Sign in to follow this  
tradjazz

domestic flight advice

tradjazz

Hey Listers-

I'm due into Manila at 5:30 PM from the US. In the past I have always flown Cathy Pacific and gotten in at midnight, waited till morning to find a flight to Cebu. This time I got a fare deal with Hawaiian Air, but will arrive at 5:30 PM on Sept 8.

The last Cebu Pacific flight out of Manila to Cebu leaves at 8:40 (20:40) Will there be enough time to get baggage (I travel light) wait for the shuttle bus to take me to the domestic airport and still arrive 45 minutes before flight time as required by Cebu Pacific?? Anyone tried this time allotment?

I will have about 2 hours and 40 minutes to reach the Cebu Pacific counter 45 minutes before flight time-----

What say you?? is it doable?? or should I grab a taxi to the domestic airport?

Ted

hoz

As long as the first flight arrives on time you should be able to make it. If not, maybe the gate can call over to Cebu Pacific and alert them you are enroute.

Worst case you miss the flight and have to stay the night.

ayala
As long as the first flight arrives on time you should be able to make it. If not, maybe the gate can call over to Cebu Pacific and alert them you are enroute.

Worst case you miss the flight and have to stay the night.

Its good to get there 45 minutes in advance but you will still get on the flight even if you are 10-20 minutes early,sometimes even less.

Edited by ayala

Inday_Susan

Just a word of advice...I heard of so many bad things in Trip Advisor Cebu Forum about Cebu Pacific. They are not very good at giving refunds when you cancel or miss your flight. Double check through their website if the ticket you are buying can be rebooked if you miss your flight. Rebooking may cost a fee. Because of the bad rap about Cebu Pacific I am taking PAL I think it is only $2 difference in fare.

It may take you longer to get out of the International Airport if you have a checked-in baggage because of so many flights arriving in Manila. Manila International airport is one of the busiest in the world. If you got carry on baggage your plans may work, but I will not guarantee because you also need to consider the traffic to and from the airports.

aka

I wouldn't say Manila Airport is one of the busiest in the world. It doesn't make the top 30 in passenger numbers.

Tradjazz, you should make it quite comfortably. I just flew into Manila recently and only had a 2 hour turnaround. Terminal 3 isn't that far from the other terminals.

Inday_Susan
I wouldn't say Manila Airport is one of the busiest in the world. It doesn't make the top 30 in passenger numbers.

Tradjazz, you should make it quite comfortably. I just flew into Manila recently and only had a 2 hour turnaround. Terminal 3 isn't that far from the other terminals.

Thanks for the correction, I didn't say top 30 busiest, and I shouldn't have said 'in the world' just one of the busiest. My experience is that when you travel close to Christmas, ie. Nov till Jan, Manila airport is very busy because of the balikbayan or Pinoy overseas workers. Of course, you would have travelled in low season and probably haven't experience the mayhem. My trip to San Francisco and Hongkong, that was in December not so long ago, wasn't as bad as Manila. These 2 are among 'the busiest airports in the world', but I think because their airport and customs staff are efficient it is quicker to get out of these airports.

Someone posts in this forum said that 'for as long as you don't expect people to turn up on time you will be alright'. Based on my experience in living in the country for 37 years that applies to everything. May be it is just me, but I don't like being late or rushed so I will give it plenty of time to transfer to another airport.

Good luck ted with your trip and I hope everything works out.

trthebees

Some thoughts on the transfer and cebpac.

I've done this domestic-international transfer several times, and I'll be doing it again in September.

The shuttle bus is generally ok, though I've found it does tend to wait until it's full. And drops at the other terminal first. But I guess they know what they're doing, as they ask the time of your cebpac flight. If you feel a bit twitchy, get a taxi straightaway. I've found that the taxis have improved a lot, and are very fair on the meters. Also, there is the taxi queue, or the airport taxi car arrangement, which can be quicker and at little extra cost. But again, if time is likely to be short, be prepared in advance with some pesos, rather than spending extra minutes finding a cash machine or exchange at Manila.

Some flights don't have the BoI forms on board, so I always have a pen handy to fill this in at immigration.

I've found that immigration is efficient, and reasonably quick. Quicker than Cebu Int. Just get the forms done fast.

My transfer time was once as short as one hour due to a delay in the international leg, though luckily that time I only had cabin baggage. I got a taxi, and still had time for a coffee and fag at the cafe at cebpac. Maybe I was lucky.

I've used cebpac lots of times, on transfers or domestic travel. I've always found them efficient.

They'll play musical queues at the check-in if they need to process passengers quicker. Worth being aware of attendants directing half a queue to another counter, but it gets me to that cafe with time to spare!

Jim Sibbick
Just a word of advice...I heard of so many bad things in Trip Advisor Cebu Forum about Cebu Pacific. They are not very good at giving refunds when you cancel or miss your flight. Double check through their website if the ticket you are buying can be rebooked if you miss your flight. Rebooking may cost a fee. Because of the bad rap about Cebu Pacific I am taking PAL I think it is only $2 difference in fare.

It may take you longer to get out of the International Airport if you have a checked-in baggage because of so many flights arriving in Manila. Manila International airport is one of the busiest in the world. If you got carry on baggage your plans may work, but I will not guarantee because you also need to consider the traffic to and from the airports.

I have read the complaints on Trip Advisor about Cebu Pacific. ALL the complaints not related to refunds relate to flights to places other than Cebu/Manila. The Manila Cebu route is the premier route in the Philippines and they don't have the same problems on that route that they have on other routes. My personal experience has always been that Cebu Pacific arrive close to the time they say they will even if they depart slightly late. By the way, my experience isn't just one or two flights. It is from so many flights that I have lost count. My last flight being two weeks ago. The last flight, the plane started moving exactly at the announced departure time and arrived in Cebu 5 minutes early.

In regard, to refunds, make sure you pay for your flight with a credit card, if you are worried about refunds. Credit card companies will have your money back to you in about a month.

For the original poster, I waited 2 hours for the shuttle one time, I will never trust the shuttle again.

My suggestion is you wait a short time for the shuttle then if it does not show, jump in a taxi.

Regards: Jim

udonthani

absolute no-brainer. Take a taxi.

Like other Asian budget carriers, Cebu Pacific are a point-to-point airline. That means if you miss your flight, they won't just put you on another one like somebody like Lufthansa or Emirates would. You will have to buy a new flight.

and if you get there less than forty-five minutes before check in time, regardless of whether the plane is delayed or not, they won't let you board. It's all there, together with their refund policy and everything else, in the Cebu Pacific terms and conditions. If you don't like those terms and conditions, and think that they don't measure up to what other carriers offer, then obviously fly with some other carrier instead.

tradjazz

Thanks posters!!! I feel better already- I usually wait for the shuttle, but it often takes forever to come, and then seems to tour the city! I will take a taxi if the shuttle does not come soon after I clear customs. Believe I can get everything into the overhead rack on Hawaiian and this will save me having to visit the baggage collect area.

I have slept (!!) on benches more than once while waiting for an early morning flight at domestic. Not the most pleasant experience-----

Should be at the Shamrock Pension in Cebu before midnight!!!! I hope!!!!!

Thanks so much once again-hope to see some of you while spending few days in Cebu before heading south to Dipolog----

Ted

samatm

A> Im just curious if you are flying Cathay Pacific..why just don't get a HKG - CEB direct flight instead of thru Manila. Could you please shed some light there?

B. Take a taxi...Good grief.. you might save 3 USD by taking the shuttle.

C. Ceb Pacific .. will not allow you on the flight if you are late to check in... I know I missed a flight by getting to the gate 15 mins late (30 mins bfore the flight) . They are very strict on closing flights...

D. Any changes to your ticket if less than two days out..you will pay considerable penaltys and fare differance fees to rebook .I know from several instances of changing my flight time, including my most recent ticket change today! ARRRGh.... (they wouldnt accept an international Credit Card over the phone so I had to go to a CEB pac office and wait an hour to pay for my new tix.)

In over 10 flights with Cebu Pacific in the past two months... the flight has nver been delayed.. more often than not it has arrived ahead of time.

E. If you ever have to sleep at Manila Domestic 2.. sleep in the Hotel reservations office on the ground floor...has a nice couch ..much better than the benches (i've slept on both) . Thankfully I hvn't had to scout domestic 3 terminal for overnight sleeping arrangements. :shocked:

tradjazz

hi!! I'm flying in on Hawaiian Air. They had a Labor Day special-Cathy didn't. $813 round trip. I'm staying for 8 months in my apartment-

Ted

tradjazz

Ok- so I'm attempting to make a reservation with Cebu Pacific for the flight to Manila. All goes well until it reaches the "seat seletion" option-which I don't need as it costs extra-and they won't garantee I'll sit next to a beautifil filipina-

The process locks up there-and won't move forward. nada-nothing-nein -nyet--non

I have gone back to the beginning several times and repeated the booking process-same problem=won't move past the seat selection option.

Sent an e-mail to Cebu Pacific- no response. So presently I have no reservation-and will have to make one there at a higher price when I arrive, or say the hell with it and take Phil Air or the ferry.

Has anyone else experienced this non working reservation process? Or is it reserved for Americans in the hope of boosting revenue by forcing last minute rerservations?

Kind of a downer-with all their advertising I expected better on line service--- Ted

aka
Ok- so I'm attempting to make a reservation with Cebu Pacific for the flight to Manila. All goes well until it reaches the "seat seletion" option-which I don't need as it costs extra-and they won't garantee I'll sit next to a beautifil filipina-

The process locks up there-and won't move forward. nada-nothing-nein -nyet--non

I have gone back to the beginning several times and repeated the booking process-same problem=won't move past the seat selection option.

Sent an e-mail to Cebu Pacific- no response. So presently I have no reservation-and will have to make one there at a higher price when I arrive, or say the hell with it and take Phil Air or the ferry.

Has anyone else experienced this non working reservation process? Or is it reserved for Americans in the hope of boosting revenue by forcing last minute rerservations?

Kind of a downer-with all their advertising I expected better on line service--- Ted

CP's website is shite. Even if you get to the payment part they probably wont accept your credit card anyway. If you have a gf/fiance/wife here just get her to book it. If not, you can try their reservation hotline. That didn't work for me either. They wouldn't accept my Aussie credit card. I just got my wife to book it for me.

udonthani

forget about using Cebu Pacific's website. Try PAL's instead. I got a flight out of Manila last week that was only about 200 pesos more than Cebu Pacific's would have been had I been able to buy it.