4 is probably the most likely way to get killed here (on the roads because of crazy drivers) possibly because P2,000 can buy you a driving lic. with no test.

I have this dream that one day i will buy some beaten up old brinks cash wagon and just drive .... i want to go one on one with some piece of junk jeepney ..and they stop to let me through :lol:

David_LivinginTalisay

yxtra_answers_2_2.gif

Why adultery is consider a crime in the Philippine. And you will end up in jail?

Why not, its a crime against fidelity. People guilty of infidelity in accordance with the law should be jailed or be punished.

The Revised Penal Code Book Two, Title Eleven Article 333:

"Who are guilty of adultery. — Adultery is committed by any married woman who shall have sexual intercourse with a man not her husband and by the man who has carnal knowledge of her knowing her to be married, even if the marriage be subsequently declared void.

Adultery shall be punished by prision correccional in its medium and maximum periods.

If the person guilty of adultery committed this offense while being abandoned without justification by the offended spouse, the penalty next lower in degree than that provided in the next preceding paragraph shall be imposed. "

Source(s):

Title Eleven
CRIMES AGAINST CHASTITY
Chapter One
ADULTERY AND CONCUBINAGE
<br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 102);">
Art. 333.
Who are guilty of adultery
. — Adultery is committed by any married woman who shall have sexual intercourse with a man not her husband and by the man who has carnal knowledge of her knowing her to be married, even if the marriage be subsequently declared void.
Adultery shall be punished by prision correccional in its medium and maximum periods.

If the person guilty of adultery committed this offense while being abandoned without justification by the offended spouse, the penalty next lower in degree than that provided in the next preceding paragraph shall be imposed.

Art. 334.
Concubinage.
— Any husband who shall keep a mistress in the conjugal dwelling, or shall have sexual intercourse, under scandalous circumstances, with a woman who is not his wife, or shall cohabit with her in any other place, shall be punished by prision correccional in its minimum and medium periods.

The concubine shall suffer the penalty of destierro.

From Wiki Law Project (Philippines)
It is defined as: "Banishment or only a prohibition from residing within the radius of twenty (25) kilometers from the actual residence of the accused for a specified length of time."

It is also defined as: "A penalty in a criminal case wherein the accused is precluded from entering the place or places designated in the sentence, or within the radius therein designated, which shall include a distance of 25 kilometers at least, and 250 kilometers at most, from the place designated."

Adultery

Adultery as stated in art. 333 under Title 11 Crimes Against Chastity of the Revised Penal Code, states

Who are guilty of adultery. - Adultery is committed by any married woman who shall have sexual intercourse with a man not her husband and by the man who has carnal knowledge ofher knowing herto be married, even if the marriage be subsequently delcared void.

It is understandable that other countries have already repealed adultery as a crime because it is no longer fitting and appropriate with the present changing conditions. The Philippine revised Penal Code (although revised) took effect long time ago, to be specific, it took effect on Jan. 1, 1932. The provision on adultery and concubinage has not been repealed or modified yet.

The elements for the crime to be consummated are as follows:

1. that the accused is a married woman (note: not married man, if the accused is a man, possibly he can be charged with concubinage)

2. the married woman have had sexual intercourse with another man not her husband (note: sex with another woman is not adultery)

Also, the man who had sexual intercourse with the woman, knowing that she is married can also be charged with adultery.

The penalty for such crime is prision correccional in its medium (2 yrs., 4 mo. & a day to 4 yrs, 2 mo.) and maximum periods (4 yrs., 2 mo. and 1 day to 6 yrs.).

In the Philippines, a felony (or crime) is an act or omission punishable by law. Adultery as defined and punished by the Revised Penal Code, is a crime committed by a woman who had carnal knowledge who is not her husband, as well as the man who knows that the woman is married. Therefore, adultery is a crime in the Philippines, because, it is defined and punished by the Revised Penal Code.

And yes the offenders will go to jail.

Adultery is voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and one who is not his or her spouse.

Anyone who commits adultery should end up in jail according to Philippine Family Code/Law. If that law was strictly followed, at least half the population is in jail already.

Adultery in the Philippines is applied almost exclusively to women. (Concubinage for men)

Pressing charges requires a lot of money and humiliation, some adulterers just end up dead or homeless.

It's a question of who's got more money.

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay