Sign in to follow this  
State Trooper

Solar Energy

State Trooper

Ive read the posts on solar panels but Im wondering if anyone has actually priced them in Cebu or anywhere in the Philippines.

My wife and I are in China right now and the panels are fairly cheap here since they make them here. I could get 2 or 3 panels and string them together but Im wondering what Philippine Customs is going to say if I bring the panels back.

I can get 50 watt panels here for less than $100 each. Im not planning to power a lot of appliances, just lights and fans, mainly for blackouts. Im guessing they cost more than that in the Philippines?

Anyone have any experience with solar power? Does anyone know where you can get deep cycle batteries?

Paul

I don't know if these will help you, but perhaps they are a start?

http://energy.sourceguides.com/businesses/...r/pvM/pvM.shtml

http://energy.sourceguides.com/businesses/...batP/batP.shtml

http://sonnenenterprises.bravehost.com/

http://www.cisolar.com

If I owned my own place, I would definitely go with solar power, for electricity production and solar water heating.

billten

I have been looking at solar for water heating for some time but i am still not sure. How can i get hot water first thing in the AM for that morning shower before the sun really comes up? The storage of hot water (heated from the prior day) is a problem i can't seem to find a cheap and simple solution for. Any ideas guys?

David_LivinginTalisay
I have been looking at solar for water heating for some time but i am still not sure. How can i get hot water first thing in the AM for that morning shower before the sun really comes up? The storage of hot water (heated from the prior day) is a problem i can't seem to find a cheap and simple solution for. Any ideas guys?

Think this post is 'Off Topic' since the Originator of this Thread Topic, was referring to Photo Voltaic Cell Solar Panel, whereas you are asking about Solar hot water panels?

I also suspect you just asked, without first 'Searching' or you would have come across the correct Topic "In Hot Water"

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/inde...hl=solar+heater

However the Subject title is Solar Energy, so it is still relevant although would be easier to look up under the relevant Solar Panel - Electric, or Solar Water Panel?

To answee your Question, you just need an insulated hot water storage tank. If installed higher than the Solar Collector Panel, will collect the hot water via thermal siphon (hot water rises pulling the cooler water from storage tank from the bottom to feed the solar collector panel).

With the amount of sunshine and temperatures here in the Philippines, you don't need a pumped closed loop system using anti-Freeze fluid in the pipes.

Want to see how well solar heating works connect a black hose to a tap downstairs coil it in a 'serpentine' zig-zag bend on roof exposed to sunshine then put a spray on the other end of the hose and have it higher up.

After leaving in sun for say 1 hour, see what temperature comes out the spray nozzle. that should be enough for simple demonstration of the viability of Solar hot water.

Consider improving the Solar Collector with insulated box with glass cover and add insulted storage tank and you are done.

Your shower drawing water from the upper part of the hot water storage tank

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

misty
Ive read the posts on solar panels but Im wondering if anyone has actually priced them in Cebu or anywhere in the Philippines.

My wife and I are in China right now and the panels are fairly cheap here since they make them here. I could get 2 or 3 panels and string them together but Im wondering what Philippine Customs is going to say if I bring the panels back.

I can get 50 watt panels here for less than $100 each. Im not planning to power a lot of appliances, just lights and fans, mainly for blackouts. Im guessing they cost more than that in the Philippines?

Anyone have any experience with solar power? Does anyone know where you can get deep cycle batteries?

My FIL on his last visit brought some solar stuffs with him in his suitcase. lol Mostly solar garden lights and 3 other solar lights. On his next trip he plans to bring some more. hehe Currently we have an 80 watt solar panel which we bought here in the Philippines. We haven't set it up yet since there's some on going construction in our place.

Motolite got deep cycle batteries. Cost around 5k and it's order basis. http://www.motolite.com/app/webroot/batteries/view/6/14

I've called up & inquired before at Motolite and the one in charge recommended the next best thing from their deep cycle batteries is their Truckmaster 11 plates which cost around 3.5K. We bought that one and currently it's just waiting to be set up. ;)

DeezNuz

We've adapted a few of the houses we built with Solar Heating capabilities. Inlcuding our house in Maria Luisa...one in the US...works great for a climate like that of the Philippines. Now this is also a double-edge sword. During monsoon season July-September it rains quite frequently, so you'll end up with many of days without hot water.

As for powering the house...you'll need to do a lot of research before hand, calculating your daily/weekly/monthly electrical consumption to determine the number of panels you will need. It's always good to go Green...just keep in mind...even with the cost of Solar Panels coming down in price (in the US, don't know about the prices here) it will take approximately 10-years for you to get a return on your investment.

I don't think you'll get hit with too much on importation fee's when bringing panels back. I would guess around 25% the documented value.

David_LivinginTalisay

Guys,

Check out these YouTube videos related to 'Thin-film PV Solar Cells':-

Then Check out this guy putting a PV Solar Panel in water!

His experiment showed that PV Solar Panels get hot (from sunlight shining on them and the heat produced making electricity).

By putting in water to cool them (as well as letting the light still reach the PV panel), the voltage rose as the panels were cooloer.

This got me thinking about Solar Hot Water Panels.

So why not combine the 2 - ELECTRICITY Solar Panels, and Solar HOT WATER panels?

Have a PV Solar Panel in a shallow tank, filled with water, having an inlet feed of cold water supply at the bottom and at the top of the inclined Solar Panel, have a pipe taking out the heated water.

The PV Solar panels produce more electricity from being cooled with the water, and the water is heated from the sun and the PV photocell producing heat as well as electrical energy.

So can this be done?

Maybe it is possible and these new Thin Film Amorphous Silicon Solar Panels are cheaper and flexible and can be stuck down.

a_si_thin_film_solar_panels_amorphous_silicon_solar_modules_solar_cells.jpg

post-198-1250221538_thumb.jpg

Basically a 'Standing seam metal roofing system' with Thin-film stick on PV Solar Cells stuck on the bottom and then made into a sealed 'box' with glass lid stuck on with silicone rubber, and a water inlet to the bottom of the raised seam panel and heated water outlet near the top of the raised seam panel, with arrangements to get the waterproofed electrical connections from the PV panels out as well.

Provided the Thin-film PV Photocell is waterproof (except for the electrical connections - these need to be out of the water or sealed with silicon rubber), and this water cooling does increase PV Cell output as well as heating the water, you can potentially achieve two forms of Solar energy in the one Solar Panel, perhaps?

Anyone think this could work?

Buying a small panel and creating a test platform to test the concept, should prove if it is viable or not?

Anyway here is more on Thin Film Amorphous Silicon Solar Panels:-

* Thin Film Amorphous Silicon Solar Panels