Sign in to follow this  
PiRider

Motorcycle Adventures Philippines

PiRider

After riding the world over on two wheels, I have concluded the Philippines is the Motorcycle Adventure capital of the World. No fences, no speed limits, trails to evey corner of any island, if you dare to venture.

If you see me on the road or trail, feel free to Stop, Join in, or ride along!

Post any of your adventures, pictures or stories here, and for you who just enjoy the Posts and Pictures feel free to comment!

To kick it off here's some of my adventures.

Ride-on, Bryan

Niludhan falls, Negros Island, 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650

KLRNiludhanfallsNegros.jpg

Tamaraw Falls, Mindoro Island, 2008 Kawasaki KLX 450R

klx2fallsmindoro.jpg

DOA, Dead, 2002 XR200 somwhere in Negros

Picture028.jpg

Stucked, the locals call it stucked, 2004 KX125 Kawasaki

DSC01899.jpg

Two Kings, Kennon Hyw , to Baguio 2008 KTM Superenduro R

twotigers4u.jpg

The big tree, Canloan, Negros Is,

P1310744-1.jpg

Water proof, Dam broke near Mambusao Panay island 208 Kawasaki KLR650

flood.jpg

Edited by PiRider

DeezNuz

Last year...my motorcycles finally came in on my container. Did a little maintenance on both bikes.

Took the Gixxer 1100 out on SRP heading towards Talisay. Goosed the throttle and brought it up to around 100mph...hit a depression in the road and launched the bike about 1-2 feet in the air (felt more like 20 feet). Both wheels touched...I'm still on the bike...trembling like a virgin. Bike has been sitting in my garage ever since. Cebu roads suck!

The following week, jumped on the FLHRSI for a quick drive up through Lahug with Talamban as the destination. Was a Saturday morning. A few kilometers past Marco Polo I make my way around a blind curve (on my side of the road) and was staring directly into the grill of a big truck. Swerved out of the way just in time. Turned back around and now only ride the bike back and forth to the office (1000 meters away) and to Mactan occasionally.

Man I miss SoCal.

easy44
Last year...my motorcycles finally came in on my container. Did a little maintenance on both bikes.

Took the Gixxer 1100 out on SRP heading towards Talisay. Goosed the throttle and brought it up to around 100mph...hit a depression in the road and launched the bike about 1-2 feet in the air (felt more like 20 feet). Both wheels touched...I'm still on the bike...trembling like a virgin. Bike has been sitting in my garage ever since. Cebu roads suck!

The following week, jumped on the FLHRSI for a quick drive up through Lahug with Talamban as the destination. Was a Saturday morning. A few kilometers past Marco Polo I make my way around a blind curve (on my side of the road) and was staring directly into the grill of a big truck. Swerved out of the way just in time. Turned back around and now only ride the bike back and forth to the office (1000 meters away) and to Mactan occasionally.

Man I miss SoCal.

Don't give up so easy. It's really not that bad once you get used to it!

MattFromGA

I have a Yamaha V-Max 1200. The thing is a rocket, and these roads of Cebu are no meant for such a ride. I notice that P.I. Rider is always on dirt bikes, and thats a totally different experience. The big bikes are ok, but there are suprises at every turn just waiting to put you in your grave if you're going too fast. You have to not only watch the road you're going to be driving on, but side action. Everything is out to get in your way. If its not the dog it is the tricicad. If not that, its the idiots that cross the street without even looking. Its the pig that got loose and is about to jump out from behind the parked car. You never know, so slow down and keep it basic.

This isnt the 4 lane super highway in the USA.

PiRider

If I road again in California, I would be put in jail.

"What do you mean officer I can

DeezNuz

Actually...I'm not scared of riding.

Cebu is.... too damn small, packed with too much damn traffic, congested with too many damn people that don't know how to drive and have paved roads that are no damn better than dirt...so I see no way for me to really enjoy the bikes.

lin

Cebu is.... too damn small, packed with too much damn traffic, congested with too many damn people that don't know how to drive and have paved roads that are no damn better than dirt...so I see no way for me to really enjoy the bikes.

BigRob if you could get one of your big bikes over to Negros you would really enjoy some good roads. Apart from central Dumaguete, there are many excellent highways, Dumaguete to Bacalod is a great ride over the mountains and there are some great curves, wonderful scenery. Also, more recently parts of Samar have been upgraded and there are some excellent rides to be had.

Riding in the Philippines requires you to have your eyes open, as MattFrom GA says. Dogs, pigs, people, and carabou turds are all in the mix. Passing tricycles, jeepneys and especially heavy trucks (size matters) can be life-threatening. Once or twice I have tried to pass a truck on the highway and the driver deliberately tried to run me off the road. Truck passing is better done by stealth; approach in his blind spot, drop down a gear or two and rip by before his alcohol affected mind knows you are there. For dogs and people I fitted a bigger electric horn to my bike, sounds like an approaching car. Dogs are responsible for many damaged riders. Assume every local about to cross in front of you is blind and deaf. And never whistle into a blind curve expecting not to come across a truck parked in the middle of the road with a flat.

Joe Kano

Cebu is... too damn small, packed with too much damn traffic, congested with too many damn people that don't know how to drive and have paved roads that are no damn better than dirt...so I see no way for me to really enjoy the bikes.

I agree with BigRob. Cebu is just too damn crowded and chaotic for anything bigger than a 250cc dual sport bike. Here in Washington State, I ride my Honda Superhawk VTR1000F on scenic, twisty, smooth, back country roads where the only thing to watch out for are cops and the occasional deer. I ride with full body protection - the type that would be WAY too hot and sticky to wear in the Philippines.

I'd never ride my Superhawk in the Philippines, not even on the main "highways" between the larger cities. The tricycads, stray dogs and people are scarcer along those roads, but there are still the busses, jeepneys and the shitty road conditions to contend with. What if you go down out in the middle of nowhere and end up in some local doctor's office with no way to be transported to a major hospital?

Just ask Billy to tell you about his wreck.

PiRider

When you get out of cities the roads are extremely void of traffic! And great to rail. This is the west coat of Panay Island, gateway to Boracay. I call it the PCH (pacific coast highway) of Philippines, its that good!

mikerails.jpg

littletraffic2.jpg

littletraffic.jpg

Edited by PiRider

lin
I agree with BigRob. Cebu is just too damn crowded and chaotic for anything bigger than a 250cc dual sport bike. Here in Washington State, I ride my Honda Superhawk VTR1000F on scenic, twisty, smooth, back country roads where the only thing to watch out for are cops and the occasional deer. I ride with full body protection - the type that would be WAY too hot and sticky to wear in the Philippines.

I'd never ride my Superhawk in the Philippines, not even on the main "highways" between the larger cities. The tricycads, stray dogs and people are scarcer along those roads, but there are still the busses, jeepneys and the shitty road conditions to contend with. What if you go down out in the middle of nowhere and end up in some local doctor's office with no way to be transported to a major hospital?

Just ask Billy to tell you about his wreck.

Yeah, the VTR is gonna not suit most of the conditions found in the Philippines. Even good highways don't approach what is common in many parts of the US. Smaller dual sport and trail-type bikes are probably better suited. Especially when island-hopping, I just can't see the porters lifting a VTR onto a pump boat... :wink:;)

easy44

I agree with the others who say there is good riding to be had here. Leyte is a wonderful place to ride with good roads, great scenery and little traffic. Even Cebu can be enjoyable once you get out of the city. I just joined a group of mixed foreigners and Filipinos. Last Monday we rode up to Bogo then back down and across to Tabuelan to Balamban and then across the Trans Central to Cebu City. Once you get past Danao the road opens up and you can relax a little and enjoy. We make frequent stops for food and drinks and don't push it too hard. It was good fun!

Chaz
After riding the world over on two wheels, I have concluded the Philippines is the Motorcycle Adventure capital of the World. No fences, no speed limits, trails to evey corner of any island, if you dare to venture.

If you see me on the road or trail, feel free to Stop, Join in, or ride along!

Post any of your adventures, pictures or stories here, and for you who just enjoy the Posts and Pictures feel free to comment!

To kick it off here's some of my adventures.

Ride-on, Bryan

Good subject for a posting Bryan and some stunning pictures.

I'm a motorcycle enthusiast, returned to motorcycles after leaving them in the 1970's, but I'm afraid

my motorcycling is much more modest, I have a Chinese Loncin 150 cruiser, despite all the critics of

Chinese bikes I have had few problems with my Loncin, it starts every time and being the standard

Philippine Police motorcycle parts are easy to get and repairs dirt cheap. While its a road not a dirt

bike it still handles the rough mountain roads here OK.

I get allot of pleasure from riding my Loncin on the country roads in Cebu at a slow pace observing

what I see and taking photo's where its practical.

My uncle (long dead now) was a great motorcycle enthusiast, he had a collection of classic old

bikes that included a legendary Vincent.

post-4956-1251941700_thumb.jpg

PiRider

Jumping my friends, I have a few left

DSC_0712.jpg

Finnish line jump Puerto Princessa, Palawan Island 2008 Asian Motorcross championships

jump2.jpg

PiRider

Highest point on the Philippine national hiway system. Cordillera Mountain Province, luzon 2008 KTM 950 Superenduro

highestpoint1.jpg

Cordillera Mountain Province, luzon 2008 KTM 950 Superenduro

cordilleraLuzon.jpg

MattFromGA
I have a Chinese Loncin 150 cruiser, despite all the critics of Chinese bikes I have had few problems with my Loncin, it starts every time

I had a Loncin as my first bike here in Cebu. I paid 42k pesos for it at the time, though I know they are cheaper now. It was a reliable bike and a good bike to cruise around town in. I gave the bike to my father in law when I bought a Yamaha Virago and V-Mmax. While the Yamahas are definately faster, they also eat gas in comparison to the Loncin. The Loncin was getting about 76 miles to the gallon when I was keeping track of it. It was also more reliable than the Yamahas, which seem to be high maintenance bikes.

The only down side to the Loncin was the crap I took from other expats who would bust my balls for riding a Chinese bike. The V-Max is very powerful and blows the doors off of the Loncin in performance, but it is a hard ride for long distance. The Loncin you have (which is exactly the same as the one I had) is an "easy rider" and is definately a good bike to ride from the top to bottom of Cebu Island. The V-Max is tough on my knees and arms for long distance driving. My Virago is an easy rider and is more acceptable for long distance, but it doesnt even get half the gas millage that the loncin does.