Balikbayan Visa, or Privilege?

It is a balikbayan visa-you can also call it a balikbayan visa privelege-anyways we knew what katja06 was asking about.

Firstly there is no such thing as a "Balikbayan Visa" rather the spouse and children of a citizen of the Philippines, who should have lived abroad for a period of at least one year, are admitted as a Balikbayan Privilege. In addition to passports for your husband and children, you may need to show (originals of) your marriage certificate and children's birth certificates to the Immigation Officer upon arrival in the Philippines.

The Balikbayan Privilege is free and permits the holder to spend up to one year in the Philippines. If you plan to stay longer, you might wish to investigate obtaining a spousal visa (13(a)) for your husband and Philippines Passports for your children. Otherwise they will be classed as non-visaed Tourists at the end of the year and will need to apply for Extensions of Stay every 59 days at the Bureau of Immigration.

If your children do not hold Philippines citizenship, you should seek the advice of the Philippines Consulate as to whether they will be permitted to attend school: they may well require Student Visas.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ayala

• JamesMusslewhite

• Paul

• Bob Ward

Paul

Here is a link to a previous discussion on this topic: LinC Forums Balikbayan Stamp Thread

It is a balikbayan visa-you can also call it a balikbayan visa privelege-anyways we knew what katja06 was asking about.

Ayala, you are incorrect. All too often, people make this mistake. When you get a Balikbayan stamp placed in your passport, this is not, I repeat, not a visa. It is a privilege: Link 1 Link 2 Link 3

Here is a link to a previous discussion on this topic: LinC Forums Balikbayan Stamp Thread

Ayala, you are incorrect. All too often, people make this mistake. When you get a Balikbayan stamp placed in your passport, this is not, I repeat, not a visa. It is a privilege: Link 1 Link 2 Link 3

Former Filipino citizens and their family members traveling together may enter the Philippines without need of a visa for a maximum stay of one (1) year. Former Filipino citizens who wish to avail themselves of the """Balikbayan visa-free privilege""" must present proof of former Philippine citizenship, e.g. (1) old Philippine passport; (2) copy of birth certificate at the Philippine Port of Entry

Jim Sibbick
Former Filipino citizens and their family members traveling together may enter the Philippines without need of a visa for a maximum stay of one (1) year. Former Filipino citizens who wish to avail themselves of the """Balikbayan visa-free privilege""" must present proof of former Philippine citizenship, e.g. (1) old Philippine passport; (2) copy of birth certificate at the Philippine Port of Entry

I am not sure of your purpose of posting this as all it confirms is that there is no visa.

Regards: Jim

Paul

Sabot ka?

I am not sure of your purpose of posting this as all it confirms is that there is no visa.

Regards: Jim

Wrong Jim-If you have a balikbayan stamp in your passport check it out.Whether you want to call it a balikbayan visa privelege or just a privelege or whatever they are just plays on words-the result is that it is a balikbayan visa privelege.

Sabot ka?

It does'nt mean its free of being a visa-it means its free of charge.

Paul

Either way, the answers to the original questions are:

1. Yes.

2. 1 year, free.

3. No.

HTH

It does'nt mean its free of being a visa-it means its free of charge.

It means, visa free. Not a free visa. It's like caffeine free, free of caffeine, not free caffeine included.

Either way, the answers to the original questions are:

1. Yes.

2. 1 year, free.

3. No.

HTH

It means, visa free. Not a free visa. It's like caffeine free, free of caffeine, not free caffeine included.

If its not free paul,how much does it cost?Wala.You are only using a play on words-reality is that its a VISA.

Paul
If its not free paul,how much does it cost?Wala.You are only using a play on words-reality is that its a VISA.

Boy, when you northern yanks get something in your mind that is "correct" to you, you don't give up. I will make you happy, but I doubt Jim will be as willing to give in to ignorance. You are right. But, we, with many combined years experience in the Philippines, are completely wrong. We don't know what the hell we are talking about, even though it is clearly backed up on Philippine Embassy websites, two of which I linked to directly. But, I'm sure you didn't bother loading those pages.

Either way, this is off-topic. So, I think I may split all of these posts into a topic by itself.

Boy, when you northern yanks get something in your mind that is "correct" to you, you don't give up. I will make you happy, but I doubt Jim will be as willing to give in to ignorance. You are right. But, we, with many combined years experience in the Philippines, are completely wrong. We don't know what the hell we are talking about, even though it is clearly backed up on Philippine Embassy websites, two of which I linked to directly. But, I'm sure you didn't bother loading those pages.

Either way, this is off-topic. So, I think I may split all of these posts into a topic by itself.

:wink:

Paul,I'll bet neither you nor Jim ever had a "balikbayan visa stamp-privelge-yup I'm here" in your passport.

BTW-I did not start this topic-Paul must be a northern yank. :P

Edited by ayala
A_Simple_Man

Perhaps a northern Yank will believe what comes out of Washington DC so here is a link to the Philippine Embassy in DC which states:

"No visa shall be required for a maximum stay of one (1) year for the following Balikbayans, every time they enter the Philippines to visit, regardless of the frequency of their travel"

Makes it difficult to interpret the Balikbayan privilege as a Visa eh?

http://us.rpembassy.net/?p=8

Perhaps a northern Yank will believe what comes out of Washington DC so here is a link to the Philippine Embassy in DC which states:

"No visa shall be required for a maximum stay of one (1) year for the following Balikbayans, every time they enter the Philippines to visit, regardless of the frequency of their travel"

Makes it difficult to interpret the Balikbayan privilege as a Visa eh?

http://us.rpembassy.net/?p=8

Make sure to say-give me one of them thar privelges cus iffin ya all say balikbayan visa might get confusing like and dey mite not know whats ya all means being ya all just did get off a plane tryin ta enter da country.. :wink:

Paul
:)

Paul,I'll bet neither you nor Jim ever had a "balikbayan visa stamp-privelge-yup I'm here" in your passport.

BTW-I did not start this topic-Paul must be a northern yank. :P

See? That is another thing you have wrong. I never said you started anything. The only thing I said was, when you get something in your mind that you believe to be correct, even showing you proof does not change your mind. :wink::P

Learn, grasshopper, learn.

I have a Balikbayan "privalige" in my passport.

This is all I can say about it:

1. It is not a special stamp. What the stamp is, is your regular old red colored tourist stamp, except that the expiration date is 1 year from my arrival date instead of 21 days like it usually will say.

2. No where on the stamp does to say "Balikbayan" or "BB".

3. I had to show proof that I was married to my Filipina wife when we both came back through Imigrations at the Manila airport together on a flight from Thailand.

4. The proof of marriage we showed was that our last names on both our passports (my US and her Filipino passport) was the same. I guess if we had our marriage contract with us, that would have been good enough too.

5. I paid nothing for the 1 year Balikbayon entry privilage.

6. I was told that next time they won't give me another 1 year (Balikbayan) entry privilage. They told me to get off my ass and get a 13a permanent resident visa since I am married to a Filipino citizen and living in the PI.

And that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! B)

BTW ... In reality, I guess it really is a privilage, because if you get right down to it ... neither my wife or myself are really what could be legally classified as true "Balikbayans".

Edited by Turbota