ROBBED by BDO ATM Machine

I see a possible list of guidelines here to limit the possibilities. ATM safe guidelines.

Use ATM located at the bank premises where guards monitor it.

Use during banking hours, So you can complain right away.

if it malfunctions, have someone known to you or the guard watch the machine while you are inside complaining, do not let anyone else use the machine. until your complaint is satisfied. if not call the police so yo have a record of it.

Let someone else use the ATM prior to you, so you know its working,

Maybe limit your withdrawals to say p5000, to limit your liability. But can lead to excess fees.

I am guilty of the last. I love taking out p25,000 in one shot at BDO. its like a jackpot at Vegas. with the same risk.

how many of you count your money at the ATM. Not me , I should , but then everyone around you knows what you just took out. now you have become a possible target? HMMMMM I will have to meditate on that one.

i experienced this before i withdraw 10,000 from the BDO and there's no money came out and when i inquire my balance and 10k was deducted so i called up the BDO toll free hotline and reported the incident after 3 banking days they returned back my money. :D

just go the bank and bring the reciept, they will make an investigation and you will get your money. this is not common in Cebu tampering the ATM

• 2 weeks later...
Mattfromnz

UPDATE:

The bank texted me to say that the 5k has been deposited back into my account... Very pleasantly surprised. :welcome:

Paul

From June 7th, to June 20th, pretty good time... in the Philippines. :welcome:;)

From June 7th, to June 20th, pretty good time... in the Philippines. :D :D

Yes indeed! My friend have the same experience practically the same time that this incident happened and was told she can get her money 2 weeks after! She had no choice but just wait because the bank officer told her it happen sometimes! I think she can get her money next week! :)

smokey

So not only do we have to worry about scams but also machine malfunctions due to age of the machines and the extra heavy usage. quote from mr lee...

on the 1st and the 15 the lines at the atm are bigger then the lines to get free food.. i was behind a girl at e mall and she put the card in and no money came out so she rubbed it on her pants and put it in again and again no money just a slip and she did not appear to want to believe what it said so she dug thru her purse and came up with another card and again no money all of this took at least 15 min.. so finally with everyone grumbling she stepped out of line and went to the back of the line i guess she wanted to be there when the money finally hit the bank,, has anyone noticed the number of credit cards being used at the supermarket for stuff under 200peso???

I made it a habit to grab the money and the card at the same time.If you wait more then a few seconds,it seems,the atm will take the card,so grab it fast.For your protection in case you forget the card.They did away with this kind of ATM in the states,you slide the card in and pull it out fast then do your transaction.I am sure the Philippines has some of this kind or will have this kind in the future.

samatm
UPDATE:

The bank texted me to say that the 5k has been deposited back into my account... Very pleasantly surprised. :)

Thanks for the update Matt. What steps did you take if any to get reimbursed?

Mattfromnz
Thanks for the update Matt. What steps did you take if any to get reimbursed?

I just Called and told them what happened. Very impressed!

I had this happen to me many times (at least 6 times) and it still happens to my sister in law. It usually takes 2 weeks to get the money back into the account.

samatm

I was up a creek last December when the BDO ate my US Bankcard. I was on my way to the airport for a flight in 4 hours and needed cash to pay the hotel, taxi, departure tax etc...... It was my fault as I was using a temporary atm card and its time limit had expired...Fortunately I did have a friend who came to my rescue with 4T cash and a ride to the Airport...but if he hadnt come through...i would have been sunk. It was a Sunday and most banks were all closed. You need backup plans as discussed earlier in this thread in case your ATM is eaten or wont be accepted.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Semi off-topic, but my ATM card was comprimised last year in Cebu. Somehow the card was skimmed and the PIN recorded (video I presume) and there were a lot of withdrawls made from machines while I wasn't even in the province of Cebu!

My bank in the US, Bank of SCAM-America immediately refunded the money in question but then 60 days later debited my account saying there was no evidence of fraud. Hmm. Wouldnt even look at my flight itinery that showed me gone from Cebu those weeks.

Had I known this would happen I would have taken all the money they temporarily refunded and told them to blow off...

Bank of SCAMerica blows.

I was up a creek last December when the BDO ate my US Bankcard. I was on my way to the airport for a flight in 4 hours and needed cash to pay the hotel, taxi, departure tax etc...... It was my fault as I was using a temporary atm card and its time limit had expired...Fortunately I did have a friend who came to my rescue with 4T cash and a ride to the Airport...but if he hadnt come through...i would have been sunk. It was a Sunday and most banks were all closed. You need backup plans as discussed earlier in this thread in case your ATM is eaten or wont be accepted.

I hope my friend will get hers too...it was supposed to be for tuition fee and book money for their kid and it's been two weeks since yesterday! Although it is China Bank for her but still the same...Philippine Banking System! :rolleyes: