Sign in to follow this  
sethcdavis

Korean Air

sethcdavis

Hey guys!

I'm flying KAL (through Seoul) and am bringing quite a bit of expensive equipment that I'll be trying to carry on with me. I'm under the carry-on limits so far but am attracted to the 2 checked bags for free rule that they offer. If I do have to check anything, can anyone tell me if the airline offers some sort of insurance on the contents of my bags?

Any advise Would help.

Mik

I would not want to put any valuables in checked luggage. Insurance is likely less than your the value of your expensive equipment. Pilferage, damage and lost bags are common. Check with the airlines first. If you can't hand carry your valuables, then better to ship it by FedEx or some other reliable company.

Edited by M.Morey

Rogersea

From the following LINK http://www.koreanair.com/ follow the at the airport link and you will find this and possibly more

*******************"Passengers should not place high-priced valuables such as laptop computers, camcorders, cameras, jewelry, antiques, precious metals, etc. in check-in baggage, and are recommended to carry such items on their person at all times.

The airline is not responsible for any damage and/or loss, as well as any damage/loss resulting from such, of such items that may also include currency, securities, contracts, dissertations, medical supplies, etc.

Except however that this limitation on liability does not apply to flights to or from the United States. In this case the passenger is required to provide evidence as to the existence and the value of the lost item in order to establish his/her right to damages and Korean Air is not liable if and to the extent that the damage resulted from the inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage.

Ad Valorem Duties

Korean Air operates a system of

sethcdavis

Thanks for all the good info. I'm going to be bringing some things that I can't all fit into a carry on....and I'd realllly don't want to FedEx them and wait for that mail to arrive. (Any Idea how quickly I can get items via FedEx from North Carolina or California to Cebu?)

My additional question is....when you guys say "lost" or "damaged" checked luggage with KAL....is this typically because someone is actually vandalizing the bags and looking around for valuable things? Or is it just a corporate breakdown with the airline and a random percentage of things get lost or damaged doing business?

Rogersea

Seth,

I am assuming from your questions that you dont travel much, but any way, the verbiage in the last email I sent you was from the website and is typical of wording found on all airline websites.

You need to do some research on the FEDEX website www.fedex.com, or talk to your local asian store concerning Balikbyan Boxes. If you do decide to FEDEX the items then you can have your items held for pickup at the Mactan facility. Just be aware that if you are sending new high priced items you may be subject to import duties.. I have had items fedexed to me and held at the Mactan(airport facility) and picking them up was completely painless.

Again I have never had anything stolen and I routinely carry thousands of $$$$'s worth of SCUBA gear in my Checked backage and never had a problem....

Cheers

Edited by Rogersea

sethcdavis

Thanks for that Post. Extremely helpful. I do travel quite a bit, just not typically with more than a carry on, and not to Asia.

I'll do my research and give it a whirl.