Sign in to follow this  
tradjazz

domestic flight advice

tradjazz

Thanks guys- my attempt to book Phillipine Air was also unsuccessful- "your intinerary is cancelled"

I was using my debit card too-which is a lot more secure than a credit card as the money is there

A plague on both their airlines-I'll take the ferry from Manila---

Thanks anyway!!!! Ted

udonthani

if you want you can just overnight somewhere close, or camp out for a few hours as suggested earlier and just get a flight in the morning, paying cash for a flight. There's loads of them all day long. You might get to Cebu by 10am easily. You'll pay a bit more than you would have if you had got it online.

wannabe

Yea I am taking that Hawaiian Air flight in Oct. I was able to get a PAL flight booked no problem online...I would still try to shoot for PAL...I think they still use the terminal closer to the international terminal and not on the other side in Manila but not sure...I heard they were moving.

yup I have heard too many flightmares with Cebu P. I am not gonna chance it!

JohnFromTexas

I'm in a similar circumstance... sounds like we're going around the same time but I'll be on continental to Manila, getting in late at night and am going to stay somewhere and fly to cebu the next morning. Think I'm going to go with PAL based on this thread -- did have one question though:

Is it worth upgrading to business class for the short trip to cebu? Looks like economy class is around $40 or so to cebu and business is $115-140 (about what a flight of that distance would cost here in the USA for economy class). For such a short trip is it even worth it? I'm not sure what the airlines there are like to know whether it is worth the extra cost.

bikerdave

I wouldnt bother the flight is about 45 min. By the time you get up in the air its time to come down. Save your cash for something else like upgrading your room where you will spend more time

tradjazz

Glad Wannabe was able to use the online service with Phil Air. They wouldn't accept my reservation.

I arrive late afternoon, hate sleeping on a park bench and waiting 12 hours for the first flight out to Cebu. The cops close down the domestic terminal at night and chase everyone out. absolutely nothing seems open near there, and you can't go far if you have luggage! I've done this in past trips----

I can see why tourism in the RP has tanked!!!!

Ted

udonthani

tourism in the Philippines has never had anything to tank down from. There's never been any tourist industry worth mentioning in the first place.

just stay at the Townhouse and head out to the airport at 6am next day. Buy a ticket at the airport and you'll be in Cebu by about 10am.

Markham
Is it worth upgrading to business class for the short trip to cebu? Looks like economy class is around $40 or so to cebu and business is $115-140 (about what a flight of that distance would cost here in the USA for economy class). For such a short trip is it even worth it? I'm not sure what the airlines there are like to know whether it is worth the extra cost.

The advantages of PAL Business Class are:

• No lengthy check-in queue - there are dedicated desks for Mabuhay Class (ie Business Class)
  • You'll be allowed 30 Kgs of checked baggage instead of 20 Kgs. This may be an advantage for you as the US has a "piece system" (2 bags, any weight). The rate for excess baggage is PHP120/Kg on that route should you decide not to travel Mabuhay.
  • Baggage will be prioritized meaning it should be unloaded before Economy Class.
  • There's a Business Class lounge with free coffee and soft drinks as well as hot and cold snacks. Wifi is also available in this lounge.
  • You will get a (normally hot) meal after take-off - Economy Class gets a snack.

Whichever class you choose, it is worth making a reservation on one of the four daily flights which use 747-400 aircraft (shown as "EQV" on PAL's timetable). The leg-room in Economy is greater than on the Airbus fleet.

udonthani

these flights are short, sometimes ridiculously so. The PAL Tacloban-Cebu flight is in the air for 10 minutes. Anybody that would get business class for that needs their head examining.

JohnFromTexas

Markham, you must not have travelled much in the USA lately. Most airlines have no bag allowances now other than carry on. And even those that have a 1 bag allowance still (i don't know of any airlines that allow 2 anymore used to be that way up to a few years back) there is a weight limit over which they will charge (usually around 50lbs I think).

I am planning on shipping most everything to my fiance's place in advance of my being there so i will probably only have a carryon bag for a day or two's worth of clothes and necessities.

I was thinking first class probably wasn't necessary for such a short flight, but wasn't sure if flying in the RP is like some south american airlines where economy class is basically standing room only, super crowded, etc :unsure: Sounds like it is fairly standard airline fare -- I'll go economy and save the money for a hotel that night in manila.

samatm
Markham, you must not have travelled much in the USA lately. Most airlines have no bag allowances now other than carry on. And even those that have a 1 bag allowance still (i don't know of any airlines that allow 2 anymore used to be that way up to a few years back) there is a weight limit over which they will charge (usually around 50lbs I think).

I am planning on shipping most everything to my fiance's place in advance of my being there so i will probably only have a carryon bag for a day or two's worth of clothes and necessities.

I was thinking first class probably wasn't necessary for such a short flight, but wasn't sure if flying in the RP is like some south american airlines where economy class is basically standing room only, super crowded, etc :huh: Sounds like it is fairly standard airline fare -- I'll go economy and save the money for a hotel that night in manila.

Check wiht Continental.. I don't think you have to pay a 2nd bag fee for travel to Manila. I flew the flight b4 and was allowed two 50 lbs bags (boxes).

YOu can call Cebu Pacific... here the number is 63 32 230 8888 and purchase the tix with your credit card.. as long as the flight is more than 2 days out. Beats sleeping at the airport. Also if you are stuck at the airport.. sleep in hotel resverns office.

Do not sleep at the Townhse.. its gross... the airport benches are better.

Ceb Pac's...low fares fly low !

post-3344-1252066471_thumb.jpg

Edited by samatm

Markham

You're right, I haven't flown within continental USA for several years. Whilst it may not now be used for domestic flights, the so-called "piece system" is still used on international flights to and from the US - certainly this is true for flights between the US and Europe. Check with your trans-Pacific carrier, you may be pleasantly surprised!

venezia
Hey Listers-

I'm due into Manila at 5:30 PM from the US. In the past I have always flown Cathy Pacific and gotten in at midnight, waited till morning to find a flight to Cebu. This time I got a fare deal with Hawaiian Air, but will arrive at 5:30 PM on Sept 8.

The last Cebu Pacific flight out of Manila to Cebu leaves at 8:40 (20:40) Will there be enough time to get baggage (I travel light) wait for the shuttle bus to take me to the domestic airport and still arrive 45 minutes before flight time as required by Cebu Pacific?? Anyone tried this time allotment?

I will have about 2 hours and 40 minutes to reach the Cebu Pacific counter 45 minutes before flight time-----

What say you?? is it doable?? or should I grab a taxi to the domestic airport?

Ted

I guess that time would be sufficient but you should take an airport taxi for your transfer, costs approx. 150 pesos and you would be more comfortable than in a shuttle bus, IMO.