ROBBED by BDO ATM Machine

Mattfromnz

Friday night, I went to a BDO ATM in A.S Fortuna and attempted to withdraw 5,000 pesos. It made all the right noises and spat out my card, then a reciept showing the deduction of 5,000, but no cash!

I've never had this happen before. I will try resolve with the bank tomorrow, but Im not backing my chances.

Any one had any experience with this happening?

smokey
Friday night, I went to a BDO ATM in A.S Fortuna and attempted to withdraw 5,000 pesos. It made all the right noises and spat out my card, then a reciept showing the deduction of 5,000, but no cash!

I've never had this happen before. I will try resolve with the bank tomorrow, but Im not backing my chances.

Any one had any experience with this happening?

there is a group that is working the ATM machines that insert a piece of plastic that prevents the money from coming out till your gone you could of been had....

Mattfromnz
there is a group that is working the ATM machines that insert a piece of plastic that prevents the money from coming out till your gone you could of been had....

Hmmm.. Very innovative idea. You could quite possibly be right. Lucky bastards!

traveller2104

Hi

The obstruction for cash seems to be hot in the Phils right now. Banks are talking about it. Maybe just an excuse for not giving money. If it does not dispense money as in not block and then clear the sensor on the cash slot, it should not issue a receipt.

On the other hand; this happened to us about 2 years ago. A PNB machine I think(not sure of memory) The money was credited to the account after over a month to check there books to be sure there was an overage.

Good Luck

USMC-Retired

AUTHORITIES have finally arrested a theft suspect who has allegedly been stealing cash from automated teller machines (ATMs) in Cebu City.

Ryan Anecito, 25, who claimed to be from Cavite City but is residing in Leyte, was caught taking money out from an ATM of the United Coconut Planters Bank (UCPB)-Ayala Branch at 7:30 a.m. last Sunday.

"The Manny Pacquiao Blog". Click here for stories and updates on the Filipino boxing champ.

He used rulers, either plastic or metal, to vandalize the machines.

Anecito said he has been into the activity in Cebu since December.

He said he could get as much as P10,000 cash in just one operation.

The modus

Mattfromnz

Sounds like I got dooped. Live and learn. I should have checked to see if there was anything stuck in there.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully others can learn from this.

I never used an atm until I came to the Philippines, with lines that can be 50 or more customers per two tellers inside the bank, here you cant live without them, I noticed I use mainly the ATM with the swing open door, not the slot.

Lets not get started on banks again. like a branch means nothing here, Sorry sir I need to charge you p50 to put money into your account because its another branch,

I now have 10 different BDO accounts scattered through the country, I can transfer online to any for free, kinda beat them at their own game,

Edited by PiRider
bikerdave
Sounds like I got dooped. Live and learn. I should have checked to see if there was anything stuck in there.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully others can learn from this.

Matt check with the bank first! Don't give up. A few years back the same thing happened to me. They told me on Fri. to come back the following Monday.Their records showed the machine was indeed at fault. It was credited back to my account by the end of that week. It was a long wait,it was all that I had,but finally it came through. Good luck
Matt check with the bank first! Don't give up. A few years back the same thing happened to me. They told me on Fri. to come back the following Monday.Their records showed the machine was indeed at fault. It was credited back to my account by the end of that week. It was a long wait,it was all that I had,but finally it came through. Good luck

I have experienced this many times but I didn't leave the ATM, instead, I called the guard and asked if there's something wrong with the machine. I usually waited for few minutes and checked my balance again, the money was still the same and no deductions were made from my account.

Yeah, don't give up, the ATMS's are sometimes just acting crazy and not working well.

overthere-really
I have experienced this many times but I didn't leave the ATM, instead, I called the guard and asked if there's something wrong with the machine. I usually waited for few minutes and checked my balance again, the money was still the same and no deductions were made from my account.

Yeah, don't give up, the ATMS's are sometimes just acting crazy and not working well.

In another thread sometime back, someone mentioned that he only uses bank ATMs during banking hours. That way he can resolve any problem right there on the spot. Pretty good idae. In the past I used ATMs at the malls but from now on I'll stick with that guy's advice. I think it would be a real hassle solving any problems with ATMs in the malls.

udonthani

the exact same thing happened to me the first time I ever used an ATM in the Philippines, at a Makati BPI branch. It said CARD CAPTURED. I think I might have been the example #10 is referring to, because luckily it was 9.30am and the bank was open, enabling me to go in there and get the card back. If it had been 9.30pm, I would have been stuffed as I had a 6am flight to Cagayan de Oro next day. Ever since then, I've always thought ahead, and made ATM withdrawals in the Philippines during banking hours. Remember, tourists/visitors aren't as flexible as residents/expats. They move around far more, and can't necessarily borrow 10,000 pesos off a mate just like that if they encounter a problem like expats can.

annoyingly, I checked my account and noticed they'd debited my account 10,000 pesos, but the money was quickly restituted. Ever since then, I've had no problems with ATM's at all in the Philippines, which is I think pretty lucky - but I'm still careful with them.

I always keep a float of at least 10,000 pesos on me though and look to get some more money once it gets lower than that, just in case there are any problems with the card, to give me a bit of space. The trouble with the Philippines is that it's not as practicable to keep Travellers Checks as a backup there if you have severe problems with your cards as it is in other south east Asian countries, where usually you can cash them in any bank.

State Trooper

Ive had a lot of trouble with ATMs in the Philippines and I agree with the others that you should use an ATM in front of a bank where there are guards. Less chance the machine has been tampered with and the bank is open if you have a problem.

My problem was that withdraws would also magically appear on my account. When checking my account online, I would see a withdraw when I knew I hadnt made one and no one else has my PIN or my card. Ive talked to others and they say this has happened to them as well. Inside job???

Nangulo
My problem was that withdraws would also magically appear on my account. When checking my account online, I would see a withdraw when I knew I hadnt made one and no one else has my PIN or my card. Ive talked to others and they say this has happened to them as well. Inside job???

Is this a single account with a single bank or multiple accounts with multiple banks? I've not experienced this with HSBC or Metrobank accounts.

I use an ATM that's recently been used - that is, I've either been in line behind someone or walked up just as the previous customer has left. That way, I know the machine is not malfunctioning and nobody has had the opportunity to tamper. The idea about using ATM's during business hours is sound as I once had a card captured at Bank of Commerce at Fuente. Fortunately, it was during banking hours and it was resolved right away.

The same thing happened to me on 2 different occasions and my wife once.

On all 3 occasions I had no satisfaction with the banks here in the Philippines reimbursing me the money.

However my bank in the States did.

On the third occasion my bank in the States informed me that the problem was on the Philippines side and refused to reimburse.

So from that point forward it's only been checks deposited here in my Philippine bank, and those dollars are withdrawn and changed into pesos and the ATM card is now only used on rare occasions.

Lee

So far we have been lucky with BPI bank. The first time that happened was for p20,000 and the ATM gave us nothing due to an ATM malfunction but the machine did spit out a receipt saying it did not take the money, yet it was deducted from our account and then later put back into our account within 24 hours after we complained to the main office.

The second time was in SM mall downstairs at the BPI machine and it gave us part of the money and the other p5500 did not come out, or got stuck in the machine, again a phone call to BPI hotline and the money was back in our account within 24 hours, so some Philippine banks do try to take care of their customers.

So not only do we have to worry about scams but also machine malfunctions due to age of the machines and the extra heavy usage.