Sign in to follow this  
broden

Lechon how to

thebob

Any idea where to source a motor like that? I noticed it was 110v so I guess you imported it.

For the lechon manok they seem to use windscreen wiper motors.

Nice looking cook out, what was the beer/tanduay : lechon ratio ?

I'm planing lechon pabo for Christmas.

TORJAK

oh man so sorry my bad .. my sis had the pics in her camera and i had to wait for her to send them from me .. alot of pics as you can imagine .. then i went through and was concetrating on the setup ... i got one of it done..and one i posted while i was cooking that night too of it about half way done

as you can see i tend to put them farther to one side of the skewer when i can .. just to keep the heat a bit off the motor .. but i've had them close to the motor before too in the past never seemed to bother it a bit

half way cooked (actually it could of been taken off and eaten at this point but as i said i wanted to go for a long cook time and it was still the middle of the night

ok here is the finished product .. i know it looks dark and it is but it's in no way burnt and part of that dark is just the picture itself .. by the way under the pig and the aluminumfoil trays we cut up to put under it ( 3 of them) is covered in foil my pig board .. a big slab of 3/4 inch plywood i use only to carry my cooked pigs on .. sturdy and a great way to transport it from outside to inside

gallery_2443_106_36556.jpg

for good measure here's a couple of pics of one i made in the past

2199389725_38c31eb3ea_m.jpg

2201116769_088a321bb0_m.jpg

overcooked.. to much heat

broden

Any idea where to source a motor like that? I noticed it was 110v so I guess you imported it.

For the lechon manok they seem to use windscreen wiper motors.

Nice looking cook out, what was the beer/tanduay : lechon ratio ?

I'm planing lechon pabo for Christmas.

i'm in the states .. but i got that motor from a guy in arizona .. but they don't seem that hard to find .. least not here .. they are a bit heavy though so overseas shipping (barring the use of a balikbayan box) would be a good little bit ... but just use google or yahoo shopping and type in the stuff from the labels i pictures .. ac gearmotors , dayton, model 3m326a 4rpm .. that stuff and plenty should pop up

a guy i used to know who was a big bbq guy said he made something similar using a washing machine motor .. never did really get to talk to him about it but i would guess you would have to gear it way down somehow

haha that pig was for my kids 4th birthday we had soda .. but everyone was too busy eating so not all that much soda got drank .. i ended up with several extra cases to drink over the never several weeks

hey turkey works great .. we did one for my mother in laws birthday .. i think there are a few pics in my gallery here of it ... next time i do one though i think i might try brining it first just to see how it comes out ...

i love deep fried turkey .. but this was so much better then fried it wasn't even funny

yeah go for it it'll be the hit of christmas

• Like 1

broden

overcooked.. to much heat

maybe .. i mean i'm surely no expert and i try different heats and lengths and other things each time i make one .. but i never made a dry one and they sure always disappear fast .. that last one was on very low heat and a longer cooking time then i ever tried before .. the pics do make it look a bit darker then it really was .. but what also made it darker was that i brushed coconut milk over it for basically the entire cooking time

next time ,not sure when that will be just yet , i'm gonna try a bit more heat but a much shorter cooking time .. like 8 to 10 hours .. and brush the outside with oil and salt ..not continuously just at the start

the coconut milk thing was a thai twist i saw on a tv show actually.. and the coating the next one with salt is done elsewhere (i forget where) .. what can i say i like to try different things

one last pointer when ever you cook something like this outdoors that take hours .. put up a canopy or something .. i always do .. and it's rained pretty much every time i've ever made a pig .. that last one it stormed .. luckily the canopy i have has sides that zipper shut .. but i was still manually holding the whole thing in place cause the wind was really whipping ...the storm blew it self out happily though while i worked and everyone else slept

someday i'm gonna try a side or quarter of beef on that thing and a deer wouldn't be so bad either i think

hilyfe

Geez this thread makes me hungry

Looks good

• Like 1

cvgtpc1

My family will make a beautiful lechon baboy...and proceed to hack it to pieces so each bite has meat fat and bone in it.  I don't even attempt to eat it anymore.