Seeking Investors

[quote name='thebob' date='Jul 27 2009, 08:36 PM' post='109622']

sensei and 2_little_time welcome to the forum. I notice that you both are new here and have made just a few posts.

This thread is not a discussion on the 'merits' of producing a cebuano grammar and vocabulary text, it is about finding people who are willing to invest in one.

You are more than welcome to start a new thread discussing the former if you want to, but this is not it.

sensei, I think your grasp of the use of this material is somewhat lacking, but remember this thread is not concerned with the uses to which this material will be put. They have already been explained.

If students have been studying English grammar, why would you expect them to be conversationally competent?

By the way, your strategy for language acquisition will work very well if you want to speak like a whore.

The aim of education bodies that employ grammatically based language teaching is to produce students who are grammatically and conversationally competent. It fails on both accounts.

I think your grasp of the English language is somewhat lacking if you think a lover is the same as a whore.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kc8ual

• Paul

• Markham

• 2_little_time

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thirteen months have elapsed since Nick started this thread inviting members to invest in his Cebuano e-books project and he's had use of his investors' money for approaching one year. The money advan

Posted Images

samatm

bing botta bing botta bing botta bang.

thebob
[quote name='thebob' date='Jul 27 2009, 08:36 PM' post='109622']

The aim of education bodies that employ grammatically based language teaching is to produce students who are grammatically and conversationally competent. It fails on both accounts.

I think your grasp of the English language is somewhat lacking if you think a lover is the same as a whore.

Thank you for your universal summary on the aims of educational bodies.

If your objective, as stated, in taking a 'lover' is purely for linguistic advancement, then 'you' sir are a whore.

If you are accusing me of being a cunning linguist, you could well be right.icon4.gif

softail
sensei and 2_little_time welcome to the forum. I notice that you both are new here and have made just a few posts.

This thread is not a discussion on the 'merits' of producing a cebuano grammar and vocabulary text, it is about finding people who are willing to invest in one.

You are more than welcome to start a new thread discussing the former if you want to, but this is not it.

sensei, I think your grasp of the use of this material is somewhat lacking, but remember this thread is not concerned with the uses to which this material will be put. They have already been explained.

If students have been studying English grammar, why would you expect them to be conversationally competent?

By the way, your strategy for language acquisition will work very well if you want to speak like a whore.

Sounds like the "free dinner" investment seminars that are given around my area. The people giving the dinners are only interesting is selling the investments, not interested in any discussion about the merit of the investment. You will be walked out if you try to bring up some valid points that you would like to discuss. This seems eerily similar to those dinners, only interested in investors, not discussion. Somebody is being walked out.

2_little_time
Sounds like the "free dinner" investment seminars that are given around my area. The people giving the dinners are only interesting is selling the investments, not interested in any discussion about the merit of the investment. You will be walked out if you try to bring up some valid points that you would like to discuss. This seems eerily similar to those dinners, only interested in investors, not discussion. Somebody is being walked out.

Softail, you nailed it. I owe you a beer, maybe two.

You know, I do have the capabilities of moderating my own posts but I choose not to. The reasons for this is simple. It is not my place to sensor anyone and if they have something to say then by all means go on and say it. Let's face it, it is a known fact that no two people learn alike. When it comes to learning another language, immersion may work for some by may not work for others.

The French have a saying. "If you want to learn French, take a French lover."

I have me a Filipino lover... Been married to her for 4 years and have been immersed in Cebuano on a daily basis and I have learned very little. At the same time, I have met foreigners here in Cebu that have only been here for a couple of months and they can speak Cebuano quite well.

Now, I have received some emails in my spam email account that I have got to bring up because they just made me laugh. I was laughing so hard that I almost pissed myself too.

Number one, I apparently am a scam artist because they Googled it and determined that. Keep in mind, Google also says everyone can make $2 million in two days but that does not mean it is correct. Last time I Googled my name it said I was a 47 year old Blacks currently incarcerated in a Michigan prison. Of course I know that not to be true and if I am not mistaken, about 30 members from this forum saw me live and in person last month at Mooon Cafe, saw that just goes to show how much Google knows.

Number two, I am twisting my words because anyone knows that John Wolff's works are available online at Cornell's Southeast Asian Studies website. Well this is sort of rediculous as well. For starters, Cornell runs the Southeast Asian Studies Program, but John Wolff did not work for them. To say that everything he created on Cebuano is already digitized just shows stupidity. He was in fact a professor of linguistic studies at Yale, and the grammar book that is being developed is not available online. It was never written to teach people who to speak Cebuano. It was one of his stacks of papers that he hands out to his students to explain languages. Furthermore, if there is a copy available at Cornell, this still does not mean that it has been digitized. It took thousands of volunteers more then 3 years to digitize more then 30,000 public domain books for the Gutenburg Project. Anyone who has seen the insides of a university can easily attest to the fact that Universities contain hundreds of thousands of texts, manuscripts and more in their archives and do not have 1,000 students every single semester digitizing.

I don't go around lying and I am not trying to run any form of scam. I have said it time and time again that I would prefer meeting up face to face with any investor to show them what I have and what I plan on doing with it. It is then up to them to decide whether or not they want to invest. If you are not interested in investing, then technically you would have absolutely no say in what get's done or how it is done now would you? On the other hand, those who have shown an interest will see what I have and what I plan on doing and they will also have some say in what gets done or what should be done. Furthermore, I am not asking for any form of investment that I am already incapable of covering. In other words, have you ever thought of the fact that the reason I am taking on investors is because I want to, not because I actually need the money to complete the project?

Now why would anyone take on investors if not for their investments? Interesting question, well, because they are buying a certain portion of the book's development. I am only one person and what I think will work may not work for everyone else and having 5 other people to critique it will help make sure that it will help those more universally. I also say repayment will be made in 6 months or after the 100th copy is sold online. Investors have an interest and since they are getting copies of the completed product before its release, would it not be safe to say that they would make excellent reviewers of the books? Of course then again if you go to any of those recommended sites that Google will tell you will make you $2 million in two days, you will see fake testimony from people that do not exist. These books will have real reviews from real people on these forums that other people can speak to if they are thinking about purchasing a book set. So it sort of makes you wonder. Maybe there is more to me asking for investors then just the investment.

I am not rich, nor am I a pensioner, I am self-employed and therefore my income is limited to the amount of work I am willing to take on and complete. As anyone of us here knows, the international transactions get placed on hold for a period of time before they can be accessed and as such, if I work and complete an order on Monday July 1st, I will not have access to that money until at least the 15th or later because of this hold. I only need to make enough money to pay my bills and put money in the bank for projects, because I love doing them and as a result I only work maybe an hour a day online. After coming out of the hospital, I have increased my workload to more then 6 hours per day, but like I said, it takes 2 to 3 weeks before I get it. I have money, and I make money every single day. I make exactly what I need to live and to support my family.

Three people will be stopping by my house on the 8th and they will have the opportunity to see the items, hear about my plans as well as put in their own insights and opinions regarding the work. If they feel afterwards that they do not wish to invest, then that is their decision. If they want to invest then that is also their decision too.

Where I am from we have a very simple saying which can stand true here for some posts. If you assume something to which you do not know, then you are only making an A$$ out of yoU and ME. So before you go an make assumptions, you might want to see what I have. And I will admit, that in some of my responses here I have made an A$$ out of myself, but heck, I am still under thirty and therefore I have that right.

In all reality, I just think that some people are overly paranoid and think that everyone is out to get them. Well guess what, not everyone is out to get you except the spiders in your head and the boogey man; if you believe in that sot of thing. I mean seriously, haven't you thought about the fact that I am refusing investments into the bi-lingual books? Maybe because that might not work and may flop and may not be worth anything at all. That does not mean that I will not attempt it, because you do not know if it will work or not until you try it. Did you ever think about why I am not asking for long-term investors to own portions of the idea forever? Maybe that's because I don't even know if the books will sell when completed and maybe I am only accepting the amount of investors that I can physically afford to pay back in 6 months time.

But I shouldn't have to explain myself to some people because they know all and anything that they don't know, they can trust Google 100% to show them the truth. People surprise, although they shouldn't. I should be used to this type of paranoia and egocentric personas; after all I did spend most of my life in the states where practically everyone is like this.

For those who have decided to invest, I still ask that you attend the get-together before making a final decision. I would like to thank you for your interest though and rest assured that as I have stated already in this post, the full repayment is already sitting in an interest bearing savings account (I won't have access to it for a couple of weeks cause of the whole anti-money laundering laws here). For those who do not want to invest, then I am sorry to hear that. You have your reasons and what ever they are they are your reasons, but please make sure that if you plan on stating them, that you do so in a manner which I cannot take as an insult or as defamation of character. This includes calling me a liar or a cheat or a scammer no matter how you choose to word it; especially when you do not have all of the facts. Just think of the concept as a "Need to know" basis. As someone who is not interested in investing, you need to know absolutely nothing at all. Those that are investing will be told at the get-together.

Seeing as though I have the 5 investors I have asked for, if this childish behaviors continue, I will simply close the thread until I am ready to add updates on the project so that all can see. But if everyone behaves themselves and has intelligent conversations that does not hurt anyone else, then I will leave the thread open. Any questions then you will have to PM me. Do not send me an email because that goes to my spam account and I only check that every month or so to keep the account from being closed and will almost never see any one particular email sent there.

WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET.... ALONG -Martin Lawrence

-Nick

Paul

You know, I have no idea what the other fellows involved in this venture feel about "why" they are actually doing what they are doing, other than what they have posted here.

However, I can tell you this. I have personally known Nick for a few years now. He is a fellow Amateur Radio Operator, as well as probably being the youngest guy I have known to come here and live full time - on his own - and make it. (I came here at 34 years of age to stay permanently, so I have respect for someone, anyone, who can do it younger than I did.) You see, he and I have had some things in common, which have allowed us to connect, communicate, and interact over this time frame.

But, I have never, ever known him to try to screw anyone out of anything. He has been an active member here, and has helped others selflessly with his posts and information. He has done work for me, and I'm sure, for others on this forum, in the past. He has posted, openly, what he intends to do here as well. He hasn't tried to scam anyone, and every participant has had the choice to be involved in this or not.

Now, we have, as we always do, people who only wish to sit on the side lines and do nothing but criticize what someone else is trying to accomplish.

Let me let you folks in on a secret. I don't give a damn if this venture makes money or not. The point is, HE is trying to do something to make a difference. HE believes in what he is doing. Now, anyone else who wishes not to be involved in this, that's fine. Keep your money in your pocket, give it away to prostitutes, beggars, or put it in the bank and count it later. Whatever you choose to do with it is entirely up to you. Until now, I certainly haven't judged anyone for not getting involved in this venture.

This, in my opinion, is something that will benefit others. I'm all for it, if for nothing else, because of that. Hell, I have spent more than Php 10,000 in a single night, back when I was doing some major barhopping. Why not try to do something positive with that money instead?

Now, as I have stated, if you wish to not participate and help out here, then that is great. But stop trying to make this venture into something it isn't, a scam.

Let's see what ideas (in another new thread only) you folks can come up with to help others. Or, do you even give a damn about anyone else but yourselves? Perhaps that is it? You wish to criticize someone who is trying to make a difference, but you are not willing to do something yourselves? If you are, then good on ya. If not, then drop it.

Edited by Admin
Edit: Corrected errors in my post - Paul
Paul

I like my post better, Nick. :welcome::lol:

Markham
Seeing as though I have the 5 investors I have asked for

That's good news, Nick, looks like we have a live project here. As Paul has stated, there are always people here who behave like keyboard commandos and diss anything that takes their fancy, be it an advertisement for a car, a charitable foundation or a worthwhile project such as yours. Of course these people have absolutely no interest in buying or subscribing - they diss because they can. Such people have far too much idle time on their hands.

I happen to believe in the merits of this project. Grammar and correct sentence construction is very important in the learning of any language if we are to express precisely what we mean. "Eats, shoots and leaves" and "eats shoots and leaves" are classic examples of this.

Mark

kar wren

...God bless you guys in your endeavor.

Athena

I been reading this post but I must admit I had skip a few

I been reading this post but I must admit I had skip a few

Good luck with your project and remember if you never try you will never fail. DONT LET THE BASTARDS GET YOU DOWN :-)

softail
Good luck with your project and remember if you never try you will never fail. DONT LET THE BASTARDS GET YOU DOWN :-)

When contemplating a business venture a little healthy debate is always good. Topics like , is there a market for my product, what is the profit potential or return on investment? This is particularly important when asking for investors to join in with the enterprise. 2_little_time was simply trying to address these hard questions. In the process of trying to stimulate a little debate there was a lot of disrespect being sent his way, that