MJones

Thinking about building a simple house in the Badian area. The thought of pre-fab/modular homes entered my head. I believe there are a couple of companies in Cebu that deal in them. But maybe outside of the cities they are not practical. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with these in the Philippines?

A_Simple_Man

I watched Aldea Homes build my place years ago.  The whole subdivision was in row houses built with pre-fab concrete slabs.  The slabs came in on a truck, precast walls and middle floor.  then they were all assembled like doll houses, welded at the joints, and sealed with concrete.  It was extremely fast, cheap and efficient to get the main building done.  However I cannot see it being worth it unless you are building a lot of houses so you get the economy of scale.

to_dave007

Perhaps not directoly relevant to this topic but....

The farm in Ontario Canada where I grew up was eventually purchased by a man who built log homes, and I visited my old homestead once3 and spoke to him.  He showed me how it worked.  In his case he bought truckloads of old wooden utility poles, and he cut them to size and built the log home right there on my old farm.. not fastened together..  perhaps not the roof..  Then they numbered all the pieces.. Toiok it apart.. loaded  it on a trck and shipped it to the buyers location.

Can't see it being very practical here in PI, especially given some of the less expensive ways they can build houses here.

Have you considered using old shipping containers.  Maybe noit a good idea unless you are talented.  But there are two hotels made out of stacked containers in Tabuelan..  and a German friend of mine built a container house in San Remegio.  If you like to see what can be done come on up our way and I'll take you to see these places. 

MJones

I have watched a few video on container homes. There are companies in Manila that specialize in these. One would have to have the right skill set to be able to do it yourself. I sure would not be capable. In Manila I saw a restaurant the is made from containers. Seen many buildings in Taiwan made of them.

Jester
17 hours ago, MJones said:

Thinking about building a simple house in the Badian area. The thought of pre-fab/modular homes entered my head. I believe there are a couple of companies in Cebu that deal in them. But maybe outside of the cities they are not practical. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with these in the Philippines?

For many having the skill set to do a project is not the object.  Learning as much as possible and then learning as you go on the project is goal.   You can do it, if you want.