Safety in the Philippines

ayala...i respect your comments...but we are not all as familiar with cebu as you are...you have to give us some leeway...but i will take your advice even though it is meant in anger

No-it was meant with humor,where is the anger-I am sitting here laughing my a.. off..It sort of reminded me of a guy some months ago here that his only planning concern was can he buy spam and herseys dark chocolate in cebu.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• ayala

• ChrisCHI

• tom_shor

Top Posters In This Topic

patrickau
good tip about the pepper spray...can it go through customs or do you think i should just get it there?

i went to a gunshop next to raintree mall in ramos they had pepper spray cheap around $5us small canister though or what a friend of mine in security told me is u get a aerosol can(small ladies deoderant) and drill out the nozzle and it works well as a style of maise as the bigger the hole in nozzle it comes out as a liquid not sure how well it works tho will make your attacker smell good :welcome:

smokey
Yup-seems like your getting all prepared huh?Gssh-my 5 years in the philippines,2 1/2 years in the bush of mindinao and I would never have thought to do any of these things.The place you need mace and pepper spray is back in the USA,catch your patriotic flag flying american neighbor cutting down 12 inch tall trees your wife planted on your own land in the middle of the night.ya know-hate your neighbor as yourself for the love of hate,its very alive in the US of A

Gee if it

Gee if it
smokey
Don't tell anyone but they have no ammo for them thar shotguns.

really ? my friend owns a guard company and he did not know that thanks for the info..

tom_shor
i went to a gunshop next to raintree mall in ramos they had pepper spray cheap around $5us small canister though or what a friend of mine in security told me is u get a aerosol can(small ladies deoderant) and drill out the nozzle and it works well as a style of maise as the bigger the hole in nozzle it comes out as a liquid not sure how well it works tho will make your attacker smell good ;)

If you got it in his eyes it would hurt for sure. Safer too. Many people who use mace spray themselves or get caught in the cloud they made. B)

ChrisCHI
If you got it in his eyes it would hurt for sure. Safer too. Many people who use mace spray themselves or get caught in the cloud they made. ;)

Ok now this thread has me convinced that a positive attitude and respect will be the only thing I'm packing.

Ok now this thread has me convinced that a positive attitude and respect will be the only thing I'm packing.

Right On ChrisChi

Don't tell anyone but they have no ammo for them thar shotguns.

The ones at our apartment's do for sure have cartridges, and I note some demonstrate that with a few spare cartridges

on the belt, I believe they keep the magazine loaded but don't have a cartridge in the chamber for safety.

But choice of cartridges in a 12g is critical for effect (Buck shot is good) but how much practice they actually have at

firing them is doubtful as with only those hand grips the kick from a 12g magnum would need some practice to handle,

so I do wonder how much practice firing they get?

Its not much use having a pump action 12g if they don't know how to use it right, and it would be interesting how many

accidental discharges occur :D

I always steer clear of the security armoured cars collecting the money from the banks as those guys are usually tooled

up with an array of assault rifles, M16's and M1's being common, so its not healthy to risk getting caught in any cross fire

from them :D

Regards Chaz

Paul

I tell ya, I saw a guard shoot at an attacker once - with his shotgun. It damned sure wasn't empty.

• 2 weeks later...
mattwilkie
I tell ya, I saw a guard shoot at an attacker once - with his shotgun. It damned sure wasn't empty.

The thing is carrying a fire arm encourages an armed attacker.. there is no way anyone in thier right mind is going to stand ther with an empty weapon to draw in an attacker thats going to stick them in a box..

You do see a lot of guards carrying holsters without guns and thats probably the reason why.. because i know if i was attacking i would be putting the guard down before he knew i was there..

Mace on the other hand is easy to get hold of. Look in the sporting sections of the malls they do it with a belt clip for about P300 (if i remember right cant remember exact price)..

Personally I find London more dangerous than Cebu. The UK has a current rise in unprovoked knife attacks and killings there are things that go on but nowhere near the way it goes down in the UK.

tom_shor

A big stick is helpful too. When alertness and politeness fails. A nice Nara wood cane can give them a nice attitude adjustment.

mattwilkie
A big stick is helpful too. When alertness and politeness fails. A nice Nara wood cane can give them a nice attitude adjustment.

Nice folding night stick ;-)

smokey

all time low notice that it says for a successful which i think means no honey no money...

• 3 months later...
goggleye

I spent a week in July on Mindanao - state dept says dont go there

I never felt threatened once- across the north of the island- everyone was friendly, polite and helpful

only disagreeable thing happened was a guy came up to me in the market- and offered - 400 pesos and i make you a very happy man- i said no thanks and walked away :lol: