Dangerous / Safest areas of Cebu City

smokey

Jim coming for a visit to the Philippines cost at least US 1,500 and then all the other hassles and if your looking to pick up girls cheap this is the place but if your looking to meet the ONE taking her downtown will not make a great vacation i have spent lots of time downtown and just dont see it the way you do... Happy to live in my subdivision ... My wife is a local all her life and SHE dont like downtown either so to say all Filipinos love down town is a real stretch I would live downtown if i had to but if i could chose downtown is on the very bottom of my list

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• DeezNuz

• Bob Ward

• Paul

USMC-Retired
Okay, some people say Colon is unsafe. Other people say Fuente is unsafe. For me, I would walk anywhere in the city, day or night. Anyone who has known me for years, knows that I have had one incident where a guy (and his sidekick) pulled a gun on me and JJ (my former wife) late one night. That incident happened in Camputhaw, Cebu City. That is a few blocks from the intersection of Gorordo and Escario. To give you an idea where this intersection is, Golden Peak Hotel is on the southeast corner of Gorordo and Escario.

Now, what is the safest, or most dangerous place in the city for you?

Ok Paul. I do not weigh 250+ pounds and look like if some attacked me I would squish them. You have arms bigger then my legs so that it self is an advantage.

As for safety. I dare anyone to walk the streets of 5th ward in Houston at night. Is that safe? With any city of this size due diligence will pay off.

I was robbed just recently at gun point. Why well I stopped in a stupid place. I was not aware of my surroundings. I broke every rule in the book. Does that make this place unsafe. No if I did what I did in Houston the same crap would have happen.

Here are the details:

I stopped by SM mall not in the parking lot. I had the windows down at dusk. I was texting on my phone and just sitting there. I was not watching what was happening around me. A man walked up from behind the car (or so I think) he approach the window of the car with a gun pointed it at my head and asked for my wallet. I dropped the phone to the floor handed him my wallet. I did not have my fake wallet with me another mistake I made. So off he went down the road 3 thousand pesos richer and all my Id's. However looking back what did I do wrong. I was close to a squatter area known for robberies. I had my windows down in my car. I was not observing my surroundings. What I did right was stay calm. I did not panic and just handed them over. In 20 years of the Marines and in 3 combat zones I should have been more diligent. So can it happen yes it can. However this could have happen in any major city in any country in the world. The reason I say I dropped the phone is that was worth more then any money I had with me. It is a 25,000 peso phone. LOL I guess I got away with one...

Bob Ward
Rookies should not venture into downtown at night alone, period!!!

I should expound to say that the immediate few blocks around Metro Gaisano (away from Carbon) are OK till about 11. Even then it's not that bad, but if someone is new, they could get into trouble because they don't know the ropes.

Just because Poby likes that area does not mean he's wrong. He just likes the local environment versus the uptown scene and I agree on some levels. Some people fit into the local culture and some don't. It's simply a matter of choice and a state of mind. Personally I transcend the boundaries of the "safe zones" quite easily and mix well.

My immediate problem is that I dress a bit more upscale than my usual (blend in with the local attire) for my job so I get taken for a tourist now and then. But when I whip out my vast Cebuano vocabulary (hmmm), they quickly get the picture.

There is no need to knock people just because they enjoy a different style of life than living in a compound or gated community. We each have our own ways of doing things!

mattwilkie

Truth is its all down to minimising your risks.. So far in the last couple of months there has been a priest killed in Talisay, another house robbery where the entire family got killed. In my area in the town square there is a few houses one was robbed at gunpoint around lunchtime in the middle of the week, not far from there the LBC was also robbed at gunpoint after its neighbouring motorcycle repair shop moved premises...

Very few people know where I actually live even fewer have been into my house Filipino or Foreigners and there is a reason for that and its all to do with safety. When im out im dressed down and driving an old Jeepy or battered Multicab for the same reason its all to do with blending in. Unless I can get an ex-RAF Police Range Rover into the Philippines which does carry bullet proof glass and armour plating I am simply not going to be getting a shiny new vehicle to draw attention.

Colon street and all other areas I dont think are a high risk unless you actually draw attention from people such as showing money or obvious you dont belong there or know where you are going. Same thing can happen anywhere in the world if you wander into a bad neighbourhood. Where my family come from in Scotland the area made the news headlines because of 7 murders over one weekend. Generally there are 2-3 a week there but the 2-3 doesnt make it a story. I can wonder around there as long as I dont open my mouth if im on my own simply because my accent isnt the same as what are my old community. You wouldnt get served in a bar for example.

Just be careful.. USMC-Retired you done the right thing... its the what ifs that could have got you killed.. me I dont carry a wallet and I do split up my money in my pockets. Im glad you got away ok.. P3,000 is pennies you only have one life..

smokey

Very few people know where I actually live even fewer have been into my house Filipino or Foreigners and there is a reason for that and its all to do with safety. When im out im dressed down and driving an old Jeepy or battered Multicab for the same reason its all to do with blending in. Unless I can get an ex-RAF Police Range Rover into the Philippines which does carry bullet proof glass and armour plating I am simply not going to be getting a shiny new vehicle to draw attention.

Why dress down just let your wife gets a gun lic. I personally did not work an entire life time to retire and act and look ragged. I guess the real safe foreigner is the one who wears dirty shorts a tank top and flip flops and looks like he has a 10 day beard and to be extra safe he colors his nose bright red and acts like he is begging money from the locals... oh a perfect retirement heaven on earth. AS to USMC that was the right move to make and the smart move but my next thing would of been to contact the police and hint that I would be very very appreciative if they bad guy was caught and punished firmly

Edited by robert51
DeezNuz

Well lets do a spin on things...

I've got my Aunts Pakistani money grubbing husband coming to Cebu. I plan on picking him up at the airport.

What's the most dangerous place in Cebu I can drop him off? :rolleyes::)

smokey
Well lets do a spin on things...

I've got my Aunts Pakistani money grubbing husband coming to Cebu. I plan on picking him up at the airport.

What's the most dangerous place in Cebu I can drop him off? :rolleyes::)

buy him a knock off Rolex and book him a room downtown case closed

DeezNuz
buy him a knock off Rolex and book him a room downtown case closed

Too much of an investment on my part.

Was debating on dropping the a-hole off in the Squatter town near the piers ar night. Or somewhere in the mountains between Barilli and Carcar then see if the jack-arse can find his way back.

smokey

If you ride jeeps a lot and hang out downtown i can suggest this product to help you prevent pickpockets

Edited by robert51
DeezNuz
If you ride jeeps a lot and hang out downtown i can suggest this product to help you prevent pickpockets

Can't make out the image (too small).

Kind of make me think of the Six-Day Underwear concept...

Six day underwear has three leg holes.

Directions:

1. Wear for day one

2. Rotate using the unused leg hole and wear for day two

3. Rotate in the same direction by one leg hole and wear for day three

4. Turn underwear inside out

5. Repeat steps 1, 2, and 3 for days four, five, and six.

Me and my family visited Cebu once. We stayed at Maribago Resort for 2 nights and never went out of the resort at all.

After the 2 night stay, we transfered to a Hotel in the City, Ramada Hotel, where there is a supermarket below. I was really afraid to walk too far away from the Hotel B) . Although I am a Filipino, since I am not familiar with the place, I was so afraid.

Luckily no bad incident occured. Maybe next time around, I'll go further and explore the beautiful city... in daytime :D .

Move and don't pick him up at the airport B)

Me and my family visited Cebu once. We stayed at Maribago Resort for 2 nights and never went out of the resort at all.

After the 2 night stay, we transfered to a Hotel in the City, Ramada Hotel, where there is a supermarket below. I was really afraid to walk too far away from the Hotel B) . Although I am a Filipino, since I am not familiar with the place, I was so afraid.

Luckily no bad incident occured. Maybe next time around, I'll go further and explore the beautiful city... in daytime :D .

Maribago Blue Water Resort is a beautiful place. I was there on a day trip a few weeks ago: my wife's company had an outing there. It'd probably be way too mahal for me, but I didn't mind enjoying myself as long as Sr. Arcenas was paying for it. :lol:

I'm not familiar with that hotel or its area, but you were probably wise in not going too far away from it. Not that there was probably any danger, but you might have gotten lost. It's the same when you're new in any city: it's probably best to stick to places you know for the most part and when yu do venture out to explore, go with a local.

I'm looking forward to moving to Cebu where its cheaper to live and staying at the Century Hotel where I think I will be safer than in my own city. Here its a 20 minute walk to the mall and movies if I can afford the $11 admission. There are some no go places here where you can be robbed and assaulted, even killed by idiot punks and I don't even feel safe in my own suburb late at night there are punks who just like to hurt you for the fun. There are dangerous people everywhere.

loosehead

Are you talking about Brisbane Art ? I go there on business and stay close to the building I have to go for meetings which is on top of the train station at Fortitude Valley. I've never felt at all unsafe in that area and always carry my wallet aussie style in my back pocket, even late at night. But i'm sure there are dodgy suburbs just like there are here in perth.

I stayed at the Century Hotel in the 80's as a single bloke but have always stayed at the Kiwi Lodge in Mabolo since it opened in the late 90's as it is great for a family and we are treated like family by the owners. When I visited the downtown area this year i was impressed that it seemed much safer than it was many years ago. There are less dickheads there than the area around Osmena. Even in the old days I had no problems downtown but it is still in a different league to brisbane and you need to be careful and get to know the area at different times of the day. There is some very good advice in other threads from Admin, Bob Ward, Poby and Jim Sibbick guys who have had many years of experience living in Cebu.

Smart move though moving to Cebu. Aussie is boring in comparison. We will be doing the same in a few years. We have a place in Dumaguete but it gets boring there and we are drawn to the buzz of Cebu and the live music scene there.

Good luck with your move.

Edited by loosehead