Sign in to follow this  
PiRider

Motorcycle Adventures Philippines

MattFromGA

P.I. Rider, your posts about biking are awsome. I wish I could travel to all the places you are going to with your bike (though I wouldn't want to get stuck in that mud pit you show above!). Is it a pain in the ass to get your bike from one island to the next? What does it cost for you to get your bike from Negros to Cebu island? Do you ever have problems with running out of gas between stations with your provincial riding?

PiRider

It happens to everyone, so ware the proper gear and ride away. This was a spill a friend of mine took in Mindanao, I noticed where a grader had made so many passes over this dirt road that they exposed the marble rock, it had polished over, and since it was wet was slippery as snot on a door knob, I warned the guy behind me who in turn warned him, but he still went down, Look at what stopped him from a 30 foot drop into the ocean!!!

Crashj.jpg

PiRider
P.I. Rider, your posts about biking are awesome. I wish I could travel to all the places you are going to with your bike (though I wouldn't want to get stuck in that mud pit you show above!). Is it a pain in the ass to get your bike from one island to the next? What does it cost for you to get your bike from Negros to Cebu island? Do you ever have problems with running out of gas between stations with your provincial riding?

Traveling from island to island is easy, the only headache is the ferry schedules change all the time, so some times I get stuck waiting, but not from Dumaguete to Cebu, Its only 250P for bike and rider and they go almost on the hour. Without exception there is always a beautiful Pinay to chat with on the longer ferry crossings. All the major ports have RO-RO ferries . for those of you not familiar its a roll on - roll off, so its real quick to load and go. It

Edited by PiRider

Chaz
I had a Loncin as my first bike here in Cebu. I paid 42k pesos for it at the time, though I know they are cheaper now. It was a reliable bike and a good bike to cruise around town in. I gave the bike to my father in law when I bought a Yamaha Virago and V-Mmax. While the Yamahas are definately faster, they also eat gas in comparison to the Loncin. The Loncin was getting about 76 miles to the gallon when I was keeping track of it. It was also more reliable than the Yamahas, which seem to be high maintenance bikes.

The only down side to the Loncin was the crap I took from other expats who would bust my balls for riding a Chinese bike. The V-Max is very powerful and blows the doors off of the Loncin in performance, but it is a hard ride for long distance. The Loncin you have (which is exactly the same as the one I had) is an "easy rider" and is definately a good bike to ride from the top to bottom of Cebu Island. The V-Max is tough on my knees and arms for long distance driving. My Virago is an easy rider and is more acceptable for long distance, but it doesnt even get half the gas millage tthat the loncin dnoes.

My only small minor complaint about the Loncin is that when you are traveling at good speeds the vibration is a bit high on the handle bars

giving me pins and needles in my hands every now and again, so on longer journeys I need to stop every so often till it wears off. But that's more than

compensated by the low running costs, its done over 20,000 km now, I recently replaced the drive chain and both sprockets, total

cost was only 1,200 pesos.

Edited by Chaz

DeezNuz

Hmmm...don't know how well the Harley would do on Mountain type roads, it's only got 1 inch of travel on the rear suspension.

Gixxer would never work...I would go crazy if I weren't able to bring it over 80mph. Plus the fact that after an hours worth of riding my knees would fail.

PiRider

John Flores is a friend and Motorcycle Photo journalist, Born in Philippines raised in America. Here is a pictorial of a ride the three of us took! enjoy, Hint click on the center Icon for captions! A story of our ride was featured in Road Runner Magazine last year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmflores/s...ith/2319924611/

PiRider

Rob, you would be supprised how some of my friends get around on their Harleys and rockets, I think their nuts, and they think I am nuts. so were even!

ROCO22

I truly love motorcycling in the Islands.

Typically rent a small 125cc, 200cc or use one of the family bikes and go exploring.

Presently we only visit once a year 30-40 days each visit.

The plan is to extend our stays up to 6 months a year.

So far we have circumnavigated Bohol, Panglao & Siargao. Explored the Caraga region from Butuan to Surigao City.

Our bike here (USA) is much larger (1200GS) but we have a blast exploring the PI on small bikes, one area at at time.

560028219_73Srd-Ti.jpg

Lots of this action, hurry up and wait...

232923518_zzJD2-M.jpg

As for now, we will be visiting the Blue Ridge Pkwy after Labor Day, love those hills...

508584044_c5SbV-M.jpg

All-Or-Nothing

Roads around here are pretty good but after riding and driving in this traffic I won't be bringing the bike over.

lin
I truly love motorcycling in the Islands.

Typically rent a small 125cc, 200cc or use one of the family bikes and go exploring.

Presently we only visit once a year 30-40 days each visit.

The plan is to extend our stays up to 6 months a year.

So far we have circumnavigated Bohol, Panglao & Siargao. Explored the Caraga region from Butuan to Surigao City.

Our bike here (USA) is much larger (1200GS) but we have a blast exploring the PI on small bikes, one area at at time.

560028219_73Srd-Ti.jpg

Lots of this action, hurry up and wait...

232923518_zzJD2-M.jpg

As for now, we will be visiting the Blue Ridge Pkwy after Labor Day, love those hills...

508584044_c5SbV-M.jpg

Yes, Philippines is a motorcycling dream. I only visit 6 weeks every year, but we have done Negros several times, Siquijor, Panay, Boracay (once, never go back) Cebu, Leyte, Bohol, parts of Mindanao, Bilaran, Biri Is, Southern Luzon, Camarines del Sur, Masbate and Samar twice. Riding right around Samar is a favorite, the ride around the northern coast involves some pumpboat transport due to lack of roads and pockets of unsociable locals, some of the roads are just mountain trails but there are some real gems to be discovered. There is great scenery, wonderful natural attractions, a few excellent roads and some unexpectedly comfortable little pensions.

lin

Here's a pic of something we came across on the west coast of Panay a while back. Note the ding the motorcyclist's head made just below the wiper piviot before he went through the front. The bus took the corner on the wrong side trying to pass a tricycle and collected an oncoming local on his Wave.

post-5144-1252031277_thumb.jpg

Edited by lin

PiRider

A famous Dakar rider,, notice the lack of safety gear!

Petecrash.jpg

Edited by PiRider

PiRider

Ok last picture for this week I am off on another Moto Adventure, Jungle Rules, looking for lost waterfalls on Bohol!

klrjunglerunning.jpg

PiRider

KLRbeach

klrbeach.jpg

KLXSUNSET

klxsunset.jpg

PiRider

MT. Pinatubo's crater, who said you cant ride a bike to here?

pinatubocraterweblarge.jpg

Pinatubu super highway

Pinatubohighway.jpg

Wheeling down Pinatubos SuperHighway

bryanarnoldmono1-1.jpg

Pinatubos lhars

pinatubocliff.jpg

Monkey butt

IMG_13641.jpg

OH SHIT

OHshit.jpg

Road Hog!