Balikbayan Visa, or Privilege?

loosehead

We have travelled to the Phils 8-10 times with our kids in the past 15 years. My wife is a filipina. Wife and kids are on aussie passports, i'm on a new zealand passport (stubborn bugger). We always fly into Cebu either from Singapore or Hong Kong. Every time we have all been given balikbayan visas (or privelages) without question. At times it has been less than a year since our last visit. We always carry my wifes old Filipino passport which expired 20 years ago and our marriage certificate but have never been asked for either.

We always have return tickets but have never been asked for them. My understanding is, it is more likely to be the arlines at the point of departure that make sure you have a return or onward ticket and with the e-tickets these days I'm not sure if our airlines have checked this or not. We've never stayed for more than a year and I haven't paid for a visa since I got married in 1986.

Edited by loosehead
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ayala

• JamesMusslewhite

• Bob Ward

• Paul

JamesMusslewhite

My wife, of 23 years, received her American citizen 9 years ago. She decided to move back to the Philippines so she could take care of a family farm, and take care of her aging parents. Our son who was born and raised in the US, needed to live here so he could learn the language and culture since he was a dual citizen. We moved here in October of last year and moved in the area just outside Surigao City. Upon entry in Cebu the customs stamped our passports each with the Balikbayan Stamp. It is a red stamp with B.B. written in ink pen along with a date one year past our entry date. I have 1 year to process my paperwork, but my Balikbayan stamp can be reissued as an extension, for a period of one more year. This actually makes it a 2 year privilege. My wife and son both processed their paperwork for their dual citizenship, which was a very fast and inexpensive process. I have just about collected all the necessary requirements for the paperwork to apply for my Residency and should be filing this by the end of next month. The balikbayan stamp is designed to allow my family ample time to process all the paperwork that is required for my wife's family to settle in the Philippines. It is a privilege afforded her as a returning home Philippine citizen, and is a reward and an incentive to get Filipinos to repatriate into the country of their birth. I am only a beneficiary of the Balikbayan status my wife has earned. A Balikbayan is a Filipino citizen who has been outside of the Philippines for a period no less than yaer. Some foreigners have been taking advantage of a loophole in the system, by flying for a few days outside the Philippines and returning to get the Balikbayan stamp. By doing this they have thwarted fees and paperwork they would nave otherwise would have been required to obligate. The Philippines Immigration is now cracking down on the loose usage of the Balikbayan stamps, so they who do not truly deserve this stamp will have to fulfill their true obligations to the Philippine government.

a.) It is very simple is you wife or husband been living outside the Philippines and returning to the Philipines which they are citizens? Then they are Balikbayans and are truely allowed the Balikbayan Privilege.

b.) Is the spouse and children moving to the Philippines accompanied by this returning Filipino citizen, then they are allowed to fall under this Balikbayan privialge. Only if accompanied by the Balikbayan.

c.) If your Filipino spouse has not been out of the country for a period extending beyond 1 year, they are not Balikbayans

d.) If you have received a Balikbayan stamp traveling with a non-Balikbayan spouse, then you were taking advantage and the Philippines is correcting this problem.

The Philippines was trying to help relax the process so the Balikbayans could move here with their families, but now due to foreigners taking advantage of a privilege they were not deserving, the process will now have to be revamped and tightly controlled. This will now make it harder for those that the system was designed for. The Balikbayans earned this privilege.

See? That is another thing you have wrong. I never said you started anything. The only thing I said was, when you get something in your mind that you believe to be correct, even showing you proof does not change your mind. B) ;)

Learn, grasshopper, learn.

"That is another thing you have wrong. I never said you started anything." :P:P:P THE THREAD MASTER PO THE THREAD.You began this thread with ayala as the originator :P If you had read my post comprehensively you would understand-I was not questioning anything to do with technical language such as visa or privelege-I was saying-its a play on words-if someone here asks a question about a balikbayan visa or balikbanyan privelege we all know what they are asking about.

Airport manila-I's is arriving wit da wife and kids-Mr.Customs man can I's gits me one a dose priveleges pleeze?HUH?Unsa?Dem balikbayan privelge tings.Unsa.Balikbayan Visa stamps-OH-ok Joe-now I understand. :P

Paul,I's is not one of dem thar northern yanks-I's was born in suthern Vermont. :P

Edited by ayala

http://www.philippineconsulate-sf.org/consular_visa.htm#5

The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001 that, "All Immigration Officers at authorised ports of entry shall grant the benefits and privileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every time they enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel". This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of the Balikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of times they enter the country within a year.

So,then,how are these folks taking advantage of balikbayan priveleges if they should leave within a year and do some travelling and then return to the Philippines balikbayan,when this is the law?

My wife, of 23 years, received her American citizen 9 years ago. She decided to move back to the Philippines so she could take care of a family farm, and take care of her aging parents. Our son who was born and raised in the US, needed to live here so he could learn the language and culture since he was a dual citizen. We moved here in October of last year and moved in the area just outside Surigao City. Upon entry in Cebu the customs stamped our passports each with the Balikbayan Stamp. It is a red stamp with B.B. written in ink pen along with a date one year past our entry date. I have 1 year to process my paperwork, but my Balikbayan stamp can be reissued as an extension, for a period of one more year. This actually makes it a 2 year privilege. My wife and son both processed their paperwork for their dual citizenship, which was a very fast and inexpensive process. I have just about collected all the necessary requirements for the paperwork to apply for my Residency and should be filing this by the end of next month. The balikbayan stamp is designed to allow my family ample time to process all the paperwork that is required for my wife's family to settle in the Philippines. It is a privilege afforded her as a returning home Philippine citizen, and is a reward and an incentive to get Filipinos to repatriate into the country of their birth. I am only a beneficiary of the Balikbayan status my wife has earned. A Balikbayan is a Filipino citizen who has been outside of the Philippines for a period no less than yaer. Some foreigners have been taking advantage of a loophole in the system, by flying for a few days outside the Philippines and returning to get the Balikbayan stamp. By doing this they have thwarted fees and paperwork they would nave otherwise would have been required to obligate. The Philippines Immigration is now cracking down on the loose usage of the Balikbayan stamps, so they who do not truly deserve this stamp will have to fulfill their true obligations to the Philippine government.

a.) It is very simple is you wife or husband been living outside the Philippines and returning to the Philipines which they are citizens? Then they are Balikbayans and are truely allowed the Balikbayan Privilege.

b.) Is the spouse and children moving to the Philippines accompanied by this returning Filipino citizen, then they are allowed to fall under this Balikbayan privialge. Only if accompanied by the Balikbayan.

c.) If your Filipino spouse has not been out of the country for a period extending beyond 1 year, they are not Balikbayans

d.) If you have received a Balikbayan stamp traveling with a non-Balikbayan spouse, then you were taking advantage and the Philippines is correcting this problem.

The Philippines was trying to help relax the process so the Balikbayans could move here with their families, but now due to foreigners taking advantage of a privilege they were not deserving, the process will now have to be revamped and tightly controlled. This will now make it harder for those that the system was designed for. The Balikbayans earned this privilege.

Paul
Paul,I's is not one of dem thar northern yanks-I's was born in suthern Vermont. B)

Oh my God! It's worse than I thought! He's a new ENGLANDer. ;):P :P

Oh my """God"""! It's worse than I thought! He's a new ENGLANDer. ;):P :P

Yup-One o' Gods greattess creayshuns B)

Edited by ayala
JamesMusslewhite
http://www.philippineconsulate-sf.org/consular_visa.htm#5

The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001 that, "All Immigration Officers at authorised ports of entry shall grant the benefits and privileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every time they enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel". This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of the Balikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of times they enter the country within a year.

So,then,how are these folks taking advantage of balikbayan priveleges if they should leave within a year and do some travelling and then return to the Philippines balikbayan,when this is the law?

Republic Act No. 6768 November 3, 1989

AN ACT INSTITUTING A BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM

SECTION 1. Balikbayan Program. - A Balikbayan Program is hereby instituted under the administration of the Department of Tourism to attract and encourage overseas Filipinos to come and visit their motherland. This is in recognition of their contribution to the economy of the country through the foreign exchange inflow that they generate.

Section 2. Definition of Terms. - For purposes of this Act:

(a) The term "balikbayan" shall mean a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year, a Filipino overseas worker, or a former Filipino citizen and his family, as this term is defined hereunder, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines; and

(B) The term "family" shall mean the spouse and the children of the balikbayan who are not balikbayan in their own right traveling with the latter to the Philippines.

If your spouse meets the requirements listed above, then they are Balikbayan and are intitled to all right allocated by the laws of the Philippines. Thats being Simple

A Filipino who leaves the Philippines for only a few days, or a week, or a month is not a Bilikbayan. If you marry a Filipino who never left the Philippines for a period extending 1 year, and you fly away for a few days so you can avoid paying vias fees and paperwork; then that is taking advantage of a soft spot or loophole in the system.

Why should one think they have the same rights?

James-#1 that is the law.

#2 There are folks who do some travelling without as you say taking advantage.

#3 My wife and sons and I travel all over southeast asia,are you trying to take away our rights as balikbayan because we

travel?

Again-The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001 that, "All Immigration Officers at authorised ports of entry shall grant the benefits and privileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every time they enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel". This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of the Balikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of times they enter the country within a year.

Edited by ayala

Boy, it is so good to learn all this, because I always thought the BB they always stamp into my passport meant that my reputation as a ball buster had proceeded me. B)

Visa, privilege, what does it matter, all that counts is that we can stay for a year and not pay all those fees. ;)

Edited by Mr. Lee
JamesMusslewhite
James-#1 that is the law.

#2 There are folks who do some travelling without as you say taking advantage.

#3 My wife and sons and I travel all over southeast asia,are you trying to take away our rights as balikbayan because we

travel?

Again-The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001 that, "All Immigration Officers at authorised ports of entry shall grant the benefits and privileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every time they enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel". This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of the Balikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of times they enter the country within a year.

I do not understand how I am advocating your family's loss of travel right under the Balikbayan Privilege? Especially since Again you qouted the Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informing the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001 that, "All Immigration Officers at authorized ports of entry shall grant the benefits and privileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every time they enter the country to visit.

I must assume she has lived out side the Philippines for a period exceeding 1 year and or have have received Citizenship in another country. This is the definition of a Balikbayan that you keep eluding to in giving me the same quote twice.

Therefor it is her right to do so, and your privilege to be allowed this courtesy bestowed on your wife, because of her personal sacrifice. She had been stripped of her citizenship, when she left the Philippines for over a year. She was restricted on her rights to own land, operate a business, the rite to vote, and many other basic rights. She had had those rights taken away from her. The Balikbayan Policy was so she could return to the Philippines with her family. It took an Act of Congress to earn back those rights that had been taken from her. So why should you rights be taken away from you.

I was only talking about selfish individuals who where taking advantage of the system, just so they could avoid paying their required Visa fees and trying to aviod their required paperwork. Selfish individuals who know that their spouses did not meet the definition of Balikbayan. The type of selfish asshole that thinks somehow he is entitled to capitalize on the sacrifices that your and my wife made. They just see the selfish opportunity to skirt the system, and commit an act that is slightly underhanded. You have probely meet the type. They will argue how they should have the same rights because the just flew here and married a local girl, who has never left the country, She never had her rights restricted, in fact she has never been a Balikbayan before. Yet their husbands thinks that somehow they is just too smart or special to follow the laws of the Philippines. They has found a loop-hole and does not care that he has no right to claim it. They just want the loop-hole and will argue, and argue, and argue intill he shows what a pathetic argument he has. Especially when they argue with people like us who wives really are Balikbayans. My wife was gone for 24 years and just moved here to bring her family here to live. Why should she have more rights than someone just skirting the system. I am sure you know the type. There are a lot of them here.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
Bob Ward

This might be one of the most dumb ass threads I have ever read here. Ayala, get a grip!! Left, right or both!!

I do not understand how I am advocating your family's loss of travel right under the Balikbayan Privilege? Especially since Again you qouted the Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informing the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001 that, "All Immigration Officers at authorized ports of entry shall grant the benefits and privileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every time they enter the country to visit.

I must assume she has lived out side the Philippines for a period exceeding 1 year and or have have received Citizenship in another country. This is the definition of a Balikbayan that you keep eluding to in giving me the same quote twice.

Therefor it is her right to do so, and your privilege to be allowed this courtesy bestowed on your wife, because of her personal sacrifice. She had been stripped of her citizenship, when she left the Philippines for over a year. She was restricted on her rights to own land, operate a business, the rite to vote, and many other basic rights. She had had those rights taken away from her. The Balikbayan Policy was so she could return to the Philippines with her family. It took an Act of Congress to earn back those rights that had been taken from her. So why should you rights be taken away from you.

I was only talking about selfish individuals who where taking advantage of the system, just so they could avoid paying their required Visa fees and trying to aviod their required paperwork. Selfish individuals who know that their spouses did not meet the definition of Balikbayan. The type of selfish asshole that thinks somehow he is entitled to capitalize on the sacrifices that your and my wife made. They just see the selfish opportunity to skirt the system, and commit an act that is slightly underhanded. You have probely meet the type. They will argue how they should have the same rights because the just flew here and married a local girl, who has never left the country, She never had her rights restricted, in fact she has never been a Balikbayan before. Yet their husbands thinks that somehow they is just too smart or special to follow the laws of the Philippines. They has found a loop-hole and does not care that he has no right to claim it. They just want the loop-hole and will argue, and argue, and argue intill he shows what a pathetic argument he has. Especially when they argue with people like us who wives really are Balikbayans. My wife was gone for 24 years and just moved here to bring her family here to live. Why should she have more rights than someone just skirting the system. I am sure you know the type. There are a lot of them here.

James, IMO you are getting all upset without a great reason. While I do not fit into the category that you describe of AH's because my wife and I travel back and forth to the Philippines every year from the states and she is a US citizen, we do have a lot of friends who are married to Philippine ladies and who live in the Philippines and spend their earnings derived from their home countries in the Philippines, and if I am not mistaken, that money also goes to help the economy of the Philippines.

I think what is important is that, it is a foreigner married to a citizen or former citizen of the Philippines and that the money they spend in the Philippines is derived outside the Philippines, because I think the purpose of the law was to help the country and in recognition of the sacrifices that former citizens have made for their country, and many ladies that marry foreigners and live within the country are also making a sacrifice of sorts, because they are partially giving up their own way of life and dedicating their life to their foreign husbands, and then they are often looked down upon by their countrymen and women for doing it.

Sorry to say this, but I also feel that insulting fellow expats is just plain wrong to do because of what you as a foreigner think, and what is important is what the govt of the Philippines and Filipinos thinks is the correct thing to do.

Edited by Mr. Lee
tom_shor
Yup-One o' Gods greattess creayshuns B)

You can't get there from here. You have to go somewhere else first. ;)

This might be one of the most dumb ass threads I have ever read here. Ayala, get a grip!! Left, right or both!!

B) You truly crack me up Bob,most of the time! ;) I did not start this thread,Paul titled and worded this thread and placed it as if I did,which I did NOT!So your language of dumb ass is something you will need to take up with Paul.Is that a good enough grip for you dude?

Edited by ayala
You can't get there from here. You have to go somewhere else first. B)

Im already here!