Sign in to follow this  
udonthani

kano

lexus
That may be correct. Thai is an Indo-European language based on Sanskrit, so it's closely related to Old Persian.

On this level of knowledge I rest my case :rolleyes:

Apple
as far as I understand it, this word is somewhat similar to the Thai word farang, but unlike the Japanese word gaijin, in that it refers to foreigners, but only white foreigners - whereas gaijin means anybody who is not Japanese, not just white people.

in Thailand, the first influx of white foreigners started to happen in the 1960s, and these white foreigners composed to a considerable extent US servicemen.

the Thais noticed that some of the 'farangs' were not farangs at all in the sense that they had white-colored skin. They were black. These were referred to as farang dam. Black farangs.

is their equivalent expressions in Filipine languages? Did Filipinos notice that not all kanos are white as well?

to put it down right straight and simple, i think "kano" comes from the word amerikano (american) but the word kano is used as a general term in calling male foreigners with white skin regardless if they are american, australian, french, dutch, canadian or whatever, as long as they have white skin then its a "kano". we normally dont use the word kano on chinese, japanese, thai, africans or those who does not bare the usual features of a kano like white skin, long nose, bloned hair, blue eyes. and the word kano is mainly used in addressing a male foreigner, i dont know whats the female equivalent to it, if theres any.

Edited by Apple

volstateguy
I was thinking it meant "man who makes woman's panties fall down"...at least that's what I assumed they meant when calling me kano.

:cool_01: Good one!

Joe Kano

Oh, now I get it. I thought they were all calling me "Kano" everywhere I went because they somehow knew it was my last name.

megayogi

KANO means white foreigner.

NEGRO means black foreigner.

most filipinos are not really interested where the foreign people came from so they just call them KANO if they are white and NEGRO if they are black, for short.

udonthani

kano is used as a general term for male foreigners with white skin.

I was under the impression that kano doesn't mean 'white men only' but also applies to white-skinned women, as farang does in Thailand. I may be wrong but I think I've heard Filipinos referring to white women as kanos. The Thais habitually refer to the white women tourists as farangs same as men. Difference is in the Philippines, hardly any white women ever turn up there by comparison, whereas millions of white women visit Thailand.