Bislig

I have an American friend who has a girlfriend who lives in Bislig, he wants to know how safe it is for him to travel to and stay in Bislig?

Is there anyone on the forum that lives in Bislig or knows Bislig and can advise on this? And has there been any recent terrorist

activity in the Bislig area?

RedRanger
I have an American friend who has a girlfriend who lives in Bislig, he wants to know how safe it is for him to travel to and stay in Bislig?

Is there anyone on the forum that lives in Bislig or knows Bislig and can advise on this? And has there been any recent terrorist

I have traveled thru the city before. I think it's about as safe as most part of Mindanao, My wife home city if about 150 km south of there, In Digos City.

I ve made 3 trips to PI and spend majority of my time in Mindanao area, I have never had an issues of felt unsafe roaming and travel in the area.

If he gets a chance spend some time in Davao, I really like the city and it's not the hustle and bustle like Manila. Between Manila, Cebu and Davao, I find Davoa to be a far better place to hang out.

shadow

I have been to Bislig performing investigations on several occasions, and found it to be safe, if not somewhat boring. It does seem to be a hotbed for scammers though.

Larry in Dumaguete

www.pointmancebu.com

I have been to Bislig performing investigations on several occasions, and found it to be safe, if not somewhat boring. It does seem to be a hotbed for scammers though.

Larry in Dumaguete

www.pointmancebu.com

Hmmm yes interesting, as his girlfriend is telling him it is dangerous for an American to travel between the airport at Butuan and Bislig I became suspicious,

also she is telling there is no suitable hotel in Bislig for him to stay????? And telling him there has been recent terrorist bombings in the area, hmmmm suspicious or what sounds like a web of lies?

Edited by Chaz

Chaz,

I have been to Bislig a number of times, as Larry has. If you haven't guessed, my former wife (JJ) and I used to do the interviews of possible scammers. Now, Larry and his wife do them.

I think Larry will agree, in that the highest number of "bad" Filipinas we have ever interviewed have come from... you guessed it, Surigao del Sur. To be more specific... Bislig, Lingig, Hinatuan, and Tandag. He may want to watch her very closely, for signs of being a scammer.

I will upload some photos of a trip I took from Surigao (Surigao del Norte) to Lingig (Surigao del Sur) and post the link in this thread.

Hmmm yes interesting, as his girlfriend is telling him it is dangerous for an American to travel between the airport at Butuan and Bislig I became suspicious,

also she is telling there is no suitable hotel in Bislig for him to stay????? And telling him there has been recent terrorist bombings in the area, hmmmm suspicious or what sounds like a web of lies?

I have personally traveled over more than 75% of Mindanao, including outlying islands. I have yet to be kidnapped, beheaded, or having been held for ransom (Yeah, that's gonna happen. I would talk them to death. They would bring me back shortly after kidnapping me.)

She, my friend, is blowing smoke up his ass.

By all means be suspicious until proven otherwise. On the map the distance between Butuan and Bislig is closer than Davao so its possible he is going that way I stayed in Borobo and buses from Butuan went through there and Bislig is about 2 hours from Borobo. There was some places to stay there maybe she thinks he will not be happy in them some foreigners are fussy about where they stay. I think someone else was asking about buses to Bislig from Butuan somewhere in this forum?

Bislig ladies do have a reputation for scams. You need more information maybe she wants to stay in a nice hotel far from home because.....?

We actually were going to Lingig, which was about 15 kilometers on from Bislig. Incidentally, the reason we were there in the first place, was to find a girl and surprise her for her boyfriend. Well, she got a surprise! He (the boyfriend) actually didn't believe her to be a scammer. However, we found out that she was getting him to pay for her school, and a family member (her uncle) to. You see, the family didn't know the boyfriend even existed. So, she wasn't only scamming the boyfriend, she was scamming her own family. I'm quite sure that she had some serious explaining to do after we left. :D

Here are some photos: Mindanao Trip - Surigao del Norte / Surigao del Sur

Chaz, your friend can view the forums and images without having to join the forums. So, send him the link, if you want, to this thread and the photos.

Map of Surigao del Sur

gallery_1_227_78670.jpg

tom_shor
Chaz,

I have been to Bislig a number of times, as Larry has. If you haven't guessed, my former wife (JJ) and I used to do the interviews of possible scammers. Now, Larry and his wife do them.

I think Larry will agree, in that the highest number of "bad" Filipinas we have ever interviewed have come from... you guessed it, Surigao del Sur. To be more specific... Bislig, Lingig, Hinatuan, and Tandag. He may want to watch her very closely, for signs of being a scammer.

I will upload some photos of a trip I took from Surigao (Surigao del Norte) to Lingig (Surigao del Sur) and post the link in this thread.

I have personally traveled over more than 75% of Mindanao, including outlying islands. I have yet to be kidnapped, beheaded, or having been held for ransom (Yeah, that's gonna happen. I would talk them to death. They would bring me back shortly after kidnapping me.)

She, my friend, is blowing smoke up his ass.

If they try to kidnap you just go limp. They won't carry you very far. :D I haven't ever been there but I remember reading a long forum topic where a lot of people had little good to say about the place.

shadow

Bislig is lacking in top end hotels, but there are plenty of clean pensions. If she doesn't want him to go there and meet her family, there is somethng drastically wrong with this picture which we have seen before many times over.

Larry in Dumaguete

udonthani

I have an American friend who has a girlfriend who lives in Bislig.

get real and tell the guy that it's not a 'girlfriend'. It's just some girl he's never met that hangs out in cyber cafes in the Philippines that chats to usually much older foreigners in a bid to extract cash from them, and that there are millions just like her.

From someone who lived up the mountain from Bislig for 2 1/2 years.Stay the f away from Bislig.For what it's worth.

I have an American friend who has a girlfriend who lives in Bislig.

get real and tell the guy that it's not a 'girlfriend'. It's just some girl he's never met that hangs out in cyber cafes in the Philippines that chats to usually much older foreigners in a bid to extract cash from them, and that there are millions just like her.

Actually, Mr Whippy, I have met both the American and Filipina in question, they are staying at a resort to the north of Cebu City. However, there is something that's not right with her, hence Chaz's question about the safety of Bislig for foreigners.

You know, this reminds me of a case a while back where the girl kept insisting on meeting her boyfriend in Davao.

The guy kept pressing for her to let him go to her place (Surigao del Sur). She kept on, insisting that he not go there.

Guess what was found out about the girl in question? She had a husband and kids at her place in Surigao del Sur.

udonthani

I have met both the American and Filipina in question, they are staying at a resort to the north of Cebu City.

fair enough but you would have to agree that it's pretty common for guys to refer to someone they've never met but only chat or text/call to as their 'girl' or 'girlfriend'.

basically if they don't want you to go their place, or when they DO want to go their place for a special occasion like NYE or All Souls and they make it clear that they do NOT want you around, that's a pretty clear signal that there's somebody there that they definitely do not want you to meet, usually their husband and often their children too.