22" LCD monitor

I don't know the actual model # of my monitor. It's HP and it only says 22W on the front (I'm too lazy to go looking all over the back for a number).

It's easily the best monitor I've ever used personally, and outside those huge apple plasma monitors, it's the best I've seen picture-wise.

I bought it on the spur of the moment, but didn't really fall in love with it until I got it home and plugged up. You know how when you change resolution you have to adjust the image to center it? This monitor, when I changed the resolution popped up with a message - "Centering image" - and did it automatically. It's not a big deal, but that's when I totally fell in love.

I actually lucked into the monitor when I went into a Circuit City going out of business sale (they were literally selling the display shelves). The monitor cost me all of about seventy bucks...

From my own experience, Samsung is one of the best brands on monitors on the market. I'm still using the first LCD I bought, which is a 21" Samsung doing 1600x1200 resolution. I forget exactly when I bought it, but it was around 2003. It survived FedEx shipping to the Philippines too. Still not a single bad pixel, though I do have a dead ant that managed to slip in between the front glass and lcd that i hope dries out and goes away soon.

I had recently bought two gateway 20" wide LCD monitors. Overall they were awesome. The had RCA jacks for direct TV and was a USB hub. I thought it was a great deal at $480 per screen, but one has already gone out (it turns on for about 5 seconds then shuts off). The other still works, but I use it as a TV in the bedroom rather than a screen. The Samsung cost me about $1600 back in the day.

I guess the quality of construction is what has allowed the Samsung to keep on ticking over 6 years later, while the gateway takes a dump after just a year or so. If I had a choice between a Samsung versus Benq, I'd take the Samsung any day, even if it was 4k pesos more.

Whatever one you get, get one that supports a rotating display so that you can easy go from landscape to portrait. Web browsing in portrait mode is the best. Widescreen landscape view is only good for movies and totally sucks for web browsing as 99.9% of all web sites will look like crap super wide or will center their content and then show lots of border to the left/right.

I am another big fan of Samsung Monitors and Flat Panel TVs. They are one of the few manufacturers that currently make their own LCD and Plasma panels. I love all of my Samsung products. I recently bought a pair of cheaper 24" LCD's from a less known and I am unhappy with them, both came with stuck pixels and no warranty against stuck/bright/dead pixels. I will soon be replacing them both with Samsung monitors.

David_LivinginTalisay
It's easily the best monitor I've ever used personally, and outside those huge apple plasma monitors, it's the best I've seen picture-wise.

I bought it on the spur of the moment, but didn't really fall in love with it until I got it home and plugged up. You know how when you change resolution you have to adjust the image to center it? This monitor, when I changed the resolution popped up with a message - "Centering image" - and did it automatically. It's not a big deal, but that's when I totally fell in love.

Don't get too excited by 'Auto Adjustment', I expect many Monotors have such feature these days, and more?

Certainly my Samsung SyncMaster 632NW for Php5,500 has such 'Auto Adjustment' button

(last on right on bottom edge of screen)

When the 'AUTO' button is pressed, the auto adjustment screen appears as shown in the animated screen on the center.

Auto adjustment allows the monitor to self-adjust to the incoming Analog signal. The values of Fine, Coarse and Position are adjusted automatically.

To make the automatic adjustment function sharper, execute the 'AUTO' function while the AUTO PATTERN is on.

If auto adjustment does not work properly, press 'AUTO' button again to adjust picture with more accuracy.

If you change resolution in the control panel, auto function will be executed automatically.

<h2 class="title">MagicBright

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

Apple Cinema Displays are LCD, not Plasma. Apple mostly uses LCD panels from LG. Some Dell models use the exact same LG panel as some Apple models for about half price. :)

• 1 month later...

I hunted around for an LCD monitor in Cebu and just got frustrated with the process. I was interested in something approaching full HD or better with a DVI-D interface. After explaining this to the store people I was usually asked what model I wanted. My reply was I'd like to see the price and specs of monitors under 10,000 pesos. Usually I was pointed toward the nearest monitor that was vaguely close to the specs I wanted, but usually only analog or low resolution. After having to ask which were cheaper/better resolution/DVI-D and constantly hearing the reply this one is 22 inches and this one is 18 inches ect. I just gave up.

It seems you research on the net for models that you like, but when you get to the shop they don't have any of those, and they aren't really sure of the ones that they do have.

I'm used to shopping with every model with a price and spec card, and lists of price/spec comparisons displayed, so the whole thing just became frustrating. Eventually I decided to just bring one over the next time I came.

I don't mean this to sound like moaning, it is just a different kind of shopping to what I'm used to. The shops look really good in SM and Ayala but it is really difficult to make an informed purchase.

I think to attempt to avoid obsolescence in the near future you need Full HD 1080, DVI-D possibly HDMI as well, and a contrast ratio of at least 10000:1.

I hunted around for an LCD monitor in Cebu and just got frustrated with the process. I was interested in something approaching full HD or better with a DVI-D interface. After explaining this to the store people I was usually asked what model I wanted. My reply was I'd like to see the price and specs of monitors under 10,000 pesos. Usually I was pointed toward the nearest monitor that was vaguely close to the specs I wanted, but usually only analog or low resolution. After having to ask which were cheaper/better resolution/DVI-D and constantly hearing the reply this one is 22 inches and this one is 18 inches ect. I just gave up.

It seems you research on the net for models that you like, but when you get to the shop they don't have any of those, and they aren't really sure of the ones that they do have.

I'm used to shopping with every model with a price and spec card, and lists of price/spec comparisons displayed, so the whole thing just became frustrating. Eventually I decided to just bring one over the next time I came.

I don't mean this to sound like moaning, it is just a different kind of shopping to what I'm used to. The shops look really good in SM and Ayala but it is really difficult to make an informed purchase.

I think to attempt to avoid obsolescence in the near future you need Full HD 1080, DVI-D possibly HDMI as well, and a contrast ratio of at least 10000:1.

Yes, its a totally different kind of shopping. You pretty much gotta educate yourself before hand.

Half the employees working in these computer retail outlets don't even own a computer, much less even get trained on what the store is selling.