Volunteering

GwapoGuy

Looking to put in some time volunteering. Maybe once a week for a local or foreiegner. Does anyone have any ideas or possibilities?

HappyinPH

Tell us a bit more about the kinds of work you enjoy doing and the kinds you don't like doing, then I expect you'll get some suggestions.

to_dave007

In my town I volnteered for a while at the local university, and delivered a small series of computer related seminars to the students. There was a USA Peace Corp volunteer there at the same time, teaching English.  I stopped when the pandemic interrupted face to face classes, and don't plan to continue.

My town also has a small volunteer club called ACT..  Association of Concerned Tuburanons..  that raises donations and sponsors 6 to 10 students a year to the local university, and delivere free food occasional to the poor, andorgaizes beach clean up .  It's run by well meaning and senior members of the town.  I was active for a while..  but again.. it fell off during the pandemic.  A good way to know the "who's who" in town..  from the Mayor on down.

• Like 1

Although vountering is an admirable thig to do, it's not always seen that way in the Philippines if you are a foreigner.  You are only allowed to do volunteer work if your Visa status allows.  A tourist visa does not permit volunteer work.

to_dave007
34 minutes ago, Edd said:

Although vountering is an admirable thig to do, it's not always seen that way in the Philippines if you are a foreigner.  You are only allowed to do volunteer work if your Visa status allows.  A tourist visa does not permit volunteer work.

I'm sure they can distinguish between someone "working" 30+ hours a week as a "volunteer"..  and someone who pitches in occasionally as part of a community.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

I'm sure they can distinguish between someone "working" 30+ hours a week as a "volunteer"..  and someone who pitches in occasionally as part of a community.

I have no doubt whatsoever in your reply, exactly what my views are I might add.  However, should somebody find themselves in an unfortunate situation with a Filpino that is looking for revenge in any way then that is not the case.  A couple of years ago I actually went to the BI and asked that very question and it would appear that if some body makes a complaint regarding any form of vounteering, regardless of the nature of it and the hours involved, that person will be seen as breaking the terms of their visa if their visa doesn't permit voluntary work.  That is just what I was told by the Immigration Officer and for sure, every individual would decide for themselves what they want to do.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
Edwin
6 hours ago, Edd said:

I have no doubt whatsoever in your reply, exactly what my views are I might add.  However, should somebody find themselves in an unfortunate situation with a Filpino that is looking for revenge in any way then that is not the case.  A couple of years ago I actually went to the BI and asked that very question and it would appear that if some body makes a complaint regarding any form of vounteering, regardless of the nature of it and the hours involved, that person will be seen as breaking the terms of their visa if their visa doesn't permit voluntary work.  That is just what I was told by the Immigration Officer and for sure, every individual would decide for themselves what they want to do.

Do you know of any instance where this occurred? Was there a trial and conviction? What was the penalty? Were they deported?

A_Simple_Man
26 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Was there a trial and conviction?

In a deportation case?  You've gotta be kidding.  People are ex-judiciously sent to Camp Bagong Diwa by the BI and held there until deportation, which is usually on their own dime so can take a while.  If ya know someone it has happened to, ya know.  If not then find out for yourself.  Up to you, as they say.

to_dave007

This country attracts a lot of foreigners who come here for a variety of reasons..  be it marriage..  retirement..  the sea air..  escape..  or a myriad of other reasons.

The government is well aware that MANY of these foreigners are undesirable and frankly they don't want them here..  Pedophiles..  criminals..  those with no money..  illegally working here..  over-stayers..  and the like.  The neighbours of these people don't want them here, the community doesn't want them here..  the government does not want them here.. and the BI does not want them here.

But what of the other side of the coin..  the GOOD foreigners.. the DESIRABLE foreigners.. the QUIET foreigners.

If an otherwise well behaved foreigner living a quiet life here should come to the attention of the BI for joining a once a month feeding program for the poor in his community, there is NO WAY IN HELL that this foreigner will be kicked out of the country for breaching the terms of his tourist visa for that volunteering alone.  Sure.. they may speak to him..  they may ask him to be less visible..  but there is no way that a case against him would succeed all the way up through the levels of the BI that it would need to go to actually deport him.  People who work for the BI..  contrary to what others may believe.. are THEMSELVES members of the community..  and many.. even in the BI.. would applaud and defend any man who should act in a positive constructive way within his community by joining a once a month feeding program.  My God.. think of the optics that a deportation for such nefarious activity would create.  You think the BI would want that? They would FIND a way to turn a blind eye.  

So..  @Edd..  we will have to agree to disagree.    No harm..  We are both entitled to our opinion.

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man
5 hours ago, Edwin said:

Do you know of any instance where this occurred?

Some hit the news, if they are high profile like this Nun

. . . Immigration officials have accused the nun, who has worked in rural communities for 27 years, of being an "undesirable alien" for joining protest rallies and visiting political prisoners. . .

https://www.catholicregister.org/home/international/item/27203-philippines-to-deport-australian-nun-who-advocated-for-farmers

We will never know the whole, true story.  But really, you have to piss someone off to get deported.  Thus I agree totally with Edd when he says:

12 hours ago, Edd said:

. . . should somebody find themselves in an unfortunate situation with a Filpino that is looking for revenge in any way then that is not the case.

• Thanks 1
MickyG

the nun was NOT deported for being a volunteer. she was deported for being involved in political protests . Foreigners are told repeatedly no matter what visa they are on they must NEVER EVER under law be involved in domestic politics.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
RogerDuMond
15 hours ago, MickyG said:

the nun was NOT deported for being a volunteer. she was deported for being involved in political protests . Foreigners are told repeatedly no matter what visa they are on they must NEVER EVER under law be involved in domestic politics.  

And she belonged to a group approved by the PNVSCA.

to_dave007
7 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

And she belonged to a group approved by the PNVSCA.

PNVSCA = Philippine National Volunteer Service Coordinating Agency  (https://www.pnvsca.gov.ph/)

sorry.. i was curious.

A_Simple_Man
3 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

PNVSCA = Philippine National Volunteer Service Coordinating Agency  (https://www.pnvsca.gov.ph/)

Great link.  AND it answers the question.
temp.thumb.jpg.d2a49a9d90d5153c76ab7d2cf91427c1.jpg

• Thanks 1
Edwin
48 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Great link.  AND it answers the question.
temp.thumb.jpg.d2a49a9d90d5153c76ab7d2cf91427c1.jpg

If you look hard enough you can find justification for not helping anyone. Like me and housework.

Edited by Edwin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2