how long can a foreigner stay in pi

21 days if he / she enters without a visa.

59 days if he / she enters with a 9(a) visa attached to his / her passport.

After both of those lengths of time expire, the visitor will have to pay for extensions in order to continue to stay in the country.

What is a "9(a)" Visa?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• ancienrocka

• Paul

• JTS

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love this reserved tone... surely you could throw a few expletives in for effect.. you will feel better for it

well in answer to my own questions:   the 6 month visa was back dated to the start of the week I applied which I thought was stingy.   on both check-ins I was asked for my return ticket out of the

What is a "9(a)" Visa?

It is the visa issued from a Phillipine Consulate in your country PRIOR to travelling. It comes in single or multiple entry flavors.

Multiple entry types may be valid for 3, 6, or 12 months. Don't let that fool you though. It is only valid for a 59-day stay before either an extention or departure is required.

• 3 weeks later...
SkyMan

What is a "9(a)" Visa?

It is the visa issued from a Phillipine Consulate in your country PRIOR to travelling. It comes in single or multiple entry flavors.

Multiple entry types may be valid for 3, 6, or 12 months. Don't let that fool you though. It is only valid for a 59-day stay before either an extention or departure is required.

The 3 month 9(a) is not multi entry, only single. The cost of the 3 month is still $30 which is substantially cheaper than the 38 day extension after the 21 day initial visa waver so if you plan 22 days plus, get the 9(a). Having the 9(a) also allows your exit ticket to be beyond the 21 day limit. In fact, the last 2 times I've entered on 9(a) my exit ticket was at about 8 months which I further extended to one year as my flight became closer.

• 4 months later...

It's so sad to see that my own country,try to get every penny out from foreigners.Yet when my country men comes to visit here in the US with multiple entries from 6 mos. up to 1 year.My last visit I was so disappointed, never the less that it was always corrupt then and it has gotten worse now!I became american citizen and was told I can only stay up to 1 year other wise I will pay a hefty fine for overstaying, I was advised to get CITIZENSHIP RETENTION AND RE-ACQUISITION ACTION ACT OF 2003 (R.A. 9225 ).In which I tried to comply with and found out that it will cost me more or less at that time $200.00 , I told my self screw that.

When I got back here in the US and went to PHILIPPINE CONSULATE IN CHICAGO and some research I found out it will just cost me $50.00 and the cost of phil. passport.

• 3 months later...

If we give birth to a child in Philippines (both of us Canadian, no Filipino citizenships) would our child get Filipino citizenship? Would we then be able to stay in the country for longer than 59days at a time?

David Spicer

If we give birth to a child in Philippines (both of us Canadian, no Filipino citizenships) would our child get Filipino citizenship? Would we then be able to stay in the country for longer than 59days at a time?

Only Philippines citizens (mother, father, or both) can give birth to a Philippines citizen.

• 2 weeks later...

have a few questions about 6 month, multi entry visa?

If you apply for a 6 month visa, does the visa start on the day you say you will arrive in the phils or when you apply?

Dos the visa always expire after 6 months? or when you said when you were leaving the country?

Am I right to assume you don't need an exit plane ticket if you have a 6 month multi entry visa?

Thanks in advance, I just cant seem to get the info on the web

Woolf

If you apply for a 6 month visa, does the visa start on the day you say you will arrive in the phils or when you apply?

Dos the visa always expire after 6 months? or when you said when you were leaving the country?

Am I right to assume you don't need an exit plane ticket if you have a 6 month multi entry visa?

Read here: http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/30801-longer-term-stay/page__p__318339__fromsearch__1#entry318339

Well thanks for the link, but it doesnt actually answer the questions I asked.

The embassy hand outs are pretty clear, u need a plane ticket if you are landing no visa for a 21 day stay.

However they say nothing about what happens if you have a 6 month visa. So if you want to stay 6 months, do u need a throw ticket?

ancienrocka

Your 6 month "visa" gives you 6 months from the date of it being granted to enter the Philippines as many times as you want, and each time stay for up to 59 days without renewing your visa. If it is granted on 1st January and you arrive in Cebu on 2nd January, you can stay until around 1st March. You leave then and come back on 4th March and stay for 30 days until 4th April,on 6th April coming back and staying another 59 days to around 6th June. You then come back on 28th June - your 6 month visa is good to 30th June - you can then stay for a further 59 days. This time though you want to stay longer, so you simply renew you visa every 2 months up to the maximum stay of 16 months.

There is so much confusion with the multiple entry visas and it causes many people to overstay and have to pay fines. The 6 month, so called, "visa" simply allows you to enter the Philippines as many times as you want within that 6 month period and stay for 59 days without renewing your visa stamp. It does not give the right to stay here for 6 months. The right to enter and stay for 59 days expires at the end of the 6 months, but your can enter on the last day of the 6 months and stay a further 59 days.

• 3 weeks later...
Greatyear1966

Hello...

Can I come on a one-way $600 instead of a round trip $1200 ticket from the US, if I have a exit ticket to Singapore? Will that work?B)

SkyMan

Only Philippines citizens (mother, father, or both) can give birth to a Philippines citizen.

Did you just say a father can give birth to a Filipino?

SkyMan

The month period of the 9(a) visa is only for it's validity. The 90day visa is single entry and must be used within the 90days after the visa is approved. The 6 month visa is multi entry and can be used anytime(s) within 6 months after approval and the 1yr anytime(s) within 1 yr. Once you have entered these 3 different 9(a)s are all the same allowing you to stay for 59days and then you may extend ad nauseum like everyone else. The only difference for the 6 and 12 month varieties is you can leave the RP and then return again if you're still in the 6 or 12 month time frame.

Technically I believe you are supposed to have an exit ticket with a 9(a) but I was never asked for one.

• 3 months later...

I went to the Consulate in San Francisco and got a 1 year visa this time. It was easy, quick and not that pricey. My first 59 day extension cost me over 8,000p my second extension cost me 1,500p! Go figure. I think I may fly to Hong Kong in lieu of the next 59 day extension. As good of an excuse as any I guess.

Regards,

Bill

Edited by Bill H

well in answer to my own questions:

the 6 month visa was back dated to the start of the week I applied which I thought was stingy.

on both check-ins I was asked for my return ticket out of the Phils. When I said I have a visa, they caved in immediately.

on both occasions at immigration, i was not asked for the return ticket. but when i asked the official if i needed one, he said i still needed an onward ticket.

my only regret is not getting a one year visa.

the 9a pleasure was 60 euros for 6 months, 90 euros for 1 year.

and when you can get to hk or singapore for about 4k pesos, its a nice way to have a "free" trip every two months. it is probably a ton more fun than going to immigration

• Like 1