Expat's Fishing Boat Attacked by Philippine Officials

Since you asked about his accent, I understand he lived in Japan for some length of time before coming to the philippines. Prior to that I think it is California. If he is being tried for having a bad accent, then he is guilty as charged

I agree with you about not having enough information to judge the situation. However, that does not seem to be slowing anyone here from coming to conclusions.

Also, from what you are saying verses what I understand about the situation, I would beg to differ that you have heard Randy's side of the story.

Perhaps we can all revisit this topic in three months time and see where the chips have fallen.

T

We don't have nearly enough information about what happened here to judge who's in the right or the wrong. From what I've heard, Randy Stirm was accused of illegally fishing in municipal waters. His response was that he has a proper fishing license. It doesn't seem as if he's actually addressing the specific complaint or complaints against him. What I don't know is whether the waters in question are completely barred from fishing as a breeding ground or something like that or whether they just require a special permit to fish there, whether his boat had just accidentally strayed into those waters once or whether he had fished there on several occasions, or whether there was a history of warnings or fines for his having fished there and if so, whether he'd continued to do so. He appears to be sidestepping this issue.

I also don't know whether, under Philippine fisheries regulations, a court order is required for search and seizure of a commercial vessel (IANAL). If the navy got involved and used deadly force, it sounds like someone may have told them that the boat was used in smuggling: otherwise, why would the navy fire on a fishing boat merely for fishing? It would seem that a fine and/or suspension of the license for illegal fishing would be more appropriate. Also, the crew did technically flee from justice by trying to run away from the navy gunboat, adding obstruction to the charges against them.

There are two sides to every story and all I've heard is Randy's side, thanks to videos of his boat that he made while standing on a pier and complaining that the officials aren't playing fair. In his videos I never heard any shots being fired nor any navy personnel ordering the crew into the water so they could sink the boat, and I never saw any damages to the boat: just a few distant shots of the boat, close-ups of some people on the pier, and Randy's complaining voice. So far we just have his word about what all took place.

He must have done something to piss people off. I wonder what it was? If the fishing co-op is trying to monopolize the local commercial fishery, I wonder why he didn't just join the co-op himself in the first place rather than trying to fish independently? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I suspect that Randy refused to join the co-op for reasons of his own, friction between him and other fishermen was generated, words were spoken adding fuel to the fire, and things started happening.

As an aside, they say he's an American but his accent sounds unlike any American one I've ever heard: perhaps Norwegian? Does anybody know if he's a naturalized American citizen and if so, where he's originally from? Just curious.

Edit: wh00ps, I did it again! Jay here. :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fishfart1

• Jay

• shadow

• retired

2_little_time
AKA

Since we are being so blunt, let me say that your comments here are ridiculous.

By your logic, if someone kills my dog by running it over with his car when he his drunk, I am not supposed to get too upset because it has happened to someone before and it will not be the last dog killed by a drunk driver????????

You know how you remedy that?

Keep your dog off the streets. Unless of course that drunk driver came into your yard

and ran over your dog.

Since you seem to be friends with Randy, why not invite him over to this forum, and have him tell us his side of the story. Seems like that would put all our speculation to rest.

Jess Bartone
AKA

By your logic, if someone kills my dog by running it over with his car when he his drunk, I am not supposed to get too upset because it has happened to someone before and it will not be the last dog killed by a drunk driver????????

And gee, last time I checked, Mindanao is in the philippines, not australia. But I'll keep your information in mind if I am ever fishing in Australia.

Fair go Fishfart, I think he was just trying to say that siezure of equipment is not a precedent. You're getting emotional enough for a sensible person to think that you either have a vested interest, Stirm is your friend, or indeed that you are Stirm. I fail to see any connection between drunk drivers, dead dogs, and Filipino Bureucracy. Your outburst comes across, to me at least, as awfully childish.

Regardless of emotionally charged responses, the full story is yet to emerge. I'm guessing that Stirm is quite likely in the right, both legally and morally, but as you so rightly pointed out, this is Mindanao, not Australia or even America (TS: "The same thing happens in the state where I am from in the United States").

I am also fairly sure that he was not victimised purely for being a foreign national. It's quite likely he ignored a verbal warning (e.g. ...this here town's mine, t'ain't big enough fer the two of us...). It's not legal and it's not fair, but are you willing to face jackboots and M60's to make a point of law... stranger? Get a grip. You'll always be an outsider, and no amount of pissing and moaning is ever gonna change that.

shadow
AKA

And gee, last time I checked, Mindanao is in the philippines, not australia. But I'll keep your information in mind if I am ever fishing in Australia.

T

In Australia if you are caught fishing illegally or are way over your bag limits, your boat, and everything in it, will be confiscated as well as your boat trailer and the car its attached to (if applicable). If you are found guilty you will never see them again. If you are cleared you will get them back. Sounds a lot like this situation. If you take the law into your own hands, more often than not, it will bite you on your ass big time.

Yeah i do feel for the guy a bit, but as the saying goes, "Don't put all your eggs in the one basket". He's not the first guy on this planet to have his livelyhood taken away from him, nor will he be the last. His reaction to this situation is just plain ridiculous.

I think that in most countries if you attempt to elude an officer under any circumstances you may be in for a rough go of it if you are caught. Also the game laws in most countries are similar, if you are caught fishing, hunting, etc. illegally you can expect your gear to be confiscated.

Why should the Philippines be different?

Larry in Dumaguete

lost aussie
Since you asked about his accent, I understand he lived in Japan for some length of time before coming to the philippines. Prior to that I think it is California. If he is being tried for having a bad accent, then he is guilty as charged

I agree with you about not having enough information to judge the situation. However, that does not seem to be slowing anyone here from coming to conclusions.

Also, from what you are saying verses what I understand about the situation, I would beg to differ that you have heard Randy's side of the story.

Perhaps we can all revisit this topic in three months time and see where the chips have fallen.

T

So Fishfart

you have lots of opinions on the subject and some inside information from the sounds of it,what is your relationship with Randy,or are you Randy? :o

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to show how he is acting, and reacting to others in his videos. He definitely hasn't learned much during his time in the Philippines.

shadow
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to show how he is acting, and reacting to others in his videos. He definitely hasn't learned much during his time in the Philippines.

Actually te way fishfart is acting and reacting seems very similar.

Larry in Dumaguete

Jess Bartone
Actually te way fishfart is acting and reacting seems very similar.

Larry in Dumaguete

The way Fishfart attacks anyone who doubts the integrity of this Stirm fellow seems to indicate to me that they are one and the same.

He is that boy in the story who, as he marched down the street in the grand parade, his mother called out "Look! Out of 5,000 people, my son is the only one marching in step".

I suggest you adopt the good grace to apologise for your "mistake", accept the compromise they offered, and go fish somewhere else.

This guy ain't seen trouble, but it's gonna get a hell of a lot worse for him, before it will get better.

Look at how stupid he is in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdew9G0sRX4

It looks like some comments that he didn't like have disappeared.

We may agree or disagree with how he reacted to the situation but one thing for certain, all Expats ( and even the wives) will learn from it.

Larry

You may be right about similiarity of laws. In fact, I understand all the larger boats are supposed to be fishing beyond a 5 km range from shore (however, I doubt anyone else fishing inside this zone has had their boat confiscated and planned for destruction without a court order). Last time I heard the philippine government was modeled after the American system. That is, there is judiciary, executive and legislative branch. It appears to me that in this case the executive branch (mayor's office) was greatly overstepping their authority.

T

I think that in most countries if you attempt to elude an officer under any circumstances you may be in for a rough go of it if you are caught. Also the game laws in most countries are similar, if you are caught fishing, hunting, etc. illegally you can expect your gear to be confiscated.

Why should the Philippines be different?

Larry in Dumaguete

I suspect Randy would post under his own name. I am not him. I am an acquaintance and consider him a friend.

T

So Fishfart

you have lots of opinions on the subject and some inside information from the sounds of it,what is your relationship with Randy,or are you Randy? :blink:

I am primarily addressing the issue of right or wrong in the taking of his boat and livelihood, not his behavior on the pier or in the video.

T

Larry

You may be right about similiarity of laws. In fact, I understand all the larger boats are supposed to be fishing beyond a 5 km range from shore (however, I doubt anyone else fishing inside this zone has had their boat confiscated and planned for destruction without a court order). Last time I heard the philippine government was modeled after the American system. That is, there is judiciary, executive and legislative branch. It appears to me that in this case the executive branch (mayor's office) was greatly overstepping their authority.

T

I can see how you being a friend would mean that you would spring to his defence but you really are defending the indefensible.

IMHO the guy made 3 mistakes; He fished in a prohibited zone, he attempted to run from authorities and most importantly he thought his physical presence and American citizenship would mean he could somehow "overpower" the system. Pretty dumb actions in my opinion.

He, or people purporting to represent him, has said on several occasions that it is his wife who is the owner and skipper of the vessel. A far more prudent course of action would have been for him to keep a very very low profile and to only be involved in the discrete behind the scenes negotiations, and during those negotiations to act in a humble and deferential manner. His current actions are making the whole situation worse.

As a sidenote I find his actions completely at odds with someone who is supposed to have served in a special forces unit and if he did really do so then I would imagine that his former workmates and superiors are cringing and shaking their heads at the moment.

Hope it all ends on a positive note for everyone involved and everyone learns something from the whole thlng

Edited by hagler

Some kind of European accent. Maybe Dutch or Danish. He is quite stubborn and talks over the peoples heads. His argument is "Who owns the sea"? Oh well. The RP government where he was fishing. But I guess this doesn't come to his mind.

./