how long can a foreigner stay in pi

JamesMusslewhite

Just because you get a stamp at the office will not mean when you try to leave the country it will be in the computer...a very risky chance to take...I,ve never been to the 3rd floor of BOI and never want to be..

I am sure there may come a time when JTS can tell us all about what is up there.:biggrin_01:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• Paul

• JTS

• sperry

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love this reserved tone... surely you could throw a few expletives in for effect.. you will feel better for it

well in answer to my own questions:   the 6 month visa was back dated to the start of the week I applied which I thought was stingy.   on both check-ins I was asked for my return ticket out of the

wildman01

Tony,i think you are confusing the 1yr,with the 1yr Balikbayan privilige,only available if you enter the country with your Filipino wife.

P1500 express lane fee when you apply for 59day ext and ACRI,does not make any sense,how can they charge an increased express fee for ACRI,when you have to return 3 days later to collect ACRI card,thats hardly express service.taz.gifkidding.gif

Have you actually paid this?

well my wife and i, was just there in march and we got the 1yr Balikbayan, and i don't remember paying no fee.

SkyMan

16 months.

I'm on month 12. My extensions have cost anywhere from P2,100 to P4,300.

After 16 months you can request an allowance to stay up to 2 years from the BI in Manila and i'm told they have been approving those. You still have to extend 2 months at a time though. 2 years is supposed to be the absolute max though as a tourist. Then you fly to HK and back the same day and start over.

hi skyman( or anyone who will reads this,) my understanding is that, a foriegner can stay for upto 16months in the Philippines, has changed from 12 to 16 months, but what i am not sure off , is when you apply for an extension, each time you must produce a return ticket from your country of origin, as each time i have only stayed upto 6 months, i have never had to worry about the return ticket. lapsing ,however, will the airlines allow you to keep renewing your ticket indefinitely? or will it lapse after say 12 months.,then i assume you have to fly to HK then purchase a return ticket and repeat the whole performance every 16 months? or is there an easier way? I have a filipino partner, do i have to marry her to get a visa that will last a decent period of time ? any ideas please....

Cheers!!!!

dealer (NZ)

You only need the exit ticket on arrival. The airline you are using to come may want to see it before you board and immigration may want to see it when you arrive. After that you can throw it away or whatever. It is not required when you apply for extensions. After you get extension at 14 months you'll want to apply for extending to 24 months if you plan to stay over 16. I think a letter to Manila is all that is required. Then at 16 or 24 you have to leave the country and come back with another exit ticket.

Thanks for the information Jomads - didn't know about the increased Express Lane Fee!

I have started a new thread about the changes in case it gets missed here.

"IMPORTNT - New policy at BoI"

Paul

Hi Paul, -- Et Al.,

I will have been out of RP for 16 month's when I go back next month. I have a 13A PR card.

What should I expect in the way of Penalties do you know.?

Any advise gratefully received.

EAGLE

SkyMan

Thanks for the information Jomads - didn't know about the increased Express Lane Fee!

Paul

Hi Paul, -- Et Al.,

I will have been out of RP for 16 month's when I go back next month. I have a 13A PR card.

EAGLE

The Probationary 13A is only good for a year so you are basically going to have to start over from scratch. However, you can get a 13A from the Philippine Embassy in your country. This will be a permanent 13A not the probationary. I would suggest doing this before your probationary expires as that might save you from having to get a medical.

Paul

Hi Paul, -- Et Al.,

EAGLE

The Probationary 13A is only good for a year so you are basically going to have to start over from scratch. However, you can get a 13A from the Philippine Embassy in your country. This will be a permanent 13A not the probationary. I would suggest doing this before your probationary expires as that might save you from having to get a medical.

Hi Skyman,

Thanks. Just checking my 13A . It is "Permanent" with an expiry date 2013. I thought I had to report annually to BOI ? otherwise a "Penalty" applied so I am a little worried :crack-up:

Thanks again

EAGLE

Paul

Hi Paul, -- Et Al.,

EAGLE

Hi Skyman,

Thanks. Just checking my 13A . It is "Permanent" with an expiry date 2013. I thought I had to report annually to BOI ? otherwise a "Penalty" applied so I am a little worried :crack-up:

Thanks again

EAGLE

Attaching "CUT" from 13A with the offending "Penalty" warning if not reporting Annualy???

Anyone have any info.

Thanks

Eagle

lazydays

Paul

Hi Paul, -- Et Al.,

EAGLE

Hi Skyman,

Thanks. Just checking my 13A . It is "Permanent" with an expiry date 2013. I thought I had to report annually to BOI ? otherwise a "Penalty" applied so I am a little worried shitstormretarded.gif

Thanks again

EAGLE

Attaching "CUT" from 13A with the offending "Penalty" warning if not reporting Annualy???

Anyone have any info.

Thanks

Eagle

Unfortunately i don't have the answer to your question,but its a very interesting point,what can you do if you are out of the country during the annual report months?

Im sure it will be interesting for others to hear the answer to.

Paul aka "Ancienrocka"would probably know the answer.

SkyMan

Paul

Hi Paul, -- Et Al.,

EAGLE

Hi Skyman,

Thanks. Just checking my 13A . It is "Permanent" with an expiry date 2013. I thought I had to report annually to BOI ? otherwise a "Penalty" applied so I am a little worried :censor:

Thanks again

EAGLE

Anyone have any info.

Thanks

Eagle

Ahhhhhhhh, ok. The annual reporting requirement is for those residing in the PI. Since you weren't residing in the PI, you weren't required to pay the annual fee. At least that is my understanding. Ask immigration about it when you enter at the airport. Worst case is you will have to pay the 310p there but there should be no penalty.

Eagle,

I could be wrong but it's my understanding that once an immigrant visa holder (such as 13a) would stay out of PH for a year or more then his/her would automatically lose this visa. Plus, I believe (again, as per my understanding) that the requirment of annual report is there for a reason and it's one of therms to keep an immigrant visa, which obviously you have failed to keep up. I honestly don't know if BOI in the Philippines would revoke your such visa or would charge you any penalty for not showing up for the annual report but I must say that you should be ready to give a compelling reason to them as to why you were out of the PH for such a long time; otherwise I think your status could be revoked.

Keep it in mind that an immigrant visa (such as 13a) is granted to live in the PH than outside the PH. I'm told that its a violation of Philippines Immigration laws to use an immigrant visa for non-immigrant intent. For non-immigrant intent, there are visitor and other temporary visas are available. I've personally known at least 3 persons whose 13a visa got revoked by BOI at the airport in the PH as these people were staying most of the time outside the Philippines. I'm not trying to scare you nor I'm saying that such will definately be going to happen with you; instead I'm just saying what I know of.

Good luck...

• 1 month later...

Just checked through this thread and it seems that this info I just came across on the BI Website is new or not widely known:

What is the maximum extension of stay that can be granted?

Foreigners holding temporary visitors visa pursuant to Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 and aliens admitted under E.O. 408 may extend their stay in the Philippines every 2 months for a total stay of 16 months. Extension of stay after16 months, up to 24 months need the approval of the Chief of the Immigration Regulation Division. Extension of stay after 24 months need the approval of the Commissioner. (MCL Memorandum dated 31 July 2007)

The interesting bit being that the BI Commissioner can extend BEYOND 24 months. Explains my friend getting an extension that takes him to 3 years.

Uzi.

• 2 months later...
A_Simple_Man

Just checked through this thread and it seems that this info I just came across on the BI Website is new or not widely known:

Foreigners holding temporary visitors visa pursuant to Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 and aliens admitted under E.O. 408 may extend their stay in the Philippines every 2 months for a total stay of 16 months. Extension of stay after16 months, up to 24 months need the approval of the Chief of the Immigration Regulation Division. Extension of stay after 24 months need the approval of the Commissioner. (MCL Memorandum dated 31 July 2007)

The interesting bit being that the BI Commissioner can extend BEYOND 24 months. Explains my friend getting an extension that takes him to 3 years.

Uzi.

It is well know that the BI will treat two different people two different ways so I shall update this thread with my own experience.

I arrived on a tourist visa and stayed 16 months in the normal, (legal and on time), way. At month 16 I applied for another extension, with the formal written request, and was only granted 1 additional month.

I am preparing to do a visa run, (leave country for a short while and start the tourist visa all over again), as I write this.

It is my recommendation, from this experience, that people here on tourist visas plan to leave on or before the 16 month renewal date to avoid potential problems.

musicman666

Uzi.

It is my recommendation, from this experience, that people here on tourist visas plan to leave on or before the 16 month renewal date to avoid potential problems.

I love this reserved tone... surely you could throw a few expletives in for effect.. you will feel better for it :wink:

• Like 1

If you don't mind the old ball and chain, you never have to leave the country with a 13(a) permanent resident visa (based on marriage to Philippine citizen).

To qualify that, "never" depends partly on your good behavior and partly if someone wants you gone or not.

Edited by Mik
A_Simple_Man

If you don't mind the old ball and chain, you never have to leave the country with a 13(a) permanent resident visa (based on marriage to Philippine citizen).

To qualify that, "never" depends partly on your good behavior and partly if someone wants you gone or not.

So you are saying that your wife Never nags you to take her anywhere? Like Disneyland or the US or anywhere on a vacation? I think I'll stay 'bedroom married' thanks :-)