Dish Network in Cebu

J in Seattle

Quick questions about Dish Network...

I know in the US, if you are a registerd Dish Network customer, you can move the dish and the receivers andwhere in the country and they have no idea where they are....

So I am thinking, can a dish be set-up in Cebu?

Are there restrictions against personal satelites?

I am thinking of setting up my US-registered dish, not hooking it up to a phone line and seeing what happens with it....

Has anyone tried, or does anyone know if this works???

Quick questions about Dish Network...

I know in the US, if you are a registerd Dish Network customer, you can move the dish and the receivers andwhere in the country and they have no idea where they are....

So I am thinking, can a dish be set-up in Cebu?

Are there restrictions against personal satelites?

I am thinking of setting up my US-registered dish, not hooking it up to a phone line and seeing what happens with it....

Has anyone tried, or does anyone know if this works???

The phone line isn't a problem since you can get a VOIP number from Vonage for anywhere in the US. The problem is that they use geostationary satellites that are over the US and unless they offer service here, there won't be any satellite in the sky for you to point the dish at, since we are on the otherside of the world.

The dish will be usable but not the receiver. You could use the dish for the mpeg-2 sats over Asia, you can get some interesting programs, but not US stuff.

The last two posts said a lot. The Philippines has satellite television and satellite internet connections. So, you won't have to worry about not having access to a number of channels.

HTH

chimellie

I don't think Dishnetwork is offering the servives in Asia therefore they don't have any satellites there, so your Dishnetwork system is useless there. Paul said they offer satellite tv in the P.I so they much have satellites in the sky there, some transponders offer free to air signals. Do a google search on "Free to air " to learn more. And check out this website http://www.lyngsat.com/

WorldlyPatriot
The dish will be usable but not the receiver. You could use the dish for the mpeg-2 sats over Asia, you can get some interesting programs, but not US stuff.

I have two questions:

(1) Is the USA dish receiving capability within the RF spectrum (RF bandwidth) of anything else (besides mpeg-2) that's got a footprint on RP?

(2) Assuming the USA dish is compatible in RF, can't the receiver be tweaked or switched to receive DREAM TV (also assuming you can get your hands on a DREAM decoder box and access card)?

chimellie
I have two questions:

(1) Is the USA dish receiving capability within the RF spectrum (RF bandwidth) of anything else (besides mpeg-2) that's got a footprint on RP?

(2) Assuming the USA dish is compatible in RF, can't the receiver be tweaked or switched to receive DREAM TV (also assuming you can get your hands on a DREAM decoder box and access card)?

Assuming your equipment is compatiable and if you can get your hands on a Dream decoder and an access card, you still need to figure out how to re-program the card to decode the signal, you have to know how to decipher the software, often the satellie company would modify the software to prevent thieves like us .

Ok I have a ? on top of the dish one....

remember in the 1980's you could buy a huge dish and reciever and point it out to the sea and pick up anything that was free via satelite.

All you had to have was the cordinates.

Is it still possible to do this?

chimellie
Ok I have a ? on top of the dish one....

remember in the 1980's you could buy a huge dish and reciever and point it out to the sea and pick up anything that was free via satelite.

All you had to have was the cordinates.

Is it still possible to do this?

Yes and it called " free to air". Do a google search on " free to air" and check this link www.lyngsat.com

Join free to air forums to learn more about this stuff.

Have fun