Wood for BBQing

What types of woods are readily available for BBQing meats in the Philippines?

By BBQing I mean American style "low and slow" with indirect cooking of meats using smoke from an off-set fire.

In the US (I am in Virginia now) I can get -

Oak

Mesquite

Pecan

Apple

etc.

Has anybody tried BBQing the traditional way there with a barrel smoker or anything?

Any success with local woods?

I know the Filipinos go for "spit roasting" (rotisserie) whole pigs and chickens (lechon) over hot coals, but this is not really American style barbeque.

shadow

I have tried repeatedly to "slow smoke", and failed miserably each time. The humidity is too high, turns the smoker into a greenhouse instead of a drying process. You HAVE to get the heat up in order to get rid of the moisture. A fast smoke works. I have built a dozen or so barrel smokers for people, and they work just fine. We use mango wood, which is very similar to apple. However, the mango accumilates a black resiny type substance on the bark, which must be washed off prior to using the wood, as it is very caustic.

Good luck!

Larry in Dumaguete

What types of woods are readily available for BBQing meats in the Philippines?

By BBQing I mean American style "low and slow" with indirect cooking of meats using smoke from an off-set fire.

In the US (I am in Virginia now) I can get -

Oak

Mesquite

Pecan

Apple

etc.

Has anybody tried BBQing the traditional way there with a barrel smoker or anything?

Any success with local woods?

I know the Filipinos go for "spit roasting" (rotisserie) whole pigs and chickens (lechon) over hot coals, but this is not really American style barbeque.

Thanks Larry, good to know tips.

Also, good to know there are BBQers in the Fils.

I BBQ in Virginia where it can get pretty humid, but maybe not as much as the Fils. I also put a pan of water, beer, herbs, etc. in the smoker to try and raise the humidity so the meats don't get to dry on occasion, depending on what I am smoking. I mop as well sometime, sometimes I don't. Depends on my mood and/or laziness.

But, weather definitely affects your smoking technique. Do you do any Beef Ribs or Brisket in the Fils? Is it easy to get Beef Ribs or Brisket there?

Bob Ward

When I left the US of A, I owned five BBQ appliances. Smokey Joe travel grill, Weber 22" kettle grill, Weber Series A Gas grill, Smokey Mountain box smoker converted to gas, and a New Braunfels Bandera Smoker that has an offset firebox. The latter would smoke 200 lbs of assorted meats depending upon the cut.

I guess I was kind of a BBQ FANatic! Ace hardware brings in hard wood chunks and chips of assorted varieties. You pay for it, but that goes without saying.

Edited by Bob Ward