Sign in to follow this  
broden

Lechon how to

broden
That's why I call her "Garbage Gut". :D

:) man i'm just not gonna say a single word

Agnes
oh man so sorry my bad .. my sis had the pics in her camera and i had to wait for her to send them from me .. alot of pics as you can imagine .. then i went through and was concetrating on the setup ... i got one of it done..and one i posted while i was cooking that night too of it about half way done

as you can see i tend to put them farther to one side of the skewer when i can .. just to keep the heat a bit off the motor .. but i've had them close to the motor before too in the past never seemed to bother it a bit

half way cooked (actually it could of been taken off and eaten at this point but as i said i wanted to go for a long cook time and it was still the middle of the night

gallery_2443_106_29620.jpg

ok here is the finished product .. i know it looks dark and it is but it's in no way burnt and part of that dark is just the picture itself .. by the way under the pig and the aluminumfoil trays we cut up to put under it ( 3 of them) is covered in foil my pig board .. a big slab of 3/4 inch plywood i use only to carry my cooked pigs on .. sturdy and a great way to transport it from outside to inside

gallery_2443_106_36556.jpg

YUMMY!

for good measure here's a couple of pics of one i made in the past

2199389725_38c31eb3ea_m.jpg

2201116769_088a321bb0_m.jpg

tim

Thanks for all of your work...and it looks like it is a lot of work....

Tim Walker

volstateguy

Man you're making me hungry...the lechon in your pictures looks delicious. I can't wait to get back to Cebu and have some.

broden
Thanks for all of your work...and it looks like it is a lot of work....

Tim Walker

no problem .. the thanks i get is the feast once it's done.. it is a bit of work but it's fun too

and volstateguy trust me everyone we've ever done was delicious... couldn't wait to get back to Cebu myself ..that's why i started making my own lechon several years ago :)

broden

LechonMan

Hero to the Hungry

gallery_2443_106_27312.jpg

this is for my son he was begging me to post this :)

Alan S

I see that the pig was minus a lot of fairly important parts. (Important to the pig, I mean).

Can you get it with all its full entitlement of "bits and pieces" included?

The reason I ask is that one can make superb brawn out of the brains etc, sausages from the intestines, and sweetbreads sliced and fried are lovely.

(For those who dont know what sweetbreads are, there are two of them, but only on male pigs.)

broden
I see that the pig was minus a lot of fairly important parts. (Important to the pig, I mean).

The reason I ask is that one can make superb brawn out of the brains etc, sausages from the intestines, and sweetbreads sliced and fried are lovely.

(For those who dont know what sweetbreads are, there are two of them, but only on male pigs.)

i could get live pigs around here and raise one myself .. but with the kid the job and 3 going on 4 dogs just not gonna go that route .. that would be the only way..

besides if i tried to raise just 1 pig i know my kid would name it and that would be that .. pet pig :lol:

the ones i get from the restaurant supply butcher are gutted the head (brains tongue eyes) are completely intact but the body cavity is totally hollow with the occasional exception (about 50% of the time) of the kidneys ... never have asked why they leave those in sometime .. but sometime they do

years back i did have someone give me a fresh killed pig once a little one and we did indeed use it all from tail to snout .. hairy little sucker .. i'll never forget watching my wife actually using one of my old razors to shave it down :lol: funny but true and it worked well .. wouldn't advise it though ... but it was a small pig .. 30 or 35 pounds

broden

sooner or later i'm gonna try a turkey on this set up .. thinking of doing one on my next vacation in july .. i'll say it's for my mother in laws birthday .. she loves turkey

my brother usually has a big turkey fry leading in to thanksgiving so we've done our thanksgiving birds that way for years .. but i figure i can easily fit 5 big birds on this setup easy so i may go that route if the single one i hope to make comes out good.. and i bet it will

mikejwoodnz

Well done Broden ! My last memory of Cebu is seeing the lechon being roasted on the side of the road as we drove to the Airport at dawn. We have also lived in The Gilarmi, Makati for several months at a time and delighted in buying from Rustan's lechon cut off the whole pig roasted in store - also hot roasted chestnuts, live fish and crabs, buko etc etc. Expensive of course from Rustan's, Makati, but washed down with the 20p San Miguel I convinced myself that the values balanced out.

broden
Well done Broden ! My last memory of Cebu is seeing the lechon being roasted on the side of the road as we drove to the Airport at dawn. We have also lived in The Gilarmi, Makati for several months at a time and delighted in buying from Rustan's lechon cut off the whole pig roasted in store - also hot roasted chestnuts, live fish and crabs, buko etc etc. Expensive of course from Rustan's, Makati, but washed down with the 20p San Miguel I convinced myself that the values balanced out.

thank ya .. and you bet you got a good value for your money ... besides i was always taught if you must spend some money spend it on something you can eat :lol:

man you're getting me hungry now

broden

here's a closeup pic i just realized i had of that same lechon .. you can see the ears are still secured down over the eyes

moments later this litte piggy went bye bye

gallery_2443_106_29286.jpg

aka

I thought sweetbreads were the glands from the neck??

katgonzaga

Good thing Im in Cebu ... It's easy to buy one when I'm craving. I think I'll pass on cooking it myself :D

Cary

Well done with everything Broden. Great job and I bet it was great eating too! biggrin_01.gifphil.gif

here's a closeup pic i just realized i had of that same lechon .. you can see the ears are still secured down over the eyes

moments later this litte piggy went bye bye

gallery_2443_106_29286.jpg