Sign in to follow this  
kc8ual

What does Binisaya mean?

af_phils
To be truthfully honest, I have been here for four years now and have attempted time and time again to learn Cebuano, but have never had any luck. In the last several weeks, just from focusing on the basis of the language and of course picking up any number of the dictionaries which now clutter my living room, I can put together rather rudimentary statements that my wife understands...

I suppose if your system is working for you then keep it up... but surely there must be an easier way for most other people, no? Have you tried complete immersion? And what I mean by that, no English whatsoever. I remember taking French in college, no English at all in the classroom from day one, (real grammar) textbook completely in French and assignment tapes with real- world slurred pronunciation. But in order for it to work you must have a teacher that can guide you through properly- all without uttering a word in English. I find it hard to believe that there are no available qualified instructors who can teach cebuano this way

Another problem with too much of your native language in the program is that you will be constantly translating in your head- which is double the work and a habit you may have a hard time kicking. It really is a sink or swim approach. I think you would learn quicker by actually getting into the water. Ask your wife you want to start communicating exclusively in cebuano, however, simple it may be at first.

Angie
You only corrected me once and that was to fix a sentence I put in the wrong order.

Everything else you said other then the "wrongs" were all in agreement with my findings.

Yeah, I only corrected you once on this thread but did you forget the story about a child who loved watching the stars?

Anyway, knock yourself out Nick. Do what you think is right.

Bob Ward

If I were considering a project like this, especially if I was using invested money, I think I would listen to an expert on the subject matter. Kristine and I were discussing the subject of teaching Cebuano (in the schools) the other day on the way to Talamban. It seems that many schools do not even bother to teach Cebuano diction and grammar in the proper sense as they are focused on English and Tagalog. Interesting for sure!!!

What I'm trying to get at is that there are so many dialects and regional variations, it's hard to nail down the exact origin and or correctness of words and usage.

misty
Another problem with too much of your native language in the program is that you will be constantly translating in your head- which is double the work and a habit you may have a hard time kicking. It really is a sink or swim approach. I think you would learn quicker by actually getting into the water. Ask your wife you want to start communicating exclusively in cebuano, however, simple it may be at first.

I dunno if there are many Mormons missionaries in Cebu but here in Iloilo, their missionaries are well versed with the dialect. They can converse and carry a conversation comfortably and it's quite amazing to just listen coz it's sounds like they are native born. lol