Balikbayan Visa, or Privilege?

Lets not get into an ethics issue as far as some foreigner getting the 1 year balikbayan privilage or not.

Since I still have not recieved a 13a visa yet, I have but 2 possible options available.

1. Ask for nothing when I go through NAIA imigrations with my wife after returning from an international flight ... and get the "ethical" 21 day tourist stamp

2. Ask for the "non-ethical" balikbayan 1 year stamp and have maybe a 75% chance of the imigrations guy giving it to me.

Option 1 requires me to get the 'pain in the ass' visa extensions every 2 months, and pay the cost of these extensions for the next year.

Options 2 requires me to do NOTHING for the next year after getting this balikbayon privilage.

Folks .... The last thing on my mind is an ethics problem while standing in front of the NAIA imigrations guy! I will take the option than causes me the least amount of hazzle for the next 12 months everytime!

And no ... I don't cheat on my US Federal income taxes by the way

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ayala

• JamesMusslewhite

• Bob Ward

• Paul

JamesMusslewhite
James, IMO you are getting all upset without a great reason. While I do not fit into the category that you describe of AH's because my wife and I travel back and forth to the Philippines every year from the states and she is a US citizen, we do have a lot of friends who are married to Philippine ladies and who live in the Philippines and spend their earnings derived from their home countries in the Philippines, and if I am not mistaken, that money also goes to help the economy of the Philippines.

I think what is important is that, it is a foreigner married to a citizen or former citizen of the Philippines and that the money they spend in the Philippines is derived outside the Philippines, because I think the purpose of the law was to help the country and in recognition of the sacrifices that former citizens have made for their country, and many ladies that marry foreigners and live within the country are also making a sacrifice of sorts, because they are partially giving up their own way of life and dedicating their life to their foreign husbands, and then they are often looked down upon by their countrymen and women for doing it.

Sorry to say this, but I also feel that insulting fellow expats is just plain wrong to do because of what you as a foreigner think, and what is important is what the govt of the Philippines and Filipinos thinks is the correct thing to do.

Sorry not this time chief, I am not upset at the least. I just do not understand why I have to discuss this over and over when the laws back my statements. I could tell you were the one that was upset by my comments. You could be just wanting to argue for the sake of arguing. You know my wife is a Balikbayan, and I could tell from your comments that your wife was a Balikbayan; Ayale posted twice a qoute meant only for Balikbayans. I wonder if his wife is Balikbayanor is he one of those people skirting the sysytem? He tries to represent himself as a husband of a Balikbayan. My family are here and trying to process our paperwork to stay in the Philippines. My comments were meant only for those that are using the statues that our wives have rightful earned. They know that they are not entitled, yet they act as if they are. They do it so they can get around the system, to commit a fraud and will one day burden you, because the Philipines is starting to crack down on this activities. You are therefor arguing for those abusing the system? Come on you are just rednecking me? You can not be argueing for those who are bending the laws. It would then be wrong of you to argue this point, yet you are. I am the bad person, I somehow must be angry, because I must be wrong because their actions must be right? hahaha To do that would make you intellectually dishonest and then I could not comment with you no further hahaha. Surely a honest man is not going to argue with me about people rights to take advantage of Bilikbayan Privilege, when they have not earned that right. You are only funning right? hahaha OK you got me

If you are serious then I just want to understand a man who will want to argue just to argue. Why a man living here in the Philippines has to keep explaining himself to someone living in the US, over such a non issue. Why some people are so petty as to argue semantics over what is clearly written by the laws of the Philippines. Ayala even quoted twice what was meant only for Balikbayans. You are arguing to me why? Do you support those that are abusing a system that they are not entitled? You think that the Philippines Gov. passed a law in Congress so those who are undeserving can use it to get around the laws of the Philippines? So they can avoid paying their required extension fees and paperwork filings which are set up by the Philippines Gov. So the Philippines Government would not receive it's required revenues. I am only asking so I can fully understand who it is exactly that I am suppose to be offending in Ayala's quote:

"Sorry to say this, but I also feel that insulting fellow expats is just plain wrong to do because of what you as a foreigner think, and what is important is what the govt of the Philippines and Filipinos thinks is the correct thing to do."

The laws state what is the correct thing to do, I only quoted these laws and based my comments using these laws as my guideline. So what law abiding expat has this fellow law abiding expat suppose to have insulted? What I am tired of is the people who are on these topics that just argue to argue. They tell people they have issues, when they are the one with issues. They lay down a petty argument, and force people to have to explain what should not have to be explained. When they do not like the answer or they realize they are on the wrong side of the argument they persist. They just can not shut up and let it go, no not these people they persist on. In Texas we call them "REDNECKS", and they are frustrating to talk to. You hit them with logic and they just find fault. They tell you you have a problem, when it is them that suffer the affection. they call that condition "Projection". I stand by my statements they are based on fact and the Laws of the Land, and I will not argue with one that will not place their facts on the table. What are you arguing for? Are you arguing for scammers and opportunist rights to get around Philippine laws? Are you just arguing to argue? The Privileges are those earned by our wives sacrifice, and given to them by their Government. Privlages can be given or taken away. I am living here now and I will not need the Balikbayan status to stay here any more. You will be still requiring it, and I hope for your sake it is still in place. That if or when you choose to move here to live that the requirements will not be compounded with more steps and paperwork, than when we moved here. If you do move here and the system burdens you with more steps and procedures, or worse greatly restricted; be sure to thank those buddies of yours for messing up the works for you. I will waste no more time with this topic because it has turned into a joke.............have a nice day, I am going out in our boat today and fish with my son and wife, the ocean is blue the weather is clear. Good day for fishing........Life is good here in the Philippines

Edited by JamesMusslewhite

Mr.Lee happens to be 100% correct.And the law for balikbayans argued by you is totally incorrect.You have changed your long post 4 times now,I don't think insulting Mr.Lee and other expats gets your incorrect message any more incorrect.

Edited by ayala

Ayala thank you, and James, I really do not care what the law says, I care how the people who enforce the law decide it should be administered. There is always the letter of the law and then there is the intent of the law and from what I have seen, many BI people seem to go by what they feel was the intent of the law and that was to allow people married to their countrymen and women, to stay in the country and be able to spend their foreign earned and saved money.

I would be an advocate to get the law changed to allow all persons who are married to Philippines citizens to get balibayan visa privileges, but I am not saying that just to argue with anyone, I am saying it just because I think it would be the correct thing for the government to do.

Now do I or James have a right to tell the government of the Philippines or the BI people what they should do or how they should do their jobs, Hell NO.

Sorry James, someday you and I will have to sit down over a beer or coffee in Cebu and discuss it like gentlemen, but ranting and raving is not what I am doing, but it does seem like you are getting too upset by something neither of us has control over.

And I am not from Texas, but I do live in Florida part of the year, and Cebu the rest of the year. So I guess you could call me a CebuKano :lol:;)

JamesMusslewhite
Mr.Lee happens to be 100% correct.And the law for balikbayans argued by you is totally incorrect.You have changed your long post 4 times now,I don't think insulting Mr.Lee and other expats gets your incorrect message any more incorrect.

The laws are there for everyone to read. I edited my Post 4 times to correct mistakes and grammar mistakes in my post, and I mixed his post with yours and had to correct the mistakes, and correct the errors. I did not call Mr. Lee a Redneck, I only described what we in Texas call the act and the person that just argues just to argue, because I was talking more about you. You and Mr. Lee have to decide if that description describes you are not. His points of arguments were well taken, and well written and does not probably properly describe him at all. He can decide that for himself as an intelligent adult.

You on the other hand this probably describes you very well, since you seem to take such offense to the term. My other term he highlighted in his rebuttal: "The type of selfish asshole that thinks somehow he is entitled to capitalize on the sacrifices that your and my wife made" This might just apply to you also. I do not know that, you will have to decide that for yourself also. I have never seen this much thin-skined, you hurt my feeling kind of crap on any other Expat site and I am on 4 different expat sites. they are good forums were people can express their true thoughts, without the use of childish behavior. You boys here just can not let any post that you do not agree with stand, you have to just nic-pick and complain, and scream about hurt feels as you throw out your insults too. This website does not allow for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas in open debat. This membership seems overloaded with posters who just lash out at anything they do not agree with. It is unplesent at best and is totally uncalled for. There seems to a problem with samrt-asses on this site, I always stay on topic, but I will lash out at those who choose to attack the messenger and not the message. This gang up mentality by men who are acting up just like boys. There are many here who act as if the are intelegent but do not have the basic skills to handle a debate. They attack a message not by stating verifiable facts, no they just go for the below the belt shot, then scream foul. They can not attack the message but can only attack the messenger. They can not stand it if the messenger resorts to their method. They just scream foul, and get their feeling hurt. Too bad for you. I try to write so that only those that resemble my remarks are offended, those who do not resemble them should not be offended. If I offended you with any of my remarks or comments, than may I say that I am glad to be an assisteance, because you certinally do not care if you insult another person either. You do it quite regularly on a wide rage of topics, and not everyone is going to agree with you. That is called Freedom, and I have the right to make comments without the baggering by little minds. (if you resemble that one you can get angry too). If you can not play well with others than stop playing stupid mind games, you do not have the minds or the temperment for it. Trut me if I want to insult you, you will know it because I will call you by name.

Ayala, you do not play fair, you bully and whine, you are just too thin-skined. your rebuttals are flemmsy at best and you are no one to be talking about name calling or insulting, to any members on this site. You are one of the biggest culprets of that type of behavior. You provolk not debate

Lash out? :lol: A half dozen valliums will do you well.

JamesMusslewhite
Ayala thank you, and James, I really do not care what the law says, I care how the people who enforce the law decide it should be administered. There is always the letter of the law and then there is the intent of the law and from what I have seen, many BI people seem to go by what they feel was the intent of the law and that was to allow people married to their countrymen and women, to stay in the country and be able to spend their foreign earned and saved money.

I would be an advocate to get the law changed to allow all persons who are married to Philippines citizens to get balibayan visa privileges, but I am not saying that just to argue with anyone, I am saying it just because I think it would be the correct thing for the government to do.

Now do I or James have a right to tell the government of the Philippines or the BI people what they should do or how they should do their jobs, Hell NO.

Sorry James, someday you and I will have to sit down over a beer or coffee in Cebu and discuss it like gentlemen, but ranting and raving is not what I am doing, but it does seem like you are getting too upset by something neither of us has control over.

And I am not from Texas, but I do live in Florida part of the year, and Cebu the rest of the year. So I guess you could call me a CebuKano :lol:;)

Thank you, and please understand that I was not calling you a Redneck. I find you post intelligent and thought provocative. You only attack a message and never the messenger. Many on this site can not make such claims. I would gladly sit down with you and talk on any topic you chose. I can talk with intelligent person who understand that one can agree to disagree. You always keep your shots clean, and use true rebuttal in your debate. I never get upset with the free exchange of ideas. I only get angry with those that feel that they have the right to bully and restrict, and only allow ideas that they agree with. I have never seen that in any of your post. You will find that I am a pleasant tolerant individual, and can talk on a wide range of subject. I am a road scholar, and have seen and done so many things.

I am fortunate to have been in the position to be able to retire on my 50th birthday and enjoy life to the fullest. I am honest and blunt, thick-skinned and flexible; but will speak out against what I feel is wrong. You will always know where you stand with me, because I will never say behind you back, what I have not already said in your face. Hope to see you sometime.

Bob Ward
I edited my Post 4 times to correct mistakes and grammar mistakes in my post,

In that case I suggest you go back four more times! :lol: Paragraphs, punctuation, grammar and spelling just must not be your gig! ;)

Ayala, it wasn't the topic. It's the silly ass way you guys argue over a moot point. The simple fact remains that Filipino laws and statutes are written ambiguously, probably on purpose. If they were written very clearly then how would they make any money doing a different interpretation from office to office and person to person.

JamesMusslewhite
In that case I suggest you go back four more times! :lol: Paragraphs, punctuation, grammar and spelling just must not be your gig! ;)

Ayala, it wasn't the topic. It's the silly ass way you guys argue over a moot point. The simple fact remains that Filipino laws and statutes are written ambiguously, probably on purpose. If they were written very clearly then how would they make any money doing a different interpretation from office to office and person to person.

You are probably right, sometimes 8 more times still might not do the trick :D:D:D , and I know that I am a little gruff for some of the fellows sometimes. I really try to behave, as long as they play nice. I know we all have to play in this sandbox together. I promise that I will not try not to hurt anybody :D:D .

You are also right that it is a silly argument, stupid even, especially sense you point out the ambiguous writing of the laws and conflicting information from Gov website to website, and office to office.

Your better at the contest then me Bob.James you came in first place. :unsure:

JamesMusslewhite
Your better at the contest then me Bob.James you came in first place. :unsure:

Sorry it should never be a contest, I do come off gruff and I am too blunt for a lot of people. If we met in person I believe we would get along grandly. The problem with Forums is you can not see the eyes or the tone in which a topic is typed. Face to face conversations help sort out misunderstandings so much better. Please do not judge me by my post, I will always offer an olive branch. If I have been an ass then I apologize.

Sorry it should never be a contest, I do come off gruff and I am too blunt for a lot of people. If we met in person I believe we would get along grandly. The problem with Forums is you can not see the eyes or the tone in which a topic is typed. Face to face conversations help sort out misunderstandings so much better. Please do not judge me by my post, I will always offer an olive branch. If I have been an ass then I apologize.

I agree James and should'nt be taken too seriously.If I had a choice between someone who lives by the book and you to cover my back I certainly think you'd be the better choice.I hope to meet you someday in Cebu.BTW I think your grammar was ok :P

JamesMusslewhite

I do believe that if a man moves here and marries a woman that a special visa should apply. That that person should be given a 1 year visa, which should be extendable an additional 1 year (Just like a Balikbayan Stamp is) so they can process their Residency visa. I think that is only right. They do seem to be punishing the husbands of Filipino citizens. There should be special provisions in place. Wish to know is there was a way to lobby for that right, and how can it be organized? There must be a thousand or more people with this same problem.

The process my wife had to go through to come to the US where we were married 23 years ago. It was just as aggravating, even more so, and required more paperwork, time, and expense. That is just Government Bureaucracy.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
Jim Sibbick
:P

Paul,I'll bet neither you nor Jim ever had a "balikbayan visa stamp-privelge-yup I'm here" in your passport.

BTW-I did not start this topic-Paul must be a northern yank. :)

There is a reason that Paul and I have the same opinion on this. We used to be partners in a tourism business that assisted foreigners with Philippine visas and visa extensions.

However, don't let that put you off you off telling us how visas work in the Philippines.

You can see one of my old balikbayan stamps on this page of my website.

http://www.bigjimsphilippinesexperience.co...sa_examples.htm

Although I am not likely to qualify as a Balikbayan ever again as I have no plan to ever remarry.

Regards; Jim

You missed the point Jim.And I do not want to try to pull seniority on you with 5 years in the philippines and knowing many dozens of foreigners.You have more time in country.My replys were never about visa or privelege.Its about"Yup-I'm here -here for the year plus and I don't care what they want to call it.If someone asks about balikbayan visa I know what they mean,if they say balikbayan privelges-I know what they mean-same same-I'm here for at least a year.I will now exit the contest due to lack of seniority. :P

edit-left the m off many

Edited by ayala