Sign in to follow this  
udonthani

kano

udonthani

as far as I understand it, this word is somewhat similar to the Thai word farang, but unlike the Japanese word gaijin, in that it refers to foreigners, but only white foreigners - whereas gaijin means anybody who is not Japanese, not just white people.

in Thailand, the first influx of white foreigners started to happen in the 1960s, and these white foreigners composed to a considerable extent US servicemen.

the Thais noticed that some of the 'farangs' were not farangs at all in the sense that they had white-colored skin. They were black. These were referred to as farang dam. Black farangs.

is their equivalent expressions in Filipine languages? Did Filipinos notice that not all kanos are white as well?

Bob Ward

It's an ethnic slur

Kano : (Philippines) an American, contraction of the Tagalog word "Amerikano"

Angie
as far as I understand it, this word is somewhat similar to the Thai word farang, but unlike the Japanese word gaijin, in that it refers to foreigners, but only white foreigners - whereas gaijin means anybody who is not Japanese, not just white people.

in Thailand, the first influx of white foreigners started to happen in the 1960s, and these white foreigners composed to a considerable extent US servicemen.

the Thais noticed that some of the 'farangs' were not farangs at all in the sense that they had white-colored skin. They were black. These were referred to as farang dam. Black farangs.

is their equivalent expressions in Filipine languages? Did Filipinos notice that not all kanos are white as well?

If it were some medicine, KANO would be the generic term used to refer to foreigners. Yeah, that is the short for AMERIKANO which older people use to describe a foreigner. They tend to apply that word to anyone who's got white skin and is a foreigner regardless of their nationality. Unfortunately, they don't use the word KANO when they see someone who's got dark skin, depending on the prominent physical features, they would call them NEGRO or BOMBAY (that is if they look like Hindus.)

However, younger people these days are more careful in identifying a foreigner, they are now asking for the person's nationality and are not jumping into calling him KANO coz he might not be KANO.

thebob

Gaijin in Japanese, literally means outside person. Gai = outside, Jin = person, this word can be used for Japanese people who are outside of a particular group, and can be considered derogatory in certain situations.

Gaikokujin is the more polite term for a foreigner. Literally, "Outside country Person".

For a white foreigner the word Hakujin , literally means "White person".

liquido

"in Thailand, the first influx of white foreigners started to happen in the 1960s, and these white foreigners composed to a considerable extent US servicemen."

An I was one of Uncle Sams boys at that time.....what a differance Thailand was at that time....................

ayala

Kangaroo Guano :shocked:

katja06

Like what they said, KANO is a slang word for American but they apply this term to everyone no matter you are from Finland or from America as long as they see you white/light skin they will call you that term.

Jay

Karen told me once that the proper term is "Amerikano", and "kano" is derogatory. I sometimes use "kano" to describe myself, and she says that's OK: something like young black guys calling themselves the n-word, but it's not OK if someone else (a white person) calls them that. Apparently when a younger Filipino says "kano" it's usually in conjunction with other insulting words.

JamesMusslewhite

Yes but any white from any country acts up and does something stupid here than, it gets blamed on AmeriKANO's.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite

Forefall

It means sexy beast. If it's directed at me. For everyone else, I'm not sure. :shocked:

bret
It means sexy beast. If it's directed at me. For everyone else, I'm not sure. :D

I was thinking it meant "man who makes woman's panties fall down"...at least that's what I assumed they meant when calling me kano.

lexus
"in Thailand, the first influx of white foreigners started to happen in the 1960s, and these white foreigners composed to a considerable extent US servicemen."

"farang" actually comes from Thai for "Frenchman" and is from colonial times long before US servicemen, as they prefer to call their military. So in Thailand You are French and in Philippines AmeriKANO. Or then it is Forefall :D

udonthani

farang" actually comes from Thai for "Frenchman

common misconception. Nobody is exactly sure where 'farang' comes from. The French obviously like to think that it refers to them, but in actual fact they were latecomers to Siam. The Portuguese and Dutch beat them to it by decades.

in any case the word comes from 'Franks', not 'France', and the Frankish kingdoms were more German than French.

farang may easily have come from the Iranian farangi. The Iranians traded with the Siamese and settled in Ayuthaya long before any of the Europeans did, and the Thais might easily have simply borrowed the expression Persians had always used to refer to Europeans. Hindu and Urdu also use a very similar word to farang to describe Europeans.

Jay
farang" actually comes from Thai for "Frenchman

common misconception. Nobody is exactly sure where 'farang' comes from. The French obviously like to think that it refers to them, but in actual fact they were latecomers to Siam. The Portuguese and Dutch beat them to it by decades.

in any case the word comes from 'Franks', not 'France', and the Frankish kingdoms were more German than French.

farang may easily have come from the Iranian farangi. The Iranians traded with the Siamese and settled in Ayuthaya long before any of the Europeans did, and the Thais might easily have simply borrowed the expression Persians had always used to refer to Europeans. Hindu and Urdu also use a very similar word to farang to describe Europeans.

That may be correct. Thai is an Indo-European language based on Sanskrit, so it's closely related to Old Persian. Or, there were Arab traders all over the place in the old days and they may have gotten the term from them: Muslims called all Europeans "Franks", due to the Crusades.

The English were called "feringee" by the Muslim hill tribes from what's now Pakistan but was then part of India.

broden

well someone had to post it

n8705.jpg