Sign in to follow this  
bret

construction in the Philippines

bret

I plan to build my own dream house one day. Probably even before I really retire, so I am still working while constructing my dream farmette with main living quarters and assorted out buildings. I have read pretty much all I could find on the subject from ex-pats in the Philippines who documented their projects on-line.

I was wondering if any of you fine gents (or ladies) have any other reading/study suggestions, on-line or especially books on the subject. Beginner type books or tutorials are best at this point. I am curios about the proper ways, means and measures to frame forms for concrete footings and walls, using concrete blocks (hollow block), proper rebar configurations, concrete mixes, soil testing, foundation and Post/Beam concrete construction standards in the Fils. I have ordered some books on US standard methods, but doesn't seem there is much info or books available on standards in the Philippines. (maybe there aren't any.... :) )

I realize being able to spot craftsmanship and correctness on the job mostly comes from experience. Too bad I have none. I will be at the mercy of any general contractor I were to hire, since they could tell me "this is the way it's done" and I wouldn't really know better. So, I would like to at least study up so I am not completely retarded :D when it comes to dealing with trades people.

Bukwali
I plan to build my own dream house one day. Probably even before I really retire, so I am still working while constructing my dream farmette with main living quarters and assorted out buildings. I have read pretty much all I could find on the subject from ex-pats in the Philippines who documented their projects on-line.

I was wondering if any of you fine gents (or ladies) have any other reading/study suggestions, on-line or especially books on the subject. Beginner type books or tutorials are best at this point. I am curios about the proper ways, means and measures to frame forms for concrete footings and walls, using concrete blocks (hollow block), proper rebar configurations, concrete mixes, soil testing, foundation and Post/Beam concrete construction standards in the Fils. I have ordered some books on US standard methods, but doesn't seem there is much info or books available on standards in the Philippines. (maybe there aren't any.... :) )

I realize being able to spot craftsmanship and correctness on the job mostly comes from experience. Too bad I have none. I will be at the mercy of any general contractor I were to hire, since they could tell me "this is the way it's done" and I wouldn't really know better. So, I would like to at least study up so I am not completely retarded :D when it comes to dealing with trades people.

Hi Bret, there are several books that you can find covering building construction in the Phillippines, I have at least six books rangeing from simple" building construction, site management, simple costing, Philippine building code, philippine fire code, philippine construction" If you search the net you'll find a free pdf file on philippine building code, I did post a link to it in the past but at present I'm not in the philippines so cant access my computer to dig it out, I'll be back in a week or two, and I can post the link and book titles then.

John

Edited by Bukwali

bret
Hi Bret, there are several books that you can find covering building construction in the Phillippines, I have at least six books rangeing from simple" building construction, site management, simple costing, Philippine building code, philippine fire code, philippine construction" If you search the net you'll find a free pdf file on philippine building code, I did post a link to it in the past but at present I'm not in the philippines so cant access my computer to dig it out, I'll be back in a week or two, and I can post the link and book titles then.

John

Thanks John.

I have googled a lot, but maybe I am just not hitting the right key words to coax out any appropriate data off the net. Would be great to have actual book names and links. Will wait for your posting in a couple weeks then.

Bukwali
Thanks John.

I have googled a lot, but maybe I am just not hitting the right key words to coax out any appropriate data off the net. Would be great to have actual book names and links. Will wait for your posting in a couple weeks then.

I just had a quick look and found this [see below] there is pdf doc for this somewhere, when I get back I'll send you the book titles and ISBN Numbers

http://www.chanrobles.com/republicactno6541.htm

John

bret
I just had a quick look and found this [see below] there is pdf doc for this somewhere, when I get back I'll send you the book titles and ISBN Numbers

http://www.chanrobles.com/republicactno6541.htm

John

Thanks John.

I found that as well, but didn't see how to down load the building code. I also searched National Book store on-line...no luck. There is supposedly a .PDF available on-line, but the only links I find for that are broken.

Wasn't sure that the building code would be "laymen" enough for me anyways. I was looking for some beginner type books or docs that I can use.

Thanks for the assist.

DeezNuz

We just finished building a house for my Aunt in which I was monitoring the entire project. A lot of red tape to go through with permits and occular inspections, but if you're patient things easily gets pushed through in no time.

post-5388-1247567727_thumb.jpg

post-5388-1247567767_thumb.jpg

My family has been in Construction for quite some time (in the US). Search McLarenUSA in google.

One thing I noticed here is the quality in which the laborers build things. If you must use a contractor, stay onsite daily to monitor their work. They love using concrete here but most do not know the proper methods in laying/tying re-bar and proper quantities to use in cement. You gotta remember that most of these laborers live in huts or plywood houses in the province, so unless you show them the proper way to do it, they'll do it wrong. Most of the Engineers/Contractors you hire won't really know what to monitor unless you go with one of the large construction companies here.

Here are some tips:

1. Use heavy equipment as much as possible. For the foundation work, employ a Mini-Excavator (2-5 ton capacity) with a back-fill blade. It can get the foundation prepped in half the time and half the expense of laborers. Especially if they have to work in limestone. Rentals usually go for $75 a day, with operator.

2. Bring a concrete vibrator and portable self-powered tools. Don't buy them here.

3. Do not let them Hand-Mix the cement. Always use a cement mixer. Rent one.

4. When using hollow block, make sure to get it from a good supplier. There are many back-yard hollow block manufacturers that have terrible product. Better yet, buy a former for $200 and make them yourself.

5. I recommend insulating the hollow block to aid in sound proofing, add strength and help with insulation.

D_D

Don't use hollow block.

I built my house using 3D panels.

Cheaper, Faster to install, better insulation rating, just as if not even stronger than hollow block.

They used the same technique for the new Cebu Doc building in the North Reclamation area.

Here is more info ....

http://www.tridipanel.com/

http://www.3dsmartstructures.com/products/tridi/index.html

http://www.3dsmartstructures.com/faq/

Edited by Diver Douglas
  • Like 1

bret
We just finished building a house for my Aunt in which I was monitoring the entire project. A lot of red tape to go through with permits and occular inspections, but if you're patient things easily gets pushed through in no time.

post-5388-1247567727_thumb.jpg

post-5388-1247567767_thumb.jpg

My family has been in Construction for quite some time (in the US). Search McLarenUSA in google.

One thing I noticed here is the quality in which the laborers build things. If you must use a contractor, stay onsite daily to monitor their work. They love using concrete here but most do not know the proper methods in laying/tying re-bar and proper quantities to use in cement. You gotta remember that most of these laborers live in huts or plywood houses in the province, so unless you show them the proper way to do it, they'll do it wrong. Most of the Engineers/Contractors you hire won't really know what to monitor unless you go with one of the large construction companies here.

Here are some tips:

1. Use heavy equipment as much as possible. For the foundation work, employ a Mini-Excavator (2-5 ton capacity) with a back-fill blade. It can get the foundation prepped in half the time and half the expense of laborers. Especially if they have to work in limestone. Rentals usually go for $75 a day, with operator.

2. Bring a concrete vibrator and portable self-powered tools. Don't buy them here.

3. Do not let them Hand-Mix the cement. Always use a cement mixer. Rent one.

4. When using hollow block, make sure to get it from a good supplier. There are many back-yard hollow block manufacturers that have terrible product. Better yet, buy a former for $200 and make them yourself.

5. I recommend insulating the hollow block to aid in sound proofing, add strength and help with insulation.

Thanks for the tips Big Bob. Nice house.

I was thinking about making the blocks myself (more accurately buying the gear and supplies and having a laborer do it with my inspection), since the typical local block is such poor quality. I was reading about a gentleman living near Iloilo who bought some property in a field and had a pretty good narrative on his "hollow block" experience. He ended up having one of the local producers manufacture blocks to his specs (40 blocks per bag of concrete rather than the typical 70 blocks). http://goiloilo.com/our-house-project-cement-blocks/

Regarding "adding insulation" to the hollow block. How is that done? Any links?

Since you have construction experience did were you the general contractor or still hired one? If you acted as general contractor, how did you find quality subs?

DeezNuz
Thanks for the tips Big Bob. Nice house.

I was thinking about making the blocks myself (more accurately buying the gear and supplies and having a laborer do it with my inspection), since the typical local block is such poor quality. I was reading about a gentleman living near Iloilo who bought some property in a field and had a pretty good narrative on his "hollow block" experience. He ended up having one of the local producers manufacture blocks to his specs (40 blocks per bag of concrete rather than the typical 70 blocks). http://goiloilo.com/our-house-project-cement-blocks/

Since you have construction experience did were you the general contractor or still hired one? If you acted as general contractor, how did you find quality subs?

We hired a contractor to do all the major work. The important thing to consider in finding a contractor here in Phil, for each phase of the house is to be able to see the work they have done in the past. The reputable ones will be happy to refer you to past clients and would also have pictures of jobs they've done. If you don't know where to start...the best place is to go into any of the high end subdivisions, find a few of the hosues being built that you like and talk to the foreman. While on the site you can get a good idea of the quality of their work. You can then really see if they use more modern methods of construction. Example...the very good ones use power tools such as a air/electric chisels, the others would use a nail driven in to a PVC pipe and a hammer.

When it comes to things like the windows, carpenter for the wodden fixtures, ceiling tile, etc...I recommend you find your own versus using the guys the contractor recommends (they always would recommend their family members and sometimes they aren't that good). The contractor we hired has a brother that does electrical work was OK, but the cousin that does the carpentry work was terribly slow and the quality of the work wasn't that good. Note that most of the places you buy your building supplies can offer some good suggestions on the local talent and most companies can install themselves. For our windows, we used Kima Glass and they did all the installation (custom windows). The same went for the roofing tiles, they offered installation.

As for the hollow block. Definately make your own if you can find the formers. Most of the block you can buy here in Cebu use a terrible mixture of Portland, water and sand. Its cheaper to make, very pourous and weak. We always used Cement, Water, Sand, Rock mixture to make it a bit more dense, stronger and less pourous. As for the filler, use sand or the dirt dug out for the foundation. It's cheap and works well. Your house will be stronger, insulates from the heat much better and would keep out the noise from the traffic, cat in heat, roosters in the morning, dogs yapping, etc...

D_D

One thing I noticed here in the Phils is they fill solid the Hollow Block. Hollow Blocks are suppose to be left hollow. The air between is the insulator.

Did you read my post above ?

Using 3D panels you will have 2 inches of Styrofoam in the middle and 2 inches on of concrete covering the steel mesh. Using 3D panels will give you a much better insulation than hollow block.

The Phils are so way behind on Green Building construction... Hollow blocks are so 90's !

andy

what was the cost of building using these 3d panels. as i went on the website but it dos not show much or prices?

but the site does look nice?

DeezNuz
One thing I noticed here in the Phils is they fill solid the Hollow Block. Hollow Blocks are suppose to be left hollow. The air between is the insulator.

Using 3D panels you will have 2 inches of Styrofoam in the middle and 2 inches on of concrete covering the steel mesh. Using 3D panels will give you a much better insulation than hollow block.

The Phils are so way behind on Green Building construction... Hollow blocks are so 90's !

Hey man, there's nothing wrong with the 90's. ! I still wear a 90's hair dew. I even saw this guy sporting a mullet sitting at the Bo's coffee the other day. He seemed pretty confident regardless of how goofy he looked.

post-5388-1247661371_thumb.jpg

Actually, hollow blocks can be left hollow if they were made to the proper dimension. Here in the Philippines, they're half the size of the US type and weak as hell. Leaving them empty is ok should you like keeping the windows and doors open all the time. We built one of our houses in George using 8" hollow block and filled it with saw dust. Was a great insulator and help kept the sound of the cows grazing in the pasture next to the house out.

Typical US 8" Hollow Block

post-5388-1247660168_thumb.gif

I used the 4" shitty type they have here in the Philippines to build the sound proofing wall in my office at Sykes (we're situated right next to the Gen Set). Since they don't have 8-inch type, we spaced the 4" block about 5-inches from the wall, reinforced it with steel re-bar for support then filled the block with sand. When the power goes out and the generator kicks on, it's nice an tolerable to the point of being able to speak normally with our customers on the phone.

Now regarding the 3D panels. Im not versed with the stuff. They used it to build the Sykes building and since it's a large structure, needed to be reinforced with 18" wide I-Beams for support. Only a year later, the walls are cracking to hell, insulation property is terrible to the point that small bugs are able to make it through certain connection points. Last year they had to begin re-insulate the building by pasting on foam to the outside of the building because the heat came right through the walls (All the employees in the call center above us were complainging about it. Although, they ran out of budget and had stopped the project). I don't know how good the stuff is in residential applications, but I could see it being OK if you have the columns in the house built properly and used 'Concrete-O-Bond' :P all over each panel.

Damn...Phil has a good number of 'GREEN BUILDING' Techniques. Look at all the shanties in the squatter areas. People re-use plywood that have fallen off the trucks, pieces of cut up slipper to patch the holes in the walls and even old taurpoline Tanduay Rum banners for roofs. Even in the provinces you'll see people living in grass huts. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Can't get much greener than that...granted, should a storm pass through, they'd need to rebuild.

Edited by CebuSportFishing

Bukwali

Just as another building option I made this post back in 2007, I did cost the panels at the time and they did come out a little more expensive per m2 than 4" HCB, however I may use them in a project when I return in a few weeks, because the panels are relativly light I could use them as party walls over a non load bearing areas on the second floor.

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/inde...nsulated+panels

john

bret
Don't use hollow block.

I built my house using 3D panels.

Cheaper, Faster to install, better insulation rating, just as if not even stronger than hollow block.

They used the same technique for the new Cebu Doc building in the North Reclamation area.

Here is more info ....

http://www.tridipanel.com/

http://www.3dsmartstructures.com/products/tridi/index.html

http://www.3dsmartstructures.com/faq/

DD, I've gone through the links on the TriDanel .Looks similar to SIP panels (although sans wood products) that are commonly used for Timber Frame construction.

Have you or others used this system for a residential build in the Philippines?

Any contractors you are aware of that do residential/small building work using this product?

bret

Yep, I read your post on the pre-fab panels.

I thought for insulation you were referring to Hollow Block insulation method. I know hollow block can be filled with a Grout mixture made on-site (not to be confused with grout for tiles). I see others use various other substances. For a strong wall, seems rebar and grout is preferred. I assume if the wall is not load bearing due to post and beam construction, then it is not necessary to reinforce and fill hollow block, except with maybe insulating material.