Sign in to follow this  
PiRider

Motorcycle Adventures Philippines

PiRider

Coolest dirt bike ever made, 100hp to the rear wheel, WAY to much power for the Philippines, it will take you to the scene of the accident quickly! but still cool

KTM950se.jpg

Jay

Damm, I miss motorcycling! I used to have small Honda dual-use bikes back in my teens, and for a few weeks owned a Kawasaki 500 Mach III street bike (swapped a Corvair van for it then sold the bike).

I've been dreaming about maybe getting one here but I'm a bit iffy about my poor peripheral vision nowadays. I think if I was real careful I might be OK. I was thinking about the Loncins- they seem to be heavier-duty than the typical u-bone small bikes and would be more comfortable on a longer cruise but still small enough for around town. I'm not sure if 150cc would have enough guts to haul both Karen and me plus a week's groceries though. Don't they also make a 250cc v-twin?

Doc Smith

Jay, the Loncin 150cc is a good enough bike for around Cebu and you'll find its not a hard bike to get around in. Its good on the gas too! They are cheap, but typically last long enough to consider as a great deal. It would haul you, your wife, groceries and more. With your eye sight, I would recommend not riding during and after dusk. The oncoming head lights would blind you.

hey joe

I would not ride a motorcycle of any size in Cebu City or any of the surrounding areas just because of the damn exhaust fumes that a person has to breathe all of the time in congested and slow moving traffic. The Coastal Highway is alright, but there are not many other places where you can ride and not have to suck in the fumes from the vehicle exhaust pipes. I agree with an earlier post that the island of Negros Oriental and Negros Occidental is a good place to ride, but my favorite island to ride on is Bohol. Once you get outside of Tagbilaran City, the highways are good and the traffic is light (to say nothing of the great scenery and the great feeling of riding on roads with usually no more traffic than many places in the rural United States).

PiRider

Joe , all islands including Cebu, are just like Bohol. You just have to know the roads to take, for example. If I were going to ride to Malapascua, I would take this route, Beautiful, and one of the best rides in all of PI,

cebutomala.jpg

Turbota

I have an 04 Harley 1200 Sportster over here. As much as I love bike riding, I have really gottin "gun shy" of riding it anymore. In fact, within the last year, I have been on the bike maybe a total of 3 times.

I don't want to sell it, but I really have lost the joy of riding it, which is sad.

Besides the horrible traffic, constant road obstacles, and the ever changing road surface conditions, I just don't feel safe on the bike anymore. I also worry about breaking down somewhere with absolutly zero availability of Harley Davidson parts.

I feel so much safer in the car ... At age 60, I don't much care for road-rash either. The older you get, the more a fall hurts.

IMG_0365-1.jpg

rbm

Joe , all islands including Cebu, are just like Bohol. You just have to know the roads to take, for example. If I were going to ride to Malapascua, I would take this route, Beautiful, and one of the best rides in all of PI,

cebutomala.jpg

Surprised PI Rider with your comments, I am currently in Bantayan after riding up here from Cebu,I have done the trip a few times. I much prefer the West coast road, crossing over the Nival Hills to Balamban and from there up, less traffic and good scenery. Still I consider it far from the best in the country, for me my favourite area is the provinces around Sorsogon, truly spectacular also around Albay where I go often. Pretty close is central Negros, especially around Canlan Buenos Aires which is amazingly beautiful how ever quite high rain fall.

Would any readers out there know of a motor cycle club based here in cebu, I get a bit tired of doing day trips or longer on my own? At late 50s not into any of the heavy stuff PI Rider does but love getting away on my little serow. Maybe if any like minded people out there interested please get in touch.