Sign in to follow this  
freeheeler

The Population In The Phillipines Is About To Grow

freeheeler
If your girl is the lovely little thing wearing pink in that picture, you are going to have a WONDERFUL time. And yes, I think you will need those energy pills, or some kind of pills .

Oh how I wish I was at that stage already.

Good luck and you are going to have the experience of a lifetime.

Fun, exciting, educational, and you will get to feel like a hero when you help her family.

Dude, a C.R. named after you. ha ha ha ha

What I find totally amazing is that everytime I speak with her or her brother and sisters, either on the phone or via webcam they are always smiling or laughing. Yet they have nothing, no computer games, bikes, nike shoes, not even a TV at the minute as the last one blew up!! Nothing but sandals and she does everyones laundry every day of the week and yet they are still happy. Where I live if they can't drive their daddy's BMW they throw a tantrum. It's all very humbling and I am so looking forward to being a part of it. I have bought her ten year old brother a Manchester United soccer kit (he had actually never heard of them when I asked him) for xmas. I mean, if he is going to beat me he should be able to do it in style

james

yes the favoured gift, my father in law is buried in his Manchester United shirt, all the nephews have England shirts I bought a job lot from E Bay, so if you see a crocidile of little kids in England shirts on route to Ayala McDonalds they arent mine as people think. Just a great way to keep the family in order so I dont lose one

have a great time I get home in 9 days wooow will beat you there by a few weeks mate

James

ding

good luck dude! i hope you have a blast and everything works out for you.

Pazific_Dreamz
What I find totally amazing is that everytime I speak with her or her brother and sisters, either on the phone or via webcam they are always smiling or laughing. Yet they have nothing, no computer games, bikes, nike shoes, not even a TV at the minute as the last one blew up!! Nothing but sandals and she does everyones laundry every day of the week and yet they are still happy. Where I live if they can't drive their daddy's BMW they throw a tantrum. It's all very humbling and I am so looking forward to being a part of it. I have bought her ten year old brother a Manchester United soccer kit (he had actually never heard of them when I asked him) for xmas. I mean, if he is going to beat me he should be able to do it in style

The answer is quite simple. In the US and EEC we all play a game with the consumergoods. Hiding behind them. Using them for empty show off. Using them for escapism. Look - we are monkeys. Our needs are simple. Some bananas for food. Water. A small shelter. Our real needs are group animal-needs - touching, nurturing, mating, playing in a pure maner...

In a world stripped for material extras - only the real needs are left. And they overall don't require money. Eyecontact, a smile, sharing etc. etc. Those are the real values. Values that makes humans happy. Ok they starve from time to time. Not good. But then again they don't suffer from dying of fat either.

Human needs are simple. In the West we messed them up with articficial needs. That is why we are unhappy and get presciptions for prozac.

CaptainJackson
What I find totally amazing is that everytime I speak with her or her brother and sisters, either on the phone or via webcam they are always smiling or laughing. Yet they have nothing, no computer games, bikes, nike shoes, not even a TV at the minute as the last one blew up!! Nothing but sandals and she does everyones laundry every day of the week and yet they are still happy. It's all very humbling and I am so looking forward to being a part of it.

Let me add to what Pazific Dreamz has stated.

It is all very humbling. And you are absolutely correct. They have nothing, and they always seem to be smiling. I think the only time they are not smiling is when they are sleeping (but I bet some members here will say they smile in there sleep too.) But they are happy to have only a bowl of rice and water. Meat, vegetables, sprite..... these are all extra's, for a special occation.

Their situation will bring tears to your eyes. You are going to return from this trip a changed man. You will appreciate the little things and not get so upset at the traffic jams back home (at least for a little while). You may even feel guiltry for beeing a successful "Kano", but then you will start thinking how you can really help them.

I offer this tib-bit of advice. Don't fgive them everything YOU think they need. Ask them what they need. At first they probably won't admit they need much as they are a poor, but very proud people. Respect them. Usually a sack of rice is a welcome gift.

You may want to inquire about a pig roast for their family, and neighbors, while you are there. I think it is called Lechon. Ask your girl about this as you cannot pull this off without much help.

As happy as your arrival will make them, when it is time for you to leave there won't be a dry eye in the village.

Oh, I just thought of some gift ideas. I don't have a clue on what you want to do for her siblings, but shoes and school supplies are a good idea.

Happy travels

freeheeler
yes the favoured gift, my father in law is buried in his Manchester United shirt, all the nephews have England shirts I bought a job lot from E Bay, so if you see a crocidile of little kids in England shirts on route to Ayala McDonalds they arent mine as people think. Just a great way to keep the family in order so I dont lose one

have a great time I get home in 9 days wooow will beat you there by a few weeks mate

James

Maybe I should get all her cousins, nephews and neices Northern Ireland football shirts and we can arrange a match. Do you remember who won the last one?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/4212920.stm :PNothing wrong with being second best!!!!

freeheeler
Let me add to what Pazific Dreamz has stated.

It is all very humbling. And you are absolutely correct. They have nothing, and they always seem to be smiling. I think the only time they are not smiling is when they are sleeping (but I bet some members here will say they smile in there sleep too.) But they are happy to have only a bowl of rice and water. Meat, vegetables, sprite..... these are all extra's, for a special occation.

Their situation will bring tears to your eyes. You are going to return from this trip a changed man. You will appreciate the little things and not get so upset at the traffic jams back home (at least for a little while). You may even feel guiltry for beeing a successful "Kano", but then you will start thinking how you can really help them.

I offer this tib-bit of advice. Don't fgive them everything YOU think they need. Ask them what they need. At first they probably won't admit they need much as they are a poor, but very proud people. Respect them. Usually a sack of rice is a welcome gift.

You may want to inquire about a pig roast for their family, and neighbors, while you are there. I think it is called Lechon. Ask your girl about this as you cannot pull this off without much help.

As happy as your arrival will make them, when it is time for you to leave there won't be a dry eye in the village.

Oh, I just thought of some gift ideas. I don't have a clue on what you want to do for her siblings, but shoes and school supplies are a good idea.

Happy travels

Thanks Pazific dreamz and Talisayus. Very helpful. I have asked her on occassions is there anything her family would like or need but I always get the same reply " Noooo, we are all OK" it's so sweet when she says that. the Lechon thing is a good idea, maybe on my last day in the village we can have some kind of party, those things look good. Maybe we can have rooster with it :P

I'll know better what their school needs are after I meet them and then when I come back I can send them stuff that they need. I'm taking over boxes of pens and coloring crayons which I am sure they can use.

Steve
I have asked her on occassions is there anything her family would like or need but I always get the same reply " Noooo, we are all OK" it's so sweet when she says that.

I can relate to this, I have offered to Donna several times to help but I pretty much get the same response. But after asking a few times, she finally gives in and accepts.

Nangulo

It had been 20 years since I

freeheeler
It had been 20 years since I

crewsafe
I realise that. I had a practice session at packing my cases to see what I could fit in. I looked at all the stuff I had in there clothes, shoes, cameras, camcorders, clothes for every possible occassion and I started to feel bad about bringing it all and wondering how it would make them feel. Everytime I send a large box over containing basic items like spam, corned beef and t shirts toothpaste etc etc they all come on the phone and thank me.

Oh well, I guess this is part of lifes learning curve!!!!

I'll just offer this...If you see that they are really happy in their own version of "Shangri la" then leave them to it.

If you wind up marrying this young lady, then don't worry, you'll be back & investing wisely as JLG is in Negros.

I'd go immediately with the sack (cavan...roughly 1,000 pesos) of rice. We Westerners seriously underestimate the importance that rice plays in the lives of Asians. Just say it is your way of showing your appreciation of them for letting you stay in their house, then after a day or two, bring up the Lechon (pig) suggestion...THAT will win the barangay.

Don't forget to leave your shoes/sandals outside the door (even if they insist it is okay), wear your shirt at all times (yea, I know...everybody else will have theirs off, but you are making first impressions), pay particular attention to the older ladies (they eat this up & greatly influence the rest of the family), & basically enjoy yourself like you would as a guest at an American home.

Hope all goes well. :as-if:

freeheeler

So, I was on the phone tonight with her when I got home from work and the latest Balikbayan Box i had sent had arrived a couple of days ago. I asked her had she eaten any of the candies I had sent her and she said she had but she had not opened a packet of sweets I had sent her because they were called 'wine gums and she was afraid of getting drunk. This totally cracked me up and I told her they were OK to eat. The different colors were named after a color of wine, claret port etc etc.

Innocence is a wonderful thing to have sometimes

post-107-1165653946_thumb.jpg

CaptainJackson
I had a practice session at packing my cases to see what I could fit in. I looked at all the stuff I had in there clothes, shoes, cameras, camcorders, clothes for every possible occassion and I started to feel bad about bringing it all and wondering how it would make them feel.

Free,

Another suggestion. Don't be overwhelmed by how much stuff you are bringing. Take you toiletries and a few shirts and one pair of long pants (slacks) and a couple pair of shorts. And your camera equipment. (You can buy anything you need very inexpesivly over there). Fill you luggage with things for the family.

When it is time to leave you will experience something westerners probably have not been exposed to. They (the family and neighbors and cousins, etc) may ask you if they can have your shoes, or sneakers, or shirts........ You will probably come home with far less material things than you went with. But you will bring home enough memories to write a book.

One thing I did, I kept a journal for the 10 days I was there. (maybe one day I will post it in the off topic section)

Man, I wish I knew of this forum before I went.

Again, have a safe trip, and I know you will have the experience of a lifetime.

freeheeler
Free,

Another suggestion. Don't be overwhelmed by how much stuff you are bringing. Take you toiletries and a few shirts and one pair of long pants (slacks) and a couple pair of shorts. And your camera equipment. (You can buy anything you need very inexpesivly over there). Fill you luggage with things for the family.

When it is time to leave you will experience something westerners probably have not been exposed to. They (the family and neighbors and cousins, etc) may ask you if they can have your shoes, or sneakers, or shirts........ You will probably come home with far less material things than you went with. But you will bring home enough memories to write a book.

One thing I did, I kept a journal for the 10 days I was there. (maybe one day I will post it in the off topic section)

Man, I wish I knew of this forum before I went.

Again, have a safe trip, and I know you will have the experience of a lifetime.

Very helpful, thanks for all that. Kinda reminds me when I went to Bulgaria back in the early 80's on a ski vacation, it was still communist and the workers there were begging us for our named ski products. I think I came home with 3 plain t shirts and my underwear. No skis, no boots. no jumpers. Anything with a name on it was given away

As I said earlier I've ordered a load of T shirts, all sizes to give out and the m&ms will be bought later. The father may want my gillette 5 blade so i have a spare one just in case

One thing I will be bringing over with me is a potato masher. I mean, if she wants to marry this Belfast guy she will have to be able to cook perfect mashed potatoes.

post-107-1165716629.jpg

Paul

Free, she may end up chasing you around the house with that thing! LOL