Seeking Investors

For some time now I have been working on a project but keep running into issues one right after another. I guess that is supposed to happen more often then not especially when you are younger. I want to stat by asking Paul if he feels this does not belong on the forum to go ahead and delete it, but he is already aware of the project and has and will continue to play a crucial role in it.

The concept in reality is something that will benefit all foreigners living here or planning on living here in the future. The only problem is that every time I seem to get myself close to having the funds necessary to complete the project, something happens. The most recent of those somethings is the fact that I caught Dengue and after the hospital bill and catching up on a week's worth of eating, the funds I have been setting aside disappeared (go figure).

Anyway, what we have is some manuscripts that need to be updated. Basically, thanks to some help by a friend of mine, I have in my possession a manuscript written in the mid-1960's by a linguist. This manuscript has since been turned over to public domain and needs to be revamped to current standards. Basically what it is, is two parts.

The first part being the most important and something no one can find here. What I am talking about is the complete breakdown of Cebuano Grammar. Most foreigners here would like to learn some Cebuano, but unfortunately no one can answer grammatical questions appropriately. There is a very good reason for this and that is simply because it is not taught. There is not one school in this country that has a book on the grammatical rules of the Cebuano Language. There are no book stores selling a breakdown of this information. Cebuano is taught as an "as-is" language by the parents since birth. It is not expounded on throughout schooling with regards to sentence structure, orders, syntax and the like.

In the Mid 1960's under a US Department of Education grant, a linguist came here to the Philippines to record the Cebuano language which at the time was considered to be dying. Today there is more then 100 times more speakers of Cebuano then in the 1960's and as well all know today is very active and alive. Because of the fact it was paid for by a US Grant, it only had a 20 year copyright and ever since then has been sitting in the archive shelves of a well-known University in Upstate New York.

I have one of the last remaining copies of the original manuscript and have spent the last 6 months trying to type it all out into a document format. This is not as easy as one would think. I am very busy and therefore cannot set aside more then an hour a day for this 800 page manuscript. It is also fairly outdated but I have all of the updated information to bring it up to today's standards but unfortunately have found myself in the need for hiring someone to do the work for me. This manuscript upon completion will be available in a set here on Living in Cebu along with vocabulary. We are talking more then 30,000 Cebuano words, 50,000+ definitions complete with examples in Cebuano as well as their English translations. The words in the vocabulary are all up to date Cebuano words with English definitions but are in no particular order. By my estimates the vocabulary will take up more then 2,000 pages in all. Without being able to devote myself full-time, I am afraid I will never get around to making these books available to everyone.

By my estimates, it will take 3 months worth of 40 hour weeks just compiling all the information and typing it out. to create a fully-functional and effective Learn Cebuano program so that everyone here will finally be able to have the questions answered that has made learning the language fluently seem as if it is an impossible task. The final works will hopefully be available by January first of next year, but I would like to have them ready sooner. They will of course be derivatives of the original works which have been allowed to lapse into Public Domain, but will be updated seriously as a lot has changed in the last 50 years since their creation.

I also plan on creating other similar woks to help everyone here learn to speak as fluently as possible, but those will take time to get to. I am expecting the finished Cebuano Vocabulary and Cebuano Grammar books (almost 3,000 pages between the two) to be only $50 for the set as an e-book available right here through LinC.

Basically what I am looking for is between P40,000 and P50,000 in investments to help get these finished before the new year.

I will give up 20% of the profits from every online sale to be divided amongst the investors until the initial investments plus interest are paid in full. Furthermore, every investor will get a free copy of the set of books on top of repayment plus interest as soon as the book is finished. Meaning that the investors will get the very first copies available.

Turn around time for the completion of the project assuming I can get the necessary financing will be on or before January 1st of 2010. The repayment will be by the time that the 100th copy is sold online. At 20% of the profits we are talking about P500 of every copy sold will go to the repayment of investors. I cannot see any reason why full repayment plus interest will not be within the next 6 months. I would like to see 4-5 investors of P10,000 each.

Furthermore, the sooner I can get the 2 books compiled and completed, the sooner I can get started on other projects to go with this. I am planning on keeping the workers on after completion of the two books to do translation work allowing me to make available to you all and your Filipinas, bi-lingual books such as Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, Sherlock Homes, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huklebery Finn as well as about 30,000 other titles which have since fallen into Public Domain; in both English and Cebuano to help us foreigners learn Cebuano better and to help our Filipinas learn English. Eventually I would also like to have these available in both the digital as well as printed forms, but let's focus on one thing at a time.

Right now I am in need of investors; 4 to 5 of them willing to invest P10,000 each with a repayment plus 20% interest within the next 6 months or a total of P12,000 repayment to each investor plus a free copy of both the grammar and vocabulary books in digital form. Also, until the investments are paid in full, any bi-lingual book created will also be available to the investors free of charge. So if I can get 2 or three English Classics translated before repayment is made, then the 4 or 5 investors will receive digital copies of those 2 or three bi-lingual books, the Cebuano Vocabulary as well as the Cebuano Grammar books free of charge.

Also, I have already spoken to Paul and I plan on raffling off a minimum of 5 copies at every month's get-togethers because I would like more of us foreigners to be able to speak the local language.

As I stated previously, Paul, if you don't want this post here then by all means delete it. Anyone who is interested in investing or would even like to know more about the two books, please contact me via PM or at my landline number 032-238-7967. I am home almost every single day, all day long so the chances that I am the one answering the phone will be good, in the event my helper answers, please inform her that you do not bite and make every single attempt to not scare her because she is quite skiddish if someone is speaking English on the other end (she hung up on my mom last week).

Ok, well I think that covers everything as far as I can think for now... but then again I must be getting older because more often then not, things have an increasing habit of slipping my mind... and I hate it. Once again please contact me by PM or phone call if you are interested in investing for this short term project or if you are wanting more information such as the types of information that will be contained in the books. Just remember that the grammar alone will be more then 800 pages so I will not read it to you word for word... I have not even read the entire thing all the way through yet, of course that is mainly because some parts are just really really boring (but what can be expected when it was written by a linguist). I have about 12 months so far invested into this project and it is nice finally being at the point where I am almost ready to make it available; of which it would have already been finished by now if it were not for stupid recessions screwing with my income and those dang mosquitoes biting me. Well this post is long enough I don't want a GSIS issue here with data getting corrupted and dropped into the wrong tables :P

-Nick

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kc8ual

• Paul

• Markham

• 2_little_time

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thirteen months have elapsed since Nick started this thread inviting members to invest in his Cebuano e-books project and he's had use of his investors' money for approaching one year. The money advan

Posted Images

ok, so I have been asked for examples of what all needs to be done. Keep in mind that this manuscript was typed on a typewriter back in the mid 1960's. There were certain characters that were not available on typewriters as well as certain formatting which are only available on today's personal computers so just to give you all an idea:

post-27-1248077367_thumb.gif

post-27-1248077374_thumb.gif

post-27-1248077380_thumb.gif

post-27-1248077386_thumb.gif

post-27-1248077393_thumb.gif

post-27-1248077399_thumb.gif

post-27-1248077404_thumb.gif

post-27-1248077420_thumb.gif

post-27-1248077426_thumb.gif

post-27-1248077435_thumb.gif

post-27-1248077441_thumb.gif

The bigest example is the amount of Glottal Stops which is used in Cebuano. A Glottal Stop is like saying "Uh-Oh" or "Hawai'i"... it is that pause done with the back of the throat that does not really exist in English. This is a Glottal Stop "ʔ" and unfortunately is not on a typerwriter so the original author used "q" everywhere. Yes... I know it looks like a question mark, but it's not "ʡ" "ʕ" "ʢ" These are also Glottal Stops, but not the ones used in Cebuano. Furthermore, to represent "Ng" the symbol should be "ŋ" but that too was unavailable and therefore was penciled in... the same as most accent marks throughout this manuscript. Needless to say, a lot of work :P This particular part of the manuscript I have already finished roughly 50 pages.

-Nick

Good news. As it happens, I am working for a printer company here. The samples you provided are real good quality. It will only take a couple of minutes to scan them and create searchable PDF files.

Let me know if you are interested.

Good news. As it happens, I am working for a printer company here. The samples you provided are real good quality. It will only take a couple of minutes to scan them and create searchable PDF files.

Let me know if you are interested.

I have tried with Abbyy Finereadeader as well as several other top name OCRs and have spent countless hours training and countless dollars. Those scans are only 72 dpi. and the OCRs get a maximum of 90% accuracy... It will take the same time to OCR the scans and then make corrections that it will take typing them out by hand. I appreciate the offer, but while the scans are fairly good, the original texts are less then desirable and keeps causing issues. Not to mention the fact that as it sits now, the manuscript does not make any real sense for the average person and will require loads of work so I have to have an editable copy in .doc or .txt to work with. Such as in the case in dealing with Public Domain works and derivatives thereof in accordance with Philippine and other international copyright laws. It has to be editable.

-Nick

thebob

I've done quite a bit of this in the past.

Flatbed scanner with a document feeder, crank up the contrast a bit, a bit of pre-process and then a good OCR program like OmniPage Pro. Make sure to back up the OCR dictionary with a good linguistics corpus. It will output to txt or whatever. .pdf is editable.

Just read your post about Abbyy Finereadeader, not familiar with that but it looks like it should do OK. Just rescan at a higher res, and lots of contrast.

If you are happy with your method, I can spare 10,000 Pesos for a while.

I've done quite a bit of this in the past.

Flatbed scanner with a document feeder, crank up the contrast a bit, a bit of pre-process and then a good OCR program like OmniPage Pro. Make sure to back up the OCR dictionary with a good linguistics corpus. It will output to txt or whatever. .pdf is editable.

Just read your post about Abbyy Finereadeader, not familiar with that but it looks like it should do OK. Just rescan at a higher res, and lots of contrast.

If you are happy with your method, I can spare 10,000 Pesos for a while.

Thanks thebob. I take it you are in Cebu at the moment? Once I get some investors together I will have everyone come to my place to show them all that I have planned. I also have OmniPage Pro, but its results were much lower then that of Abbyy. Omni was the first I tried because I make use of many of Nuance's other products on a regular basis. According to my friend, there was only two copies of the manuscript at the Yale archives and the one he scanned and sent to me was the best one. It was a Xerox of the original and many of the pages are just plainly awful. I have cleared them up the best that I can using Adobe Photoshop but the most I will be able to do is to print them as an image in order to have someone transcribe the pages. I was actually surprised when my friend got back to me, the amount of stuff that was done both by Yale and Cornell during the 1960's and 1970's. The Vocabulary itself consists of about 5 different manuscripts that will be combined one transcribed which is why I can only estimate as to the number of words, descriptions and examples based on the potential for repeats between the 5 different manuscripts.

Contact me by PM or by landline so we can talk a little more about everything. As far as the Filipino I am hiring for this and more work, I am taking a referral given to me by the Dean of the University of the Philippines for a recent Journalist graduate who has shown excellence in English, Cebuano and Tagalog and has yet to find a job. But like I said, those other projects are for down the road, right now I have promised to have these two books completed by January 1st and I intend on delivering on that promise.

I have the interest already set aside, but after the lost week of work, hospital bill and food bill from being sick, Most of what I needed was spent and I already have the person on a 6 month contract for work to begin August 17th. That's were the needed investment comes from... 6 months at P8,000/month plus an early completion bonus if they meet the deadline on time which she should. But like I said, I will get into more about it later. I just need 3 to 4 more investors and I can have my lawyer draw up an investment contract if anyone is worried about that so it will be legal and binding.

Once again, thanks thebob... I got you down and we need to get a hold of each other over the next couple of days. Please everyone, feel free to ask any questions about the project. I am doing it for all of us here and all those that may some day join us. When finished it will cover the span of three volumes of books and more then 3,000 pages of useful information that will help anyone learn Cebuano because it offers the information regarding the questions that I know we all ask tutors here who cannot answer because they just do not know.

-Nick

OK, so I have a couple of guys who would like to invest so I think I will have a small get-together on Sunday August 2nd at my place. I don't drink and do not allow alcoholic beverages in my house but I will have Coke, tea and what my daughter calls biscuits... Those assorted cookies you get at the supermarkets that come in a bucket (buckets are very useful especially when free). Keep in mind that my house is very small and I don't really have much furniture nor is there any parking spaces available (gotta love Filipino subdivisions) so I cannot entertain a lot of people, but those who are interested in meeting up and are thinking about possibly investing in this short-term project, please feel free to get a hold of me. I will post more details later on.

-Nick

OK, so I have a couple of guys who would like to invest so I think I will have a small get-together on Sunday August 2nd at my place. I don't drink and do not allow alcoholic beverages in my house but I will have Coke, tea and what my daughter calls biscuits... Those assorted cookies you get at the supermarkets that come in a bucket (buckets are very useful especially when free). Keep in mind that my house is very small and I don't really have much furniture nor is there any parking spaces available (gotta love Filipino subdivisions) so I cannot entertain a lot of people, but those who are interested in meeting up and are thinking about possibly investing in this short-term project, please feel free to get a hold of me. I will post more details later on.

-Nick

Please send me the directions to the investors meeting.

Paul

Nick, August 2nd, I believe, is when Chaz is having his get together. You may have some conflicts. Care to change the date?

Nick, August 2nd, I believe, is when Chaz is having his get together. You may have some conflicts. Care to change the date?

Thanks Paul, Yeah, maybe the 8th will be better. Didn't even think about that. I think we need to get rid of the Gregorian calendar all together anyway... there is just not enough weekends in a month :lol:

-Nick

DeezNuz

Excellent, there is a need for a "Cebuano For Dummies Book".

Actually, I wish National Book store carried the Dummies series.

Ok, so those who would like to invest for the short-term, we will do it on Saturday August the 8th around 2pm

I am at Block 17 Lot 17 Deca Homes Mactan 1

This is in Barangay Agus, but at the edge in the area known as ibabao Agus and right next to Basak, Lapu-Lapu.

If taking a taxi make sure to specify Lapu-Lapu because there is also a Basak in Mandaue (wrong place by about 14km)

Deca Homes are the Green and tan two story row houses. There is a similar subdivision under construction near the new mall, but this is Mactan 3... I am buying here, but not living there as of yet, you want Mactan 1... the older development.

By the way, I heard through the bamboo telegraph that McDonalds, Pizza Hut and Chow King have already signed leases in the new mall Yeahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Ok, map time:

post-27-1248173467_thumb.gif

If anyone finds the map confusing.... go back to school... no just kidding... just get a hold of me.

Please make sure that you RSVP... This is a socialized housing development and parking is far an few between. The house is only 50 sq. Meters and not big enough for many people... and I do not allow alcohol in the house, so I will provide Coke, tea as well as cookies... Wow that just sounded really really gay but oh-well.

Now, you will have to check your license at the gate, no entry without sticker. There is a map at the gate of the subdivision and my address is labeled as #43 St. Mark Street, but its not officially recognized by PhilPost. Upon entry, take the very first left turn, it is a narrow road but a full size Chevy will fit down it. Keep the speed under 10 kmh, there will be kids out playing. Follow the bend in the road and on the straight-a-way is where my house is. Easiest way to spot it...

On my side of the road, there are 3 pinkly townhomes looking like they are one (these are rentals). Directly across the street is a Mediteranean Yellow colored home with an excessive extension added on to it. My house looks like trailer-park trash. I have piles of rocks and sand bagged and hidden under a tarp. My motorcycle has been sitting (on blocks) for 2 years and is currently covered by a piece of green colored linoleum flooring (cannot get any more trailer-parkish then that :welcome: )

Remember, please let me know if you are planning on attending. Even if to hang out because I need to get some plastic chairs, I only have 3 in the house. Plus I want to make sure I have plenty of refreshments.

-Nick

Paul

<--- needs a strong chair, but will be there.

<--- needs a strong chair, but will be there.

OK, so let's see... I need to hide a camera, and cut one of the legs of the only wooden chair.... Oh wait... did I say that aloud... oops! Hmm... Maybe its time that I finally invest in some of that lovely and very, very cheap bamboo furniture?

-Nick

-Nick

Good luck with your venue.